Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I moved to Germany back in July and Nibbler moved here in September. Anyway over the weekend I finally got the chance to go into my first German pet store, Fressnapf. I got to looking at the dog food and there was some interesting looking brands. Unfortunately though, I can't read German so I was unable to really read the bags and figure out their quality. I know some brands can get crafty in the states with their "healthy" or "natural" labels, when in fact they have very little nutritional value. I'm not sure if that's the case here, but I obviously wasn't going to buy something I couldn't read just because the bag was pretty. So that is where I could use some help from my fellow Fpains that live in Germany.

These are my questions,

What brand of dog food do you feed?

Would you recommend it?

What kind of dog do you have?

Do you know of any other pet store chains in Germany?

What are some good treat brands?

Any good websites for dog supplies here in Germany?

Thanks so much guys! I appreciate any help you can give. I'm still adjusting over here and trying to get things figured out. I learn a little more each day. c:

Sorry if these is on the wrong board, it wasn't specifically food related, so I posted it here.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I'm not in germany, but I am procrastinating studying for exams!

Google chrome automatically translates into english, and this is the first one I found that looks pretty decent when sorting lowest to highest price:

https://www.fressnapf.de/p/real-nature-adult-weiderind-l-xl

or this one for smaller breeds:

https://www.fressnapf.de/p/real-nature-junior-weiderind-s-m

Do you have a price per lb/kilo that you're trying to stick to?

A lot of people like acana:

https://www.fressnapf.de/p/acana-chicken-burbank-potato

but not sure price wise if thats in your budget.

For really high value treats I've actually used these before and the dogs loved them:

https://www.fressnapf.de/p/orijen-alberta-lamb-freeze-dried-snack-100g

but if my dog didnt have food allergies, I would probably just stick to anything made in usa/germany (not china,ect)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I lived in Germany for three years (military). I know most bases have vets over there, and they are sure to be able to help you find something.

You may also try amazon. I shopped a lot from amazon.co.uk. Stuff from the UK can get to Germany in about two days.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I Ncan't help with your question, but I have to ask you if Nibbler is a Nibblonian

·
Registered
894 Posts
zooplus.de is a great website to get anything dog related. They do sell earthborn, totw, acana, orijen, canidae over there. Also good foods are Wolfsblut, Platinum, Lukullus, Josera, Terra Canis, ...
They are not into grain free foods as much over there as people are here. The bags will also tell you how much meat is in the food. So pay attention to that. if you need help translating something, or have a food you are not sure about, just let me know.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't live in Germany but I feed my dog an imported German dog food. It's called "Pure" (for adults) by Meradog. It's the one the vet put him on. There are gluten free and grain free "flavors". Here's an English language description : http://www.meradog.com/en/products/high-premium-pure.html

but honestly I'd just hook up with a vet locally in your new town and ask for a recommendation based on your dog's needs. The vet will know all the locally available brands and know what to tell you.

·
Registered
467 Posts
zooplus.de is a great website to get anything dog related. They do sell earthborn, totw, acana, orijen, canidae over there. Also good foods are Wolfsblut, Platinum, Lukullus, Josera, Terra Canis, ...
They are not into grain free foods as much over there as people are here. The bags will also tell you how much meat is in the food. So pay attention to that. if you need help translating something, or have a food you are not sure about, just let me know.
This ^^
zooplus is very nice, they have a wide selection of foods and they list all of the ingredients correctly for all the food that they sell. I use it in Romania. Good prices and shipping as well :)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
This. Zooplus is your friend.

And according to EU regulation all food has information on the bag that says what's in it exactly. And the list of ingredients always begins with the ingredient with the largest percentage, so you can easily assess what the food consists of.

Aside from kibble, frozen food (raw grounded meat, organs, bones, and sometimes veggies depending on the brand) is getting big as well and you'll be able to find several good quality raw food brands in pet stores (probably not on zooplus, but zooplus does have a lot of good quality kibble brands).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts