Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Doberman Pinscher Owners,

I have a 4 month old Dobe Puppy named Sofie... She doesn't listen to me at all. She knows what to do, she know her name but she only chooses to listen when she wants to. She is soooo playful and is not able to focus at all. I think she is a smart dog but I have problems training her because of her VERY VERY LIMITED concentration. When I take her to the dog park and ask her to come by calling her name, she would ignore me and continue sniffing the grass at her own leisure. What should I expect from a 4 month old Doberman Puppy? She's soo playful and is curious about everything!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
How much time have you put into training recall with her? Does she come when you call her at home? Recall takes a lot of practice and you need to make coming to you more interesting than anything else she might be doing by offering tasty rewards and training with fun games like chase (she chases you) or hide and go seek where she gets to find you.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
How long have you had her?
What training have you done with her?
How do you train her (what methods)?
How often do you train her?
What do you do for fun with her?

4 months is REALLY young, she's just a baby.
Also, recall is a command that you will work on throughout the life of your pup. My boy is a little over a year old and his recall is only 95%. You have to teach it to her before you can expect it and the dog park is a hard place to expect perfect (or any) recall from a puppy. Put yourself in her "shoes" - what's more fun between mom and new dogs/new smells? I think that you probably need to slow down and be a little more patient. Training takes a ton of patience and persistance and, while dobes are a super smart breed, it sounds like you're expecting a lot out of your pup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts