Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

we just got our doberman back from the vet, we had her spayed. Now she is always coughing/making retching sounds and sometimes hacking up white phlegm.
Is this kennel cough? We are currently renovation some rooms in our apartment and there is dust flying around everywhere, is it possible that it's a reaction to the dust?

If it's kennel cough should I be worried that our husky will get it from her?

I made a short video to show her coughing.
[video]http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/mrgoodkat1707/media/20130708_071921_zps48f1af75.mp4.html[/video]

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd call your vet. It could be kennel cough or a feeling of nausea from her surgery. You don't want her busting open her sutures. Your vet might be able to give her something to help. Poor baby! I once had a dog catch kennel cough (dog was vaccinated, btw) at a vet's while being boarded... The vaccine is basically worthless - sort of like the common cold - too many strains to be able to effectively control it.

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
Could be Kennel Cough, could be the dust (just like us, it can irritate their throats) or could be the surgery (the anesthesia).

I'd call the vet and start with maybe sending them that video if you can't take the dog in or they are willing to take a look via video.

If it is kennel cough, yes, the other dog could catch it just like a human can catch another person's cold but it is generally mild in a healthy adult dog.

Meanwhile, get the dust cleaned up as much as you can because it isn't good for their nose and throats and eyes even with nothing else going on health-wise (a damp cloth over all the dusty surfaces and then dry them is a good start)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Kennel cough has a incubation time of over a week usually. Kennel cough is a very raspy cough usually constant. Which is could be.

Also:

It could be the dust. Like you suspect to me it sounds like that is a possibility.

It could be possibly from having a breathing tube in her throat? That would be my first thought if they did indeed put a tube down her throat. ( some vets do some don't )

but if it is kennel cough its highly contagious so a trip to the vets or a phone call is very important!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Since she just had surgery, I would bet it is trachea irritation from the tube. A call to the vet to let them know of the dog's cough and some cough tabs should clear it up. Beautiful dog by the way. Kennel cough sounds more like honking geese sounds.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.
I have made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow. (The vet actually called to ask about her, how she is feeling , now that's service)

I think it might be the dust though, since we went for a long walk and some tennis ball playing and she didn't cough while we were outside. I hope the vet can confirm that tomorrow. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the Husky catching kennel cough.

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
When was she spayed? Generally they recommend a week or so of crate rest and very limited walking, definitely no chasing tennis balls.

If it's only 1 day since surgery, I'd be leaning towards it being the breathing tube irritating her throat plus the dust. If it has been like 5-6 days, then it could be KC

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When was she spayed? Generally they recommend a week or so of crate rest and very limited walking, definitely no chasing tennis balls.

If it's only 1 day since surgery, I'd be leaning towards it being the breathing tube irritating her throat plus the dust. If it has been like 5-6 days, then it could be KC

She has been spayed about 10 days ago, we had her kenneled at the vet afterwards because we had to go on a trip. Gonna bring her to the vet later to see what he says.
Let's hope it's not kennel cough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts