Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to try our local kennel club (fully expecting it may be a conformation only thing but looking forward to it anyways) and our obedience club. Am interested in the ESS club but since "local" means central OR to SW Washington, activities are spread out.

Has anyone done anything like this and what was your experience?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
We go every Wednesday to our KC's conformation practice. We do not do formal obedience classes (only recently started doing obedience shows), because pretty much everyone in that KC are conformation people. But if someone wants a run through we help them. There is a local obedience club, but I have heard the members are not very nice.

I think practices are great socialization specially for younger dogs.

I am apart of the local All breed club (club that holds the classes)
Local Bulldog club (akc affliated)
NC weim club (akc affiliated)
Both national bulldog and weim clubs
And the DC area weim club (akc affiliated)
Local non sporting breed club (brand new club)

The closest one is the all breed club and non sporting club.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I know my local obedience club has a range of classes, from some that simply focus on socialization to Canine Good Citizen to agility, rally, etc. I would think that's pretty standard for obedience schools across the board. I'd probably just do a search, maybe go check out the facility and talk to some people there first.

I'm a huge fan of obedience school!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
We're members of a local training club. It's not affiliated with a kennel club, but is focused solely on training from puppy kindergarten to competition-level sports. I love it! We've been able to take a variety of classes, I've met great people, and it's a fun (although sometimes frustrating) hobby for us. I just added up that we've been able to take $1335 worth of classes for the $450 membership fee, volunteering at 2 events, and attending quarterly meeting - seems like a great deal to me.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I occasionally attend Rally run throughs or matches at our local obedience club. I don't take classes there because I can't fit it into my schedule but I like the drop in stuff for practice before trials. I also always enter their trials.

I'm also a member of the local agility club. I would definitely check it out. All clubs tend to vary a bit on how active they are, what all they offer to the public vs members, how many trials they host, how welcoming they ect. I have had a great experience with my agility club.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Years ago I joined a local K+O club and got (willingly?) sucked into the vortex. Next thing I know I'm putting titles on dogs, and I joined all of the clubs I could find within a hundred mile radius.

Beware, the addiction.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Our local kennel club's stuff is largely open to all dogs, not just purebreds, which is nice. The idea is that even if you can't compete in a certain thing with a particular dog, maybe you still want to practice it with the dog that you have, or do it just for fun. I've taken a few of their classes and gone to some events. Nice people. Some kind of weird ones, but that's to be expected in niche hobbies, lol. They are kind of sporadic on stuff other than conformation (which I find hugely boring), though, so I generally go to an independent training center that has more variety of stuff, offered more often.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
A couple months ago I took some rally classes with a local kennel club. They offered variety of classes (obedience, rally, agility, conformation, etc) and the quality of the instruction was good. Similar to other training places I have gone that were not a "club" and just owned by a single person.

I have heard bad things about another local club being snobby to new comers, so I guess it all depends. The people I met through the club I went to were very nice. I also took agility classes with an agility only club. I haven't tried to join a club since it hasn't been a good time in my life to be volunteering for things, but I would be open to it if I found a club that I clicked with some day.

We don't have a local breed club for my breed. There is a national breed club and I'm a member of that, so I get the magazine and stuff, but the closest local clubs are quite far away.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I have belonged to an AKC member kennel club in the area for a very VERY long time (my mom was a member when I was born and I have always gone) I train Obedience, Agility, and Conformation there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts