Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here geocaches with their dog. I think this is an absolutely fantastic passtime and my dogs just love coming with me. I cannot decide which I like better hiding them and haing others find them or hunting for them. I am planning some snowshoeing geocaching soon as I live in New England.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Belly and I go all the time. :)

...In the 4 months out of the year where it's not freezing temps with snow on the ground.

*siiiiiigh*

·
Registered
404 Posts
Tell me more! I didn't know this existed, I'm reading lots of sites but never knew anyone who has done it. How did/do you get started? How do you know where to search? This is fascinating!

And yes, I'd totally take my dogs, lol...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thank you, thank you, to the OP and Keechak too!

I have been reading all about this for the last hour solid (letterboxing, too!) and I have a list of things I want to have ready to take on outings. I found out that I have walked past several caches and letterboxes on my hikes and trails, some of them many, many times. It's hunting season through this week so I may wait before trying some of them out (despite that my dogs and I wear orange, I tend to respect hunters and stay out of prime deer territory except on Sundays.)

And yup, I'll definitely take my dogs. It will be so much more fun with them!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've become a monster. Got two caches yesterday and have at least one or two I will be picking up while I'm on my way to my mother-in-law's today, lol...

I came back here to post this link, though: www.dogcacher.com I have only just begun exploring it but I thought the OP and other cachers might be interested :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks StarfishSaving! I checked out the www.dogcacher.com site. I am going to share some of my favorite caches there and upload some of my favorite pics of me and my dogs out caching. My name on the site is raecacher so check out my stuff when you have a chance. Happy caching!!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks, rae, I will! I'm starfishsaving there as well. I'm on the site now planning for a few grabs tomorrow. I took my foster dog caching today but it got really cold and windy- 20-24 degrees with a few inches of snow on the ground, snowing and blowing! I got 3 quick grabs and we hiked for about half an hour with the dogs. When I find nice dog friendly places I will be adding them to dogcacher so others can enjoy a day out with their pooches.

My best friend and husband are shaking their heads at how quickly I've immersed myself in geocaching but I find this the PERFECT activity for me and it's really helping with the "winter blahs." I can hang with my dogs, exercise my photography skills, get some exercise and go on a treasure hunt!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
This sounds like a blast.
So a GPS is necessary? Keechak, how did you train your dog to track the caches? I don't mean the actual process of training to track. That I know. Wikipedia said that the caches are usually little tupperware boxes. Is there a specific thing I should buy to teach Kaki? I want to cheat to.:p

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
This sounds like a blast.
So a GPS is necessary? Keechak, how did you train your dog to track the caches? I don't mean the actual process of training to track. That I know. Wikipedia said that the caches are usually little tupperware boxes. Is there a specific thing I should buy to teach Kaki? I want to cheat to.:p
I haven't actually used Hawk to find a track yet but in theory I could stalk my area for active caches in remote locations and then put him in harness and have him sniff out and follow the trail of the other geocachers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts