Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Dogforums community, I wanted to put my dog, Zeus, into modeling/acting/ect. I read that for them to even have the slightest chance of making it, they need to actually be cute, not just in your eyes but in others. So im asking for you to please tell me what you think! Thanks!

Thanks!!

·
Banned
199 Posts
I have no idea what the requirements are for dog modeling or acting, but I would think that temperament and training would be of greater importance than looks. The dog has to be relaxed around a high level of excitement, activity, noise, etc. Maybe like a therapy temperament with a good deal of obedience training and complete shapeability? Totally guessing.

He looks cute to me, but I guess what I'm asking is if cuteness is really what matters here, you know?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Lots of dogs are cute. To be used as a model the dog needs to be very well trained.

Your dog is cute but does he follow commands quickly and consistently? Is he calm? Would he do well in an environment with lots of strange people, equipment, and possibly other animals?

Edit: Whoops, Moxie pretty much said everything I was saying.

·
Registered
246 Posts
There's currently a casting call for a dog to play Sandy in a production of Annie in my area. Your dog would be perfect for that part....but as others said, it's all about training and temperament.

Here, just as an example of what some jobs may require, this is what they want for "Sandy":

1. The dog would be required to be available for the entire 3 week daytime rehearsal period (tech evenings absolutely mandatory). During daytime hours we could be flexible and work around the trainer’s/owner’s schedule but once we get into runs and tech, the dog and trainer/owner would have to be 100% committed to attendance.

2. During the 3 week run of Annie, the dog would have to have the same call time and hours as the actors (potentially only a 15 minute call).

3. The dog will be in the scene with Officer Ward and Annie (which includes the sit/stay and the big Tomorrow number).

4. The dog will be in the NYC scene and one more crossover.

5. The dog will be featured as Annie’s Christmas present at the conclusion of the show.

6. The owner will be paid an honorarium to cover gas, travel.

7. A photo of the dog including the dogs name and owners name written on back.

Requirements

1. The dog must be comfortable with loud noises (band & singing).

2. The dog must be able to maintain a sit and stay, do an excellent heel, come when called and respond to verbal and hand commands.

3. The dog must be Sandy in colour.

4. The dog must weigh between 60-80 lbs and should be a “mutt” type.

5. The dog must be a social animal and good with children

6. The dog must be able to demonstrate that it can consistently repeat required stage actions.

7. The dog would be a great contender if it can do tricks (shake a paw, talk on command, crawl, walk on back feet, turn circles, go through legs).

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Have you tried Googling your question?

http://www.hollywoodpaws.com/faq.htm

http://www.petside.com/video/how-get-your-pet-show-business

http://www.ehow.com/how_18747_dog-commercials.html

http://www.amazon.com/How-Your-into-Show-Business/dp/0876055595

Like those links say, it's not as simple as "have cute dog, show up." Your dog needs to be impeccably trained, and you should probably get him signed up with an animal talent agency. You will need some money to get started, and lots of time! And you'll probably never make a ton of cash from this -- I'd bet that the only people who make a lot of money with "showbiz animals" are the ones who do it as a career and own a lot of animals -- like these guys.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I know a couple who own a business where they hire out their dogs and friend's dogs for acting, commercials, photo shoots, etc. The dogs they use are all shapes and sizes: a BC, a mal, a ~30lb terrier mutt, a ~10lb terrier mutt, a couple of goldens, etc. Some have long hair, some have short, and in all colors. It's not the "look" that matters, it's the training. All of their dogs are very well trained and calm until asked to be otherwise. They work with them daily on all kinds of commands, and they regularly teach new and complicated behaviors depending on what's needed.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I'd love to get my dogs into tv, and they are pretty well trained, but the market is just so small here I don't think it will ever happen. Would be very cool though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts