Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I have 3 female huskies ages 1-3-3 and a male husky age 3mo.)My Girls are all sooo good about sitting and waiting nicely for their food and then when i say "OK" they would each eat from their own dish and not bother eachother.And they will let me pet them, and put my hands in their dishes while they are eating. But my new pup(Everest) is super grabby about food-which is to be expected he still just baby and learning and he i slowly figureing out that he needs to sit and wait for my "ok". Today he was done eating first, which he usually is and then he just wanders around the yard hopeing to find more food, when gets too close to one of the girls they growl a little bit and he stays away. But the odd time he doesn't listen to the warning and attempts to help himself- then he gets nipped at and he comes crying to me. this has happened maybe 4 times in over a month. But i think Normal has had enough of him and today he came too close to her she snapped at him, then he came back a seccond time and she snapped again catching my leg instead of the puppy. Then she was growling at Dewie and chasing her off.

Should i just feed them seperately? Or what would be a good way to work on this?? What is feeding time like with your dogs, do most of you feed your dogs seperately or can then eat happily in the same room??

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
You should definitely be feeding separately. It's dangerous, in my opinion, to feed dogs so closely together. It allows resource guarding to surface (Why your puppy got snapped at...the puppy has no business messing with another dog's meal).

My dogs all eat up in the dog room in their crates.

·
Super Moderator
11,545 Posts
My girls eat together without supervision, and there are no problems.

If any of the other three family dogs are with us, they all eat together, but I supervise closely.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I only have one dog but when I visit people to have dogs I always feed Sydney separately. She resource guards from other dogs and that just leads to trouble between the two dogs and also increases the behavior. You NEED to feed your dogs separately and keep the puppy out of their food, because the more they feel that their food is threatened, the more aggressive they will become with regards to their food. By allowing the puppy to bother them while they are eating, you might be creating a resources guarding problem that was never there before.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Mine all eat in the kitchen, about 10 feet apart, and the puppy is hooked to her tie-down at mealtimes. I stand there and supervise. I would recommend keeping the puppy seperate, either a different part of the yard, or on a leash or something.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes, my pup is kept tied up before and after meal times(I got the idea from Labmom4 :) ). Meal times are very serious in this household. I've even thought of tying up Rascal because he likes to wander over to Pippa's bowl to see if anythings left. -.-

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Yea, I separate. Pip guards food, Maisy eats relatively slowly, and Squash is clueless. So Squash eats in his crate, Maisy in one room, and Pip baby gated in an adjacent room.

·
Banned
964 Posts
No..
Everybody eats together..
Food agression between dogs in the same home is really bad. This can be difficult to stop at first, but its worth doing.
Right now my Rottie pup is learning not to steal food from the others..She may get a nip on the nose from the big dog .and a warning from me.
Thats how it works..Thats how they learn..Just dont let it get out of control.
Do not feed them seperatly..Make them share food , toys and treats.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My oldest dog has resource guarding issues in the past and sometimes now (with dogs) but we still feed them next to each other anyway. We're the leaders so it's sort of a "get over it" thing and she has. At the start she was weary, but our new dog slowly learned how our dog is with food so he just doesn't go near her when shes eating, and she respects his food. They know whats up. They both eat their food patiently. And ever since they've been eating right next to each other her overall resource guarding with toys/food is pretty much non-existent with our new dog. The RG is probably still there, but she doesn't practice it anymore with any of us or our new dog.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
For me, it depends on the dog. Boone is apt to try to eat someone else's food so he eats in the kitchen. The door is closed and the girls eat in the diningroom. No one dares to bother Katie while she eats, she's old but a fierce old gal.
Other dogs that we've had have eaten in the same room, fairly close together with no issues

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I only have th one dog right now, but when I get another one they will eat separately. I may do the feeding the crate thing with any other dogs I get (Porter wont eat if we aren't home or in his crate.

When we were staying with my grandfather I fed Porter in our room and would put up his dog's food when he was gone (he likes to have food down all day) because his dog would attack anything that came near "her" food.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
My 3 eat in the same room about 5 feet apart from each other. They all go sit by their dishes and wait for me to feed them. They don't try to steal the other's food. I used to have one that would finish his own then want to go eat the other's, so I would block him from going near them.
For the puppy, tether while eating, far enough that he can't pester the other dogs.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Every one here eats separately. I have a largely reformed/managed resource guarder and a severe resource guarding I'm working with. There is just zero reason a dog should get any where near another dog while eating (and people for that matter)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Mine all eat in the same room, each at least three feet from the other - supervised though. They all know their own bowl, and all will growl at any other dog attempting to poke in. One will snap about it if pushed and if there are visiting dogs that don't respect other dog's bowls, she is fed in her own area. All can be in the same room (supervised) with bully sticks or bones as long as they don't intrude on each other's space, and can even share a plate that I put on the floor to be 'cleaned', but I had to work harder on that with the guarder.

SOB

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
my boys eat in their crates but their crates are right next to each other. brom used to have huge rg issues when we first started raw (it was just THAT good! haha!) but now he is great.

i always fed separately because at first my older dog was eating raw and the puppy was eating kibble. when i switched to raw i still kept them separate because i don't see the need to stress them out during meal times. i had to hand feed brom tiny pieces of meat for a few months and he got so much better. no more gulping and grabbing food if i looked like i might get too close. he was never guarding from the other dog, just me for some reason.

anyway, now brom doesn't care at all if i put my hands in his crate when he is eating. i don't just put my hands in his crate to prove to him that i can and will whenever i please, i will put my hands in to add more food or to give him his fish oil or whatever and i think that helped to get him to trust me, that i am not going to take his food away. if i had to take his food away now for some reason he would step out of the crate and allow me to.

even though there are no rg issues anymore i still feed them in their crates because they eat raw and it is much easier clean up. also, brom eats much faster than iorek and wouldn't think twice about "helping" iorek finish up.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I have Frank and Angel seaparated for feedings because Angel is a very fast eater and will steal Franks food if given a chance (and Frank will give it to her wilingly). When Rocky was here he ate right next to Angel and the two of them did fine, no issues.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Toby and Cameron eat about 5 feet apart from each other. When we first got Cameron he'd gobble his food and then try to get Toby's. We would stand over them to redirect him if he went for Toby's food. He learned pretty quickly not to bother Toby.

A few years ago we had another collie with us for about 6 weeks. Nina was a lovely girl but she was a land-shark. We had to feed her in the bathroom with the door closed until our dogs were done or she'd try to steal their food. If she had been a permanent addition to our household we would have taught her some better manners. But since it was just a temporary thing, it was easier to separate her.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts