Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you facebook for being the place where I generally get more aggravation then answers.

Anyway I asked this on an all dog group for my step uncle, he doesn't do the internet so I agreed to help him out. But apparently my question was to subtile for this group to get so I came to the forum. Where I always get an answer and always learn something I didn't know before :) .

Little about my step uncle:
~ He has owned rottis and GSDs since he started out on his own (he left home when he was 18 and he is now 65)
~ He vowed to never own another rotti again after his last one (his heart dog) named Sugar passed away
- she was abused very badly by men and it took him 2 years (and many treats plus er visits) for them to become best friends
~ His wife doesn't want another Shepherd due to his shedding (he does shed worse then the rottis ever did)
~ my step uncle brings his dogs where ever he can
~ he owns his home with a large plot of land, neighbors on both sides are his kids and grandkids
~ at my urging he did go to a dog show to meet some Dobermans which pretty much made him set on wanting one
- in going he also found a couple potential breeders (3)

Hes done his research (mostly through books and print outs I give him plus information from the dog show). However he wants first hand knowledge of them from people who own them. Hey Id rather here it straight from the horse's mouth over reading it somewhere. So what is some first hand information you Dobie owners can give him?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Meant to add this as well... it's my uncle's saying sorts: Treat the dog how you would like to be treated and you'll be friends for life."

Also based off a Facebook reply (don't know why it was asked) but they feed raw. Usually during hunting season the dogs get fresh game (venison, bear, quail, duck if he arranges it the rare treat of elk) mixed with the other meats to balance the diet.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Be careful with bear meat, seen more than one warning about bacteria issue from feeding it.

Past that best wishes with finding the right dog or pup.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
My neighbors Dobermans saved me as a kid.. Was being followed by a vehicle on my road. Walking back to my house from my friends a vehicle past me after dark then suddenly turned around in the middle of the road. I started running but would not make it back to my house so I jumped into my neighbors house to knock on their door. But the neighbors not home. I sat on the porch and the car pulled into the drive way. and a guy got out saying he didnt think that was my house.. My neighbors two Dobes crawled out from under the porch and bolted to the guy at the gate full force barking at them. The guys jumped back in their car and drove off.. The two dobermans came back to me sitting on the porch smelled me then lay down on each side of me. I had never been by myself in the yard with the dogs before. Only been over when my neighbor was out with them. I got up thanked them and walked to the gate and left. They were cool and ok with me leaving. Told my neighbor what happen and that his dogs saved me.. He let me come and feed them while they were on vacation for a week and the dogs were great with me, never once made me feel uneasy around them. I like the breed.. The only thing that was ever mentioned was something about not being able to have multiple dogs with them????? not sure what that exactly ment so you would have to ask someone in the breed about it...

Going to the breeders home and spending time listening to why they are in the breed and what they like about their own dogs will give you a good idea of what to expect from their puppies, and meeting the breeders dogs...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be careful with bear meat, seen more than one warning about bacteria issue from feeding it.

Past that best wishes with finding the right dog or pup.
Game meat he usually cooks before giving it to them. He raises most of his other meats so feeds that raw. Would cooking the meat help kill the bacteria or just get rid of it entirley.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My neighbors Dobermans saved me as a kid.. Was being followed by a vehicle on my road. Walking back to my house from my friends a vehicle past me after dark then suddenly turned around in the middle of the road. I started running but would not make it back to my house so I jumped into my neighbors house to knock on their door. But the neighbors not home. I sat on the porch and the car pulled into the drive way. and a guy got out saying he didnt think that was my house.. My neighbors two Dobes crawled out from under the porch and bolted to the guy at the gate full force barking at them. The guys jumped back in their car and drove off.. The two dobermans came back to me sitting on the porch smelled me then lay down on each side of me. I had never been by myself in the yard with the dogs before. Only been over when my neighbor was out with them. I got up thanked them and walked to the gate and left. They were cool and ok with me leaving. Told my neighbor what happen and that his dogs saved me.. He let me come and feed them while they were on vacation for a week and the dogs were great with me, never once made me feel uneasy around them. I like the breed.. The only thing that was ever mentioned was something about not being able to have multiple dogs with them????? not sure what that exactly ment so you would have to ask someone in the breed about it...

Going to the breeders home and spending time listening to why they are in the breed and what they like about their own dogs will give you a good idea of what to expect from their puppies, and meeting the breeders dogs...
Thank you I will definitely pass this along to him : )

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My next door neighbor had 2 Dobermans when they moved in. They weren't allowed in the house because new hubby was allergic. They barked 24 hours a day and only gave up after a year. This wasn't alert barking, they were upset because they had to be outside. They would escape regularly and come up to people looking for pets and were easily put back in the yard. Really nice dogs. My first dog would 'hug' them which is incredibly rude and they took it.

BIL had a giant one. Had to teach him to alert bark because he was also everybody's buddy. People were terrified of him due to size, color and of course breed but he was the biggest love. Did not care for my toddler son but his glare warned us before there was ever a snap and son was warned to stay clear when Buddy was relaxing on the floor. Buddy died from bloat when he was quite old, maybe 12. He was too large, active and difficult to travel with so wasn't replaced with another Doberman.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I have a brown and rust Doberman female. She was 11 weeks old when I got her, her ears are natural and is generally a good dog but did take a lot of work to train. Very active, likes to do Agility training but not keen at trials. Does not really like strange dogs but is good with my little Shih Tzu x Maltese. I would definitely never get another one as prefer dogs that get along with other dogs, they don't have to love strange dogs but hate having to be careful with her around other dogs. Has been going to Doggy Daycare since she was a pup and does get along fine with the other dogs when I am not there. She is six years old Christmas Eve.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figured is update and let you all know he's got a Puppy :) by a stroke of fate it seems. A 5 month old male Rotti.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts