Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on here does Rally? There is a class starting here next week and I have thought about taking it. I just wondered if anyone does it what they think about it and if it is something they enjoy.

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
We're going to. Take the class! :) Even if you don't get into rally, it will give you something fun to do for a while and you'll learn something.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Rally can be a wonderful stepping stone to formal obedience or just fun to do even if you don't go on to Obedience. The Rally exercises/stations are all the exercises you need to master in Obedience. The nice part is that you can talk to your dog throughout the course, issue mutlple commands or even retry a station. It's not as rigid as formal Obedience and the dogs and handlers really enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I love Rally O and hope to start competing soon through the AKC. APDT also puts on trials.

In addition to taking classes, I suggest you order the books "Click Your Way to Rally Obedience" by Pamela Dennison and "Clicker Training for Obedience" by Morgan Spector to help get you started.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Go for it, do it. Rally is a lot of fun, much funner than regular Obedience, IMO. Betty was a pro at it, as long as there were no other dogs around, lol. I'm currently working with Chloe in Rally Novice, which she needs some more work on. But she's getting there. I also had tried doing it with Nell before Chloe, but her energy levels were just too high that we decided to do Agility instead, and are starting up with Agility here again soon. We did 2 Agility Foundations classes, and now we will be starting Agility I. Going to be fun. But yes, Rally is a lot of fun. Some things for you to learn for sure, but it's something you will really enjoy, as well as your dog.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
We started rally in March of this year to help the dogs transition to the ring...and we are having a great time. APDT rally for us, but as mentioned the AKC has rally, as does the UKC.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I took one course in Rally O and really enjoyed it. Thinking of trying another one.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I also took a rally class. I liked it, but I like agility better. It certainly cant hurt to try, though.. I am glad I did!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I do! I don't do the classes though, I just taught myself and my dogs. There's a SUPER SUPER BOOK out there that you oughta snag if you can.

"Doodle By Design: The Comprenhesive Guide to Rally Obedience"

I think you can get it here. www.dogwoodagility.com/store

·
Registered
189 Posts
I hate to be the negative Nancy, but I think Rally is boooooring.:cool: (Yep, thats the "Im too cool for Rally" smiley!) I guess just in comparison to other dog sports.

However, it is really good practice and I enjoy any time spent with my dogs, especially working with them. It is good for you and the dog to practice obedience in different atmospheres so definately take the class. I mean, even though I'm not a huge fan I still go on Thursdays that I don't have to work. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been thinking about doing rally too. Now that i'm not in 4h anymore, i'm looking to get involved in some AKC sport. I did rally at a fun match and I won the Novice class with no practice at all. I probably would've won the advanced class too, but Kiki has no idea what a jump is, lol. I'm trying to decide if i want to do agility, rally, or obedience.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Just as a fun sidenote...if you do UKC rally the championship titles are UROCs, lol. So it could be UROC Webster (sub in your dog's name).

I gotta say, as far as titles go, that one's pretty fantastic lol:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Everyone for all of the great replies and responses! I spoke with the obedience School owner over the weekend. We decided to pass on starting the rally and see how our agility class finishes first. But, rally does sound very interesting and like something I will keep in mind for the future though.

Again THANKS EVERYONE! :D

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I hate to be the negative Nancy, but I think Rally is boooooring.:cool: (Yep, thats the "Im too cool for Rally" smiley!) I guess just in comparison to other dog sports.

However, it is really good practice and I enjoy any time spent with my dogs, especially working with them. It is good for you and the dog to practice obedience in different atmospheres so definately take the class. I mean, even though I'm not a huge fan I still go on Thursdays that I don't have to work. ;)
I don't think it is too boring. It is the basics your need for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi4qvMmWJWs

Which I think is pretty cool!

·
Registered
29 Posts
We've done rally in the past and look forward to getting back into the ring this summer. Its a great stepping stone for more advanced work!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts