Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if members here that have small dogs that are not therapy dogs take them many places. Do you use one of those little carriers that look like purses? Have you ever taken your dog into say Target or Walmart? Have you had your pup in a carrier and even though it wasn't making any noise had someone approach you and ask you to leave the store.
The reason I'm asking is because as I put in one of my other posts. If I ever get my wish come true and get a little toy poodle I would like to take her places with me especially when we're traveling. My fear is if I have her in one of those purse carriers I would get fussed at in a store.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Dogs are not allowed in WalMart (here anyway), we don't have a Target so I can't speak for them. I obey all no-dogs-allowed signs because that's just respectful. IMO carrier or not, you need to respect no-dog rules. Just because your dog is under a certain size does not make you "exempt" and it always makes me angry to see people carrying around those bloody carry-purse-dogs in a store that clearly is a no-dogs-allowed-other-than-service-animals store. They should be promptly removed from the store.

That being said, I would never put any dog in a "purse". No matter how small, dogs are animals and are more than capable of walking. My pup is 9 lbs now but she's been walking in stores (like Pet Smart) since she was only 3 lbs. If a store allows dogs (our local sport-chek does for example, and also our local liquor store -- staff love her there and even have dog biscuits!), I might pick her up to make sure she doesn't bug any people, but she doesn't get any designer purses for it :p

I make her sit/stay when we're in the liquor store since it's so small, but the sport chek is pretty big so sometimes she gets carried in/under an arm.

I don't understand why people get dogs that "need" to be carried. It doesn't seem very dog-like. That's entirely a personal point for me though.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Depending on where you live, Pet Supply Plus stores allow dogs in their store 7 days a week and some of the Tractor Supply Companies in my area encourage your dogs coming in for socialization fun. I never see dogs in little purses anymore. I have seen little ones riding in the shopping carts in the seats near their Mom's purses.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Legally, non-service dogs (even in carriers) aren't allowed in stores that sell unpackaged food (like most Wal-Marts and some Targets). It's not about whether the dog is making noise or not, it's a federal food safety law. Evidently this is not uniformly enforced, or at least you get this idea from looking at the pics at the People of Wal-Mart website. . .there are pictures of people in the stores with their pet monkeys and skunks! But whether thay choose to enforce the law or not, as a food buyer, I really would prefer not to have other people's pets around my food, thanks.

If there are any "no pets" signs, always obey them--it sets a bad precedence and makes people think all dog owners are inconsiderate when people disobey them. Sometimes the signs aren't clear, like at my local Wal-Mart, the sign says "Service Dogs Welcome" but nothing saying no non-service dogs. So in that case it would be considerate to ask the greeter if a small, carried dog is allowed. Maybe they do allow them in non-food parts of the store, idk.

Stores that are known for being pet-friendly are Lowes, Home Depot, most pet stores, and TSC, but even so it would be best to ask first because individual stores may have different policies.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Dogs are not allowed in WalMart (here anyway), we don't have a Target so I can't speak for them. I obey all no-dogs-allowed signs because that's just respectful. IMO carrier or not, you need to respect no-dog rules. Just because your dog is under a certain size does not make you "exempt" and it always makes me angry to see people carrying around those bloody carry-purse-dogs in a store that clearly is a no-dogs-allowed-other-than-service-animals store. They should be promptly removed from the store.

That being said, I would never put any dog in a "purse". No matter how small, dogs are animals and are more than capable of walking. My pup is 9 lbs now but she's been walking in stores (like Pet Smart) since she was only 3 lbs. If a store allows dogs (our local sport-chek does for example, and also our local liquor store -- staff love her there and even have dog biscuits!), I might pick her up to make sure she doesn't bug any people, but she doesn't get any designer purses for it :p

I make her sit/stay when we're in the liquor store since it's so small, but the sport chek is pretty big so sometimes she gets carried in/under an arm.

I don't understand why people get dogs that "need" to be carried. It doesn't seem very dog-like. That's entirely a personal point for me though.
I happen to own a small yorkie. I DO have a pink travel bag for her, for several reasons. One, it fits well in my vehicle and it has seatbelt straps, so its an easy way to keep her safe. Two, she is more comfortable inside things, and happens to love her comfy little bag, it is also great for her to have a little spot she feels safe in when we are someplace unusual. Three, places like Petsmart have very slippery floors, and its hard for my small dog to walk on them, she slides a lot, which scares her, putting her in the cart is uncomfortable to her, bc of the hard wire bottom. Another reason that many people put small dogs into carriers is bc lots of folks dont look down, and a 3 lb dog can easily be stepped on or run into with a cart. Not everyone who owns a small dog and uses a carrier is doing so to "keep their dog from being a dog".

To the OP, it just depends where you live. Where I live, we can only take our dogs to pet stores like Petsmart and Petco, or outdoor events. But we recently vacationed in a town where dogs were allowed everywhere we went. You'll just have to check with your towns regulations. :) I hope you are able to get the little dog you want!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see more sitting in shopping carts than in purses for sure. I am just curious. I don't see why its a big deal if they're in a carrier and in a store,. I would never give someone a cross look for taking their pet in a store especailly because of how hot it is here. Though I don't want to see large dogs walking around on leashes because some aren't trained, I wouldn't have a problem with a little dog riding in a cart or carrier.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I was wondering if members here that have small dogs that are not therapy dogs take them many places. Do you use one of those little carriers that look like purses? Have you ever taken your dog into say Target or Walmart? Have you had your pup in a carrier and even though it wasn't making any noise had someone approach you and ask you to leave the store.
The reason I'm asking is because as I put in one of my other posts. If I ever get my wish come true and get a little toy poodle I would like to take her places with me especially when we're traveling. My fear is if I have her in one of those purse carriers I would get fussed at in a store.
No, I do not, and I don't encourage anyone else to do so. If you go somewhere that says "No Dogs Allowed", it should be respected. I loathe seeing people sneak dogs into places in purses, because it just makes it that much harder for people with legit service animals to not be asked questions. If you really really want to take your dog into a store, it certainly can't hurt to call the store and ASK if they would allow it. We have some mom and pop type stores around here that will allow well behaved dogs if you ask first, and it's just common courtesy to ask anyways IMO.
(I am LOLing at the thought of me trying to cram Tag into a purse. The thing would rock, shake, then blow up because he wouldn't sit still for 2 seconds) xD

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Legally, non-service dogs (even in carriers) aren't allowed in stores that sell unpackaged food (like most Wal-Marts and some Targets). It's not about whether the dog is making noise or not, it's a federal food safety law. Evidently this is not uniformly enforced, or at least you get this idea from looking at the pics at the People of Wal-Mart website. . .there are pictures of people in the stores with their pet monkeys and skunks! But whether thay choose to enforce the law or not, as a food buyer, I really would prefer not to have other people's pets around my food, thanks.

If there are any "no pets" signs, always obey them--it sets a bad precedence and makes people think all dog owners are inconsiderate when people disobey them. Sometimes the signs aren't clear, like at my local Wal-Mart, the sign says "Service Dogs Welcome" but nothing saying no non-service dogs. So in that case it would be considerate to ask the greeter if a small, carried dog is allowed. Maybe they do allow them in non-food parts of the store, idk.

Stores that are known for being pet-friendly are Lowes, Home Depot, most pet stores, and TSC, but even so it would be best to ask first because individual stores may have different policies.
Our Lowes used to be pet friendly, but since a lot of people didn't seem to mind if Fido lifted his leg on every vertical surface reachable, they stopped allowing dogs all together. A few inconsiderate idiots ruined it for the rest of us.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would worry about illness of a little dog on the floor and as you said people don't watch and then you have larger dogs that might hurt a wee one. Parvo here is really bad,sure I would vaccinate my pup accordingly but taking it some place where lots of dogs have walked and possibly carried something in on the floor is another reason I would want a carrier. I seem to see more dogs in carriers in tourist places though so I guess stores in these types of places are maybe more flexable.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Another reason that many people put small dogs into carriers is bc lots of folks dont look down, and a 3 lb dog can easily be stepped on or run into with a cart.
You're right... so maybe a store with carts and busy foot traffic isn't the right place for a 3 lbs dog :rolleyes: Leave the dog at home if the dog is unsafe in the environment in question, otherwise bringing it with you just seems like a vanity move (sorry, but it does). I also hope all these places you're taking a dog that have shopping carts and such don't have any no-dog-signs on the door or sell open food.

Regardless, say what you want, I still don't agree with carrying dogs in purses. I made the disclaimer in the first post that this was a personal point for me, purely an opinion, and it hasn't changed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
IMO carrier or not, you need to respect no-dog rules. Just because your dog is under a certain size does not make you "exempt" and it always makes me angry to see people carrying around those bloody carry-purse-dogs in a store that clearly is a no-dogs-allowed-other-than-service-animals store. They should be promptly removed from the store.

Sendiulino, it's like you're always reading my mind! ;)

I HATE people who disobey 'no dog' signs because they have a tiny dog they can tuck under their arm. Not saying the OP does this, but just a rant of mine. Why is my 30lb dog not allowed on public transit during rush-hour, yet a toy breed is allowed to be hauled on in a purse???

Anyway, as Sendiulino said, I would NEVER EVER carry my dog around. Ever. Even as a puppy. Unless my dog was hurt or there were extenuating circumstances which made it impossible or painful for him to walk. Dogs are dogs. They have legs for a reason. So many small dogs develop severe behavioral issues because their owners humanize them, including carrying them around like dolls. Cosmo comes into stores with me all the time, always on a short leash. I could probably carry him around if I wanted to, but really...he's a dog.

edit: To the OP, I would suggest always respecting store policies. If there is no sign stating a store's stance on dogs, I will always ask someone and respect their wishes.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I really don't mind if people carry their little dogs around. I don't think it necessarily indicates that the dog is ALWAYS carried or isn't allowed to be a dog. I don't think that's the crux of this issue. But disobeying "no dog" signs or sneaking dogs into places without asking. . .bad, very bad. Makes things worse for everybody, including people who have a legitimate need for a service dog.

·
Registered
871 Posts
You're right... so maybe a store with carts and busy foot traffic isn't the right place for a 3 lbs dog :rolleyes: Leave the dog at home if the dog is unsafe in the environment in question, otherwise bringing it with you just seems like a vanity move (sorry, but it does). I also hope all these places you're taking a dog that have shopping carts and such don't have any no-dog-signs on the door or sell open food.

Regardless, say what you want, I still don't agree with carrying dogs in purses. I made the disclaimer in the first post that this was a personal point for me, purely an opinion, and it hasn't changed.
Actually, as I said, the only local places I can take my dogs are Petsmart and Petco. Maybe thats not the place to take my dog? Just bc a dog is small, they shouldnt get out, see other people and places and dogs? The floors at petsmart are slick, my yorkie cant walk on them, she slides, even on leash and harness. In the winter, they dont get out as much as in the warm weather, the pet stores are about the only place I can take them to get them out of the house. Im not sure why you think that is such a terrible thing. If Petsmart is not busy that day, I let her try to walk, or keep her in my arm. If it is busy, and Im by myself and have several things to purchase, I put her in her bag so I dont have to carry her. The shopping cart is uncomfortable to her...her legs are so small they fall through the holes. So I put her in a well ventilated, roomy bag to ride. Why is that such a bad thing? I never realized people were judging me for such an act. Wow.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I really don't mind if people carry their little dogs around. I don't think it necessarily indicates that the dog is ALWAYS carried or isn't allowed to be a dog. I don't think that's the crux of this issue. But disobeying "no dog" signs or sneaking dogs into places without asking. . .bad, very bad. Makes things worse for everybody, including people who have a legitimate need for a service dog.
Managing a restaraunt for many years and food being the issue....service dogs were always allowed....but one person once smuggled a LAB pup inside their coat and sat down at a booth........All they could say was "Well, why not?!" and all I could say was "out!, out!,........out!"

Prime example!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your right I don't do this because I don't have a small dog. I was just wondering if there were people here that just put the dog in the little carrier and carried it inside. Not so much as "sneaking" but just doing it because they could without issues from the store. I have seen Cocker spaniels in carts at Target before in carts even.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Actually, as I said, the only local places I can take my dogs are Petsmart and Petco. Maybe thats not the place to take my dog? Just bc a dog is small, they shouldnt get out, see other people and places and dogs? The floors at petsmart are slick, my yorkie cant walk on them, she slides, even on leash and harness. In the winter, they dont get out as much as in the warm weather, the pet stores are about the only place I can take them to get them out of the house. Im not sure why you think that is such a terrible thing. If Petsmart is not busy that day, I let her try to walk, or keep her in my arm. If it is busy, and Im by myself and have several things to purchase, I put her in her bag so I dont have to carry her. The shopping cart is uncomfortable to her...her legs are so small they fall through the holes. So I put her in a well ventilated, roomy bag to ride. Why is that such a bad thing? I never realized people were judging me for such an act. Wow.
I'm not speaking for anyone else other than myself, but in 99% of cases I am absolutely against toting dogs around in bags/purses/carries/whatever. Why? Because they are dogs, not children.

But I'm sure small dog owners sometimes encounter situations where it makes sense to carry their dog, like described above. If it's not being done in excess, and owners understand that their dogs are - in fact - dogs, then I can try to understand. I think so many of us are just used to seeing people with absolutely no common sense tote their little dogs around like accessories, and that is not healthy. Your doggie may be just a few pounds, but they're not made of glass.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Anyway, as Sendiulino said, I would NEVER EVER carry my dog around. Ever. Even as a puppy. Unless my dog was hurt or there were extenuating circumstances which made it impossible or painful for him to walk. Dogs are dogs. They have legs for a reason. So many small dogs develop severe behavioral issues because their owners humanize them, including carrying them around like dolls. Cosmo comes into stores with me all the time, always on a short leash. I could probably carry him around if I wanted to, but really...he's a dog.
What?! This is one of the more ridiculous things I've heard. Carrying a dog around doesn't cause behavioral issues.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
My bottom line is, if the store says "no dogs" or "service dogs only", then there's a reason for it, even if that reason is simply the management's wishes, so I respect it.
Our Walmart says clearly on the front doors, "no pets, service dogs only" but I have seen people placing their dogs in the carts or in carriers.

As for the connotation that carrying a dog in a carrier is foo-foo or a vanity move, IMO, the origin of this was the celebrity designer dogs, who were carried around in a purse/carrier, as really more of a fashion statement.
I am not saying anyone here is doing that, I'm just saying, IMO, that's how that connotation started.

I can see, owning small dogs myself, that sometimes tiny legs can go through shopping carts, and some people don't always notice a tiny little one on the floor when they're shopping. But, you can always use a towel or blanket in the shopping cart. Or a carrier, whatever floats your boat. It's not for me, but, fine. Just not where prohibited.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What?! This is one of the more ridiculous things I've heard. Carrying a dog around doesn't cause behavioral issues.
I respect your right to disagree, but this post is not the place to get into this.

edit: Read my post closely. Carrying a dog around is not the ONLY contributing factor to behavioral issues, but it is one among many.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts