Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have their dog sit and stay before crossing a street? It's something some, if not all, service dogs do I believe-I have friends who train dogs so I got that idea from them. When we take Maddie on walks, we have her sit and look up at one of us for like 3 seconds, to get her attention on us and not be distracted, and give her a treat or a praise. Our goal for this is to have her stop before getting in the street if she were to be off leash and walk ahead of us. No clue if this works or not. She enjoys this because she loves the treats. She's getting really good at looking up because she knows a treat's waiting to be gobbled up.
Has anyone else done this, and is it effective? I honestly don't know if she'll
"get it" and will stop on her own-I dont know if she can see the difference in sidewalk and street or if she's just too distracted to notice and won't listen to us say "maddie, stop" (she knows stop) or some other command to get her to stop, such as sit or something.

(I'm not asking for people to tell me if it's a good idea or not, just asking if they've done it and if it's effective--I dont want to be told "you're controlling, why do you do that?")

Thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
301 Posts
I do with my dogs. The reason behind it is I don't want them darting into the street even if they are on a leash! It is also just a training aid and teaching listening skill since we are away from THEIR yard, that way I know I can still controll them even with words and they will listen...if that makes any sense!

·
Banned
352 Posts
Guide dogs are taught to stop at curbs and intersections, then wait for a command to go forward, but normally do not "sit and stay" before proceeding. The dog will always wait for the handler to command them before moving.
My wifes Guide will always stop at corners, intersections, curbs, and areas of uneven pavement and wait until my wife has determined what the obstacle/situation is. Then she will continue when given the "forward/left/right/whatever" command. If she is at a long light at a crossing, she may have her Guide sit until she can continue, but that is not something that is normally taught during training. It is a good thing for all dogs to learn.
I would be a bit concerned about having the dog off lead around traffic, no matter how sparse.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes, Mabel is quite used to sitting before crossing the street. She can occassionally (okay, often) be a leash-tugger, so we wanted her to at least be trained to come to a stop and sit at a street.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Yes, we stop and sit at every street crossing...or even when we pass the elementary school on our walk we stop ever time we come to a curb (where the buses pull out from and the parking lot entrance) :)

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Of course, I'd tell her it's ok to go and not have her just go after staying for whatever amount of time. If she gets up and steps out, she gets a tug and a sit again.

I dont think I'd taker her off leash in traffic areas, but you never know what situations there may be in the future. If for any reason she somehow escapes (we always keep her tag on, she has a chip in her, she knows not to leave out of an open door-not that we leave her unattended by an open door-and she can't escape from the yard- but accidents happen) if she knows not to dart into a street and will sit by the curb. It would be funny, but really smart in a way, if she waited and waited for permission to go, but no owner is there so she will never have permission until she's found and taken back on a leash.

We are slowly getting her off leash in certain areas like the beach because she doesnt like small kids and will go off and not come back when called, and who knows her reaction to people and other dogs-she just wants to play-so we are apprehensive about unleashing her in many places, even off leash places. But if she doesnt get practice, she won't learn. However, I dont want her hurting anyone.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Of course, I'd tell her it's ok to go and not have her just go after staying for whatever amount of time. If she gets up and steps out, she gets a tug and a sit again.

I dont think I'd taker her off leash in traffic areas, but you never know what situations there may be in the future. We are slowly getting her off leash in certain areas like the beach because she doesnt like small kids and will go off and not come back when called, and who knows her reaction to people and other dogs-she just wants to play-so we are apprehensive about unleashing her in many places, even off leash places. But if she doesnt get practice, she won't learn. However, I dont want her hurting anyone.
train her first witht he leash on at all times. But I highly suggest no matter how good a dog obeys etc to NOT take the leash off in or around traffic areas

·
Registered
84 Posts
BW is pretty good about stopping when I do, but as extra insurance I've tought him that when I say "wait," he plops his butt down on the ground and won't move until I say okay.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
train her first witht he leash on at all times. But I highly suggest no matter how good a dog obeys etc to NOT take the leash off in or around traffic areas
That's what I was saying in my retraction...I dont think I'd be taking her off leash in traffic areas. She's always on a leash in those areas. That would be very dumb of me. But if she escapes for any reason.
However, if I was walking on a trail with her unleashed and she walked ahead and it ended up leading to a street, she'd be able to stop, hopefully.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
My last girl was trained to stop at cross walks; and yes, she did it off lead even. It does take a while though, to full engrain it, and before I let her off lead (on nightly walks), I would use a Flexi so she could still 'wander within reason' and I could put the brake on if I had to, should she not stop when I asked her to. Granted the areas I walked her in are very low traffic, especially at night, but it was still beneficial I think.

My poodle puppy is learning this now, but I wouldn't trust him for a long time yet (he's only 10 mos old).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yep, it is something I am working on with Ruby. It will be a long time before I would trust her without a command though! But she is getting it with the command pretty quickly. There is not much traffic here, but I am sure we will move somewhere with traffic at some point, and I want to have her prepared for it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I mostly trained Dandi to stop at the road to work on her stop command, but I'm also teaching her to look for traffic when we do stop. I don't know if she understands what she's looking for, but it's cute to see her stop and look both ways nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I trained my last one to always stop at a road and not cross unless I said ok when she was young, but I dropped it and untrained it for some reason.

It was quite a while back so I don't intimately recall the decision process and why I decided not to continue with it.

She was 99% off leash anyway, and really I didn't need it.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Alvin "waits" at all curbs, but I can tell you from personal experience that without the verbal command, it's useless for him.

We had workmen at the house one day and one of them left the door open. None of us were paying as much attention as we should have been and Alvin got out. He trotted merrily down the sidewalk, never stopping at a single curb.

It could be that he would continue to respond to the verbal command, even if he were off leash, but I will never have a chance to test that theory as I live in Los Angeles. There are no traffic free streets here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts