Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've watched shows in the past like Animal Miracles, where peoples pets have tried to warn them of danger. Well last night I was walking my only 4 month old puppy, and I felt like she was trying to protect me from something. I live in a very, very safe neighborhood and have never felt threatened walking alone at night.

Last night we were walking and Kira just stopped walking, then barking and growling at something in the distance which I couldn't see. I know it could have just been a raccoon, but I have never seen her act like this, so I just had to trust her intuition! We crossed the street and walked the other way.

Have you ever just trusted your dogs intuition and felt better for it?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yea as a matter of fact i have, my last dog always made me feel better.
im not that easily scared but with him i felt just so much better knowing he could probably rip some one to shreds just for me XD lol

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I do trust my dogs to warn me of danger; not because I believe they have an innate sixth sense or because I think they have psychic powers to sense whether someone is dangerous or not, but because their senses are just so amplified compared to mine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I do trust my dogs to warn me of danger; not because I believe they have an innate sixth sense or because I think they have psychic powers to sense whether someone is dangerous or not, but because their senses are just so amplified compared to mine.
Yea thats true

(Click my dragons?)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Ilya is a hoot.

If there is something that seems dangerous and may cause harm... Ilya will stand behind me. LOL.... hmmmmmm

If someone annoys me and gets too close to me, he will bark and growl at them especially if they use a tone he doesn't like. He'll even bark at my children if they talk back as if he's scolding them. :)

Ilya is very sensitive to his surroundins and people, so I do trust him and he has a way of letting me know something isn't right and needs my attention.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Somewhat. Shack was really the best about this (it must've been the shepherd in him). When he was on alert, I paid attention.

Summer is a little bit over-reactive to sounds and noises. I know EVERYTHING that goes on around me with her by my side. That can be good or bad because I tend to tune her out when she starts the 'Mom, something's out there' routine. Usually it just means my father is up getting ready for work or something. ;) There have been a couple times when he's opened my door unexpectedly in the night while I was asleep and boy does she let him know that's not allowed! She goes full blown into alert barking and even stands on top of me until she knows it's someone safe. Still, it's not like she's going to be able to do anything, she's 7 lbs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yes, I do trust them to alert me to things.
Holly has different barks for everyone at the door, there's a specific bark she has if it's someone she doesn't know. Shadow isn't a big barker. But if something has her worried, I will definitely pay attention to her. I'm sure she would put herself between me and something that she knew would cause harm to me (which sort of worries me).

J.C., on the other hand, bless his heart, tried to protect me from the smoke alarm the other morning. The batteries were dead, and it was making a funny noise. So, he was growling and barking at it (only time I've ever heard him growl). He tried to push me back away from it, even though he only weighs 5 pounds. He must be very sensitive to noise, because he's also the dog that runs to the phone when it rings, goes nuts if he hears the wind chimes, by the back door, and will get upset if there's someone doing yardwork too long... which I think is where some of his protective nature comes from when it comes to noises.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Molly is a scaredy-cat, lol. But Hailey... About 2 weeks after we got her, Eric got a new sweatshirt. He put it on, with the hood, and Hailey suddenly saw him. She jumped up and started loud deep barking at him. She didn't attack or anything, but she definitely looked and sounded threatening. Eric took off the hood and called her to him and she recognized him again and went back to sleep. I would totally trust her to stand up for me if I was being threatened.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Of course I would, I have a Collie, didn't you ever watch Lassie??

All kidding aside, yes I would. At least our older mix Scooby I would.
A few years ago I was getting dinner ready (it was in the winter and dark outside) Scooby got up from his bed and went to the door. When he does that it means Daddy is home. I was ready to tell the kids to go open the door for Daddy when all of a sudden I hear a low growl. I waited a bit, realizing my husband was not coming through the door and with Scooby at my side I opened the door. Turns out the Fedex man had opened to screen door and placed a package between my two doors.

His growling really spooked me. Scooby is normally a very quiet dog, he doesn't really bark or growl, so that was a good feeling to know that he would protect us if he thought something was wrong.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Absolutely. Boots alerts me to changes in my blood pressure. He will start to hassle and get pushy. He has been right on. His brother used to go nuts barking when our other dog would be going into a seizure.
Last year I took Daphney, my Great Dane, to the park. She is not a skittish dog but as we were walking down the path, she began to growl and kept turning around to look behind us. I didnt really think anything of it at first. Then she spun around, left out a bark and growl in a tone that meant business. There was a man making his way through the trees leading to the path. It gave me the creeps when I finally spotted him. The only thing I could think to do was to put distance between us and hopefully catch up to someone ahead of us on the path. I was relieved when I saw him head the other direction. And I was proud of my big girl for warning me of possible danger. Thankfully it was a false alarm and I didnt scream like an idiot...lol

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
Those are fun stories, and I have a few of my own.

But for every dog that warns us of a pending stock market decline, or a tsunami in Indonesia, there's the dog that goes ballistic when a leaf falls from a tree in the middle of the night or because someone is walking on the sidewalk two blocks away.

Sometimes those heightened senses are a problem but, as a worse-case-scenerio kind of guy, I'd rather err on the side of caution. When my dogs signal an alarm, I investigate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think Stella would be good at warning me if something really happened but she does bark a lot at random things. Say she's came in from the kitchen that my husband was in and decided to come in the living room to sit on my lap. If she dozed off and my husband made a noise, she would start barking. Even though she knew my husband was in the kitchen. If there are gardeners outside on the neighbors property, she barks too. Sometimes she'll do a low warning bark and it will just be her puffing out her cheeks a little. We call those types of barks "Stranger Danger" woofs.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I trust my dog to let me know when something bothers her..and I assume that because it bothers HER she thinks I should do something about it, even if that's just reassuring her that the statue is not going to attack us. I do not assume she will be protective, as it is my job to protect HER. She MAY in a truly threatening event decide to protect me but I don't want to assume that she will.

It's simply communication. If it saves one or the other of us to pay attention to her communications then that is what I do. Her senses are much better than mine but that doesn't mean that she is actively thinking to protect me when she "alerts". It is most likely self preserving behaviour.

That doesn't mean that my dog won't protect me, I just think most alarm barking or alerting is more about getting permission to investigate the stimulus or an expectation that I will remove the offending thing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yep- I sure do.
When they start to growl and that little schnauzer hair stands up on their backs- I believe that they are aware of something that I can't see and I heed the warning. Mine are not dogs that bark just to bark ( contrary to what many people seem to think about the breed) so if they say there is something to worry about I listen.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
"Trust your dog" is the motto for the search and rescue team I belong to...It is emblazoned on our uniforms and it is told to us over the radios at training repeatedly when we are searching from mock victims.

I have to say I never really put my faith in my dogs capability to alert me to anything.(unless it was a knock on the door) I was always the one that made the rules. Since SAR It has mind boggled me to see how indept our dogs are! It definalty has been an eye opener. And now I see, since i put all my faith in my dogs how much these guys can all show us a thing or two. All dogs are amazing in that aspect.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I absolutely trust my dogs. Especially Cara and Jaia. Mia and B'asia are a bit excitable, but when Cara barks, I know there's a reason to investigate.

My story: When my husband was away on business, our neighbor called me about dusk one day to say that they had seen a person walking onto our property! We live in the country. I was really scared and the dogs were barking, but I couldn't see anyone from the safety of the fenced yard. So I called out and said I was going to let the dogs out, so I'd advise whomever was out there to step up and be recognized.

Nothing...

So, after a few minutes, I took Jaia and left the yard. He went about 10 feet ahead of me and circled around me while I walked, looking out in all directions and sniffing the ground until he caught a scent at the gate. He followed this scent while I followed him, all around the edge of our property (fenced) and then back to the gate. The whole time, he was SERIOUS about his job. His hackles were slightly raised and he was on guard! It was amazing!

Once he got back o the gate, he looked at me and slightly wagged his tail and I knew we were safe. When I got back in, I called the neighbor and she said they had seen the person leave our property (much faster than they entered) and move on down the road.

Yeah, I trust Jaia most of all.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes and no.

I don't trust her about other dogs. She's dog reactive (fear aggressive) so if I trusted her I'd never get within 100 yards of another dog.

She's pretty good with people and we haven't met enough "questionable" people to base a judgment on.

I trust her most when we're out walking at night. Her sense of smell and sound are much better than mine. I can tell immediately when she senses that a coyote is either in the area or has been in the area. Full alert, quick pee and let's make a beeline back to the door. If she senses rabbit, raccoon, or other hunt-able vermin she's full alert, quick pee and Let's Hunt!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I absolutely do. My daughter and I were in our fenced back yard a last year - she was 6 - I had to run into the house to go to the bathroom. When I came back out, she was no where to be found - gate still closed - not answering my calls. I was almost positive she hadn't left the backyard - she has cerebral palsy and hip dysplasia climbing isn't a strong point, but I could not find her. When I calmed myself to think, I looked and realized that our Aussie was staring intently at the closed shed, not moving. I went over, opened the shed and lo and behold the little stinker was playing hide and seek with me.

The same aussie, while not trained as a therapy dog, has been crucial in helping my daughter learn to stand and walk. My daughter didn't walk until she was 2 1/2 years old and then very unstable. She couldn't get up from the floor unassisted. The aussie would go and stand next to her and let her pull herself up from the floor using her for balance. Bailey, the aussie, has also stopped her from going to close to the edge of a hill, stopped her from walking too far ahead of us. We call Bailey our nanny and we trust her implicitly. She is also a very loyal protector of house and home when needed.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I've watched shows in the past like Animal Miracles, where peoples pets have tried to warn them of danger. Well last night I was walking my only 4 month old puppy, and I felt like she was trying to protect me from something. I live in a very, very safe neighborhood and have never felt threatened walking alone at night.

Last night we were walking and Kira just stopped walking, then barking and growling at something in the distance which I couldn't see. I know it could have just been a raccoon, but I have never seen her act like this, so I just had to trust her intuition! We crossed the street and walked the other way.

Have you ever just trusted your dogs intuition and felt better for it?
This has never happened to me, but if it did, yes I would trust my dog and turn around and walk home

1 - 20 of 22 Posts