Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. This is my first post. I realize that this is an older post, but I am having a problem and found this site. I have Irish setters, labs and jack russels. I have always fed separately , each in there own crates. They are side by side. And it has always worked well. They feel safe about being in ther own crate and no one can get there food, but they are together and that encourages all of them to feed. I have slow eaters and fast eaters. And I have thoughs that donot want to eat, at times. I can also see any agressive problems, if they bark at each other while eating. It has been years since I had anyone protect there food. Everyone one seems to get a different amount of food to keep them fit. My older Irish setter, she is 15. Gets her food wet with water. It seems to work very well, that way.
I had major abdominal surgery about 3 weeks ago and my husband has been taking care of the dogs. I just found out that he has been letting them out in the large run and has been dumping food out in a pile for everyone to eat all at once. I could see them from my window with ther heads on the concrete and did not understand what they were doing. I thought maybe they were eating poop. So today , I managed to get up to the kennel and say 2 dogs scarfing all of the food down, the old Irish stepping in the food, and the jack russels trying to get a morsel or .two that rolled there way. My male JR was actually standing back in a corner, not eating at all. I was wondering why the food was lasting longer. he wasnt giving them enough food in that pile. This is very upsetting and disheartening and do not know what to do. :(
So, NO, I do not not think it is a good idea to food dogs together in a pack.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
My guy gets fed in his crate with the door open. When his 'cousin' Poppy is here the gate is closed because she will eat his food (and he will give it to her). Now we have a corgi/chi mix staying with us for 45 days and I'm probably going to feed Ranger with his crate open again and feed Jay on the mat about 10 feet away. Ranger finishes before him and Jay will give a grumble if anyone gets too close. Everyone respects each other so I think it'll get along.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I do crate/separation for new dogs and pups, "doing is learning" just as not being able to do is learning. This from the start sets the base line on how meals go in a group. (nothing happens, you eat your food, you wait until everyone is done, and its done nothing else happens everyone is safe, relaxed, calm during meals) no one bothers you, you don't bother anyone else. Activity habit is formed

I need time with a new animal so they can learn skills that will be helpful, leave it, stay, wait, "they can hear you and see you" during higher then normal dog situations. So your able to take the first learning above and continue to work with the dog when there is no crate/separation..

Time in training "depends on the dog" how long they stay in each step.... which means if a dog can't handle it, he stays in the crate/separation. never put my other dogs in a position to have to teach a new dog/defend their own food when it comes to having their meals not fair to the other dogs. Dogs needing pouncing each other in a home as a normal position/roll for them to take on is a very bad idea...

Never had a new dog not melt right in to the group about eating their meals with respect for everyone else,, but if they didn't I would continue to work with step one and two.. no reason to ever stop taking the opportunity to work on skills and not hold it negatively against them. It's not a punishable factor about their meals ..

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Leeo and Blu Boy ate together ... side by side with nothing but a bowl of water separating them. They grew up as puppies and were taught that way. Leeo is gone now ..... so each dog eats in the same room but about 6 feet apart from each other. I sit in the middle and supervise. Once they are finished I remove the food dishes and they are free to roam. Leaving a food dish down can cause serious issues ... even when empty with my guys and gals.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
My mom's three dogs eat together without problems. When we have the neighbor's dog over at our place we feed them one at a time though, to prevent squabbles between her and Mike. I don't know if he's a resource guarder when it comes to other dogs, but I don't want to find out.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
All 10 of mine eat side by side. Everyone respects the other. Nobody will take food from anothers dish but anything on the ground is up for grabs, even if it's only 1/2inch from the dish. :p
Now if one leaves their dish it's open game and the others will jump in and share amongst themselves any leftovers.

I cannot say this often enough: I am truly fortunate to have so many of various sizes (from big to bigger to giant :p), age, and breeds, some intact some not, that get along so well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think that sounds like it will work out just fine.

My guy gets fed in his crate with the door open. When his 'cousin' Poppy is here the gate is closed because she will eat his food (and he will give it to her). Now we have a corgi/chi mix staying with us for 45 days and I'm probably going to feed Ranger with his crate open again and feed Jay on the mat about 10 feet away. Ranger finishes before him and Jay will give a grumble if anyone gets too close. Everyone respects each other so I think it'll get along.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i think crates are a really good idea. It prevents surface guarding and prevents problems. I do stay with the dogs when they are eating, incase someone has a problem. I do believe in crate rest for the large breed and deep chested dogs, this will help to reduce the possible twisted stomach or bloat when they jump around when they are out of their crates right after eating...
I do crate/separation for new dogs and pups, "doing is learning" just as not being able to do is learning. This from the start sets the base line on how meals go in a group. (nothing happens, you eat your food, you wait until everyone is done, and its done nothing else happens everyone is safe, relaxed, calm during meals) no one bothers you, you don't bother anyone else. Activity habit is formed

I need time with a new animal so they can learn skills that will be helpful, leave it, stay, wait, "they can hear you and see you" during higher then normal dog situations. So your able to take the first learning above and continue to work with the dog when there is no crate/separation..

Time in training "depends on the dog" how long they stay in each step.... which means if a dog can't handle it, he stays in the crate/separation. never put my other dogs in a position to have to teach a new dog/defend their own food when it comes to having their meals not fair to the other dogs. Dogs needing pouncing each other in a home as a normal position/roll for them to take on is a very bad idea...

Never had a new dog not melt right in to the group about eating their meals with respect for everyone else,, but if they didn't I would continue to work with step one and two.. no reason to ever stop taking the opportunity to work on skills and not hold it negatively against them. It's not a punishable factor about their meals ..

·
Registered
142 Posts
I feed my dogs separately because, frankly... I have to. Jade, my GSD mix is an EXTREME RG with dogs, she's fine with me and even our cats... but if another dog even LOOKS at her food.. she goes to crouching and snarling. Get close and you'll get a nasty... "ARF!" and some bared teeth... persist and I'm almost sure you'll be attacked. My puppy doesn't RG at all, but because of her... I always separate them when feeding.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I do now! Funny but for years my Fric n Frac boxer dogs ate out of the same bowl (a huge one)....
Now 2 very diff breeds enter the mix-- a bossy giant schnauzer who is a nibbler, and chow hound Bernese mt dog who bolts down his food....
So seperate bowls, and the 2 above eat in the kitchen (Berner bolts down about half his bowl, dogs switch bowls, he wanders off, schnauzer then takes the bowls to her dog bed or out to the back field, later when I open the back door, so she can clean them out in piece), so that our old blind boxer can eat in piece downstairs....

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I supervise my two, because Ma'ii has some food aggression/possessive issues with other dogs when it comes to food, and will sometimes bully Charlotte away from her food dish so he can eat her food. I will usually set their bowls atleast 6 feet apart and keep myself between them in some way until I'm sure they are both completely done.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
My four eat in the same room but three are on tie down (i leave the room when they eat to give them their privacy LOL) Buddy is in a crate since he doesnt like to be tied up. after they finish their food i untie them. this works best for us.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts