Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after the TOTW was recalled I transitioned my 45-50 lb 2 y.o. lab mix to Nature's Variety Instinct chicken 2 weeks ago. I made the switch a little faster than usual probably started on a Sunday and had her 100% on it by Friday. So from that Friday until this past Friday she was 100% eating the food. Her stools were much firmer (like I almost thought I had to put her on a stool softener) than on TOTW and she had no diarrhea whatsoever except this past Friday. My husband came home to her 6'x6' kennel pretty much covered (he thinks there may have been some vomit too but can't say 100%). So gave her bland diet that night of white rice and some boiled chicken. Stools were formed but still soft Saturday and no diarrhea. My hubby actually gave her about 1/2 cup of food Saturday night. Sunday same as Saturday. Today she had 100% of NVI. When I got home, no diarrhea in her kennel but once we got outside there was diarrhea.

My question is, could it be the food when she was on it to some degree for the past 2 wks and then suddenly she gets diarrhea? I should add that hubby did see some blood in her stool Saturday one time. She hasn't had any since. Just confused as to what to feed this dog. She has had episodes like this about 3-4 times since we got her 8 months ago--this was only the second time we have seen blood. One episode of diarrhea lasted about 4 days. Usually they only last a day or two. Other wise very healthy, active no other problems. Any suggestions?? I will also be posting in the health forum to for some other ideas. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think you transitioned her too fast and her tummy is rebelling. I'd put her back on the rice/chicken until her stools are firm - let her tummy settle down completely, then add back the new food very slowly - maybe over a week's time? If she can't tolerate that, there may be something in NV Instinct that she can't tolerate. NV Instinct uses lentils/peas instead of potatoes as the starch, I think? Maybe that's not setting well with your dog's tummy.

If she can't tolerate Instinct, you may want to try Earthborn or Acana grain free. It's more like TOTW.

·
Registered
262 Posts
it could be the cottage cheese in the chicken instinct i feed mine any that don't have cottage cheese cause my dogs are milk intolerant.I do feed the other proteins for nature's variety instinct and prairie of course not the chicken

·
Registered
943 Posts
If this has happened several times since you've had her, I would be taking a stool sample into the vet to check for something like giardia or another type of parasite or perhaps a bacterial infection. The blood in the stool part is what concerns me and would lead me to think that there is a possibility she might have something, although you can never be quite sure, but before you start worrying that is solely food related, I'd clear her healthwise with a vet first. Just so you know, dog's can have bacterial infections or something like Giardia and act completely normal, but have very explosive, random bouts of diarrhea. Wouldn't hurt to check it out just to be safe.

Good luck

·
Registered
952 Posts
I agree on the stool sample to check for Giardia and Coccidia. My dog had blood on the stool, usually happens on one stool one day and not again. Vet says it's a fiber responsive colitis. Increase the fiber and bulk up the stools and it goes away. If the blood is bright red then the bleeding is happening in the colon, towards the end of the digestive tract. If the blood is dark red then the bleeding is towards the start of the digestive tract.

FWIW many common plants are poisonous to varying degrees and many can cause diarrhea. Check out the SPCA's list of poisonous plants (it looks long but they list the same plant many times under it's various common names. so it's not as long a list at you think at first glance) http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/plant-list-dogs

·
Registered
801 Posts
Are there Geese in your area? Could your dog have eaten any goose poo? My pup loves goose poo but not surprisingly it doesn't love her. Every single time she eats it she gets the runs and I have to add pumpkin to her food to firm it up again. I no longer allow her off leash even when I'm right beside her so I can make sure she doesn't eat poo or mushrooms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts