Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When we got our dog, my wife insisted on putting our dog's name on his ID tag. But I didn't see the point. I've heard other people say they don't put their dog's name on the tag in case people steal the dog - but I don't think ignorance of the dog's name is much of a deterrent against dognapping.

The dog's name on his tag doesn't help you find him if he ever gets lost. It's much more useful to have YOUR name on the dog's name tag. Or use the line on the tag for another cell phone number instead. When your dog is lost and every hour is an hour of anxiety, having more ways to contact the family seems like a better choice. The amount of text on a tag is pretty limited already.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have 2 sided. Name is on one and my cell and city and state are on the back. Their old tags had their name with my last name.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also have a 2-sided tag. Name on one side. My cell on the back. He also has one of those SmartTags. Basically if someone finds him there's an 800 number on the tag they can call. The company has all of my info and will contact me. Also they offer an "Amber Alert" where if lost you contact them and they will send out a pic and your dog's profile to every shelter/rescue in a 50 mile radius (supposedly).

Not sure how much more useful this is than just having my phone number on the regular tag. But the rescue supplied me with the tag so I figured I might as well use it.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I don't because there's no room. . .I have my parents' address and ph number plus mine on the tags, because we're at their house a lot. If I only had my address on it, I would probably put their names on it.

I read somewhere that having a name on the tag might increase the chance of the pet being returned. Because instead of being just a lost dog with an address on his tag, it's Fluffy who belongs to Molly Smith, and now that it's personalized, people are more inclined to get involved. But I dunno.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Because instead of being just a lost dog with an address on his tag, it's Fluffy who belongs to Molly Smith, and now that it's personalized, people are more inclined to get involved
This is why I also put their names on the tags.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I read somewhere that having a name on the tag might increase the chance of the pet being returned. Because instead of being just a lost dog with an address on his tag, it's Fluffy who belongs to Molly Smith, and now that it's personalized, people are more inclined to get involved. But I dunno.
I'm inclined to believe this.
I don't see why having your dog's name on the tag would be a bad thing.
If you have addresses, phone numbers, they do have a way to get hold of you. If the dog's name is there, perhaps it would be better while the dog waits to hear hir name. I know Diesel freaks out whenever someone knows his name. He's much more interested in them.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Because we are military and could move at any time, it's stupid to put an address on the tag. If we move and our dog gets lost, the dog has a tag with outdated info on it.

Instead our tags (which are all two sided) have the dog's name and our phone # on one side, and on the other side it states that the dog is microchipped. Our cat has a tag, too.

I am extremely diligent about making sure all microchip info is current

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
One side of Bryna's tag reads "BRYNA IS LOVED, and the other side has my number, my parents number, our city/state/zip code, and "SPECIAL NEEDS." She doesn't really have special needs. Its on there as a deterrent for anyone who might want to keep her in case she were to get lost.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I just ordered one sided boomerang tags with the "dogs" name ... "My" name ... "micro chipped" ... and "phone number." I want my dogs names known just in case they are found and try to run off again or in front of a car ..... maybe they will respond to their name and come back to whoever has them. :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I want kabota's name on the tag. He's more inclined to follow someone who says his name, and I want him following someone instead of running away if he gets lost. I also have a 2 sided tag with my cell phone # and address on it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
all my dogs have there names on the tags, never occured to me not too. and frankly working in a kennel, it is REALLY annoying when a dogs tag doesnt have a name on it! because if a new dog comes in and is outside playing during a shift switch, then the new person goes out and also has to put those dog away, and while we tag the dogs ourselves our ribbons can rip during play, in which case the new person will look at the ID tag, and if they find no name, they then have to run all over the building(BIG building) with this dog trying to find someone who was on the previous shift and knows who the heck this dog is lol(big kennel with 30+ employee's)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have names on my dog/cat's tags
My cats is more designer/pretty looking because she was an outdoor cat 90% of her life/knows her way back home. But the info is still there just in case.
Emma(my dog) on the other hand is designed so that should she play the "catch me if you can" game, they can read my phone number from a good distance. LARGE LETTERS.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I use a two sided tag. One side says their name in pretty font and the other side says "The Smiths" (okay not my real last name) and our address and phone numbers.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My dog's names are on their tags along with my cell phone number and "microchipped."
They also have a tag for their microchip and my doberman has a tag for his pet insurance.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Forget the tag, both of my dog's collars have his name embroidered on it in gigantic font. Someone did bring up once the concern that a dognapper could use his name to steal him away, but honestly I also do not believe the knowledge (or lack thereof) of his name would affect whether or not he'd be stolen. If someone were that determined, they would go through with it regardless. If someone broke in or tried to lead him away, knowing his name wouldn't do them any good.

His name is nothing much more than a cue for his attention, and whether or not he is inclined to offer up his attention depends more on the person behind the voice.

ETA: On his actual tag it says

"His Name"
"My Phone Number"
"Take to Vet
Requires Daily Meds"

Not that he actually does.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
My uncle *used* to make dog tags that would be put on the collar. We had our name/number and our dogs name plus vet's number. Now that he doesn't make them I got one with my name and number. I love them though. I am going to special order one so I can put it on the collar so I don't loose the tag( I was switching collars so was switching tags. Got distracted and then couldn't find them!).

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 2 sided tag for Todd. His name's on one side, and on the other it has my street number, street name, zip code, and mine and my mom's cell phone numbers.

Dixie and Jasper have one sided tags, but their names, our address, and mine and my mom's cell numbers fit on it.

Plus all 3 have microchips (and the tags), QR code tags, and tags from getmehome.com (that we got from the vet). I don't worry about people stealing my dogs, more often than not, people are afraid of my dogs, plus they don't go out without me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts