Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always slept with my cats, but I was warned to not let my dog sleep with me because I may roll on him or knock him out of the bed which could result in injury.
I don't move in my sleep, but my husband does so we never let him sleep in the bed when we're not awake. He sometimes falls asleep between us while we're just doing some before bed reading.
My BIL said that letting your dog sleep in your bed makes it think that it's the alpha and can lead to aggression (like it did for his sister's bulldog apparently). Is this true?
Do you let your dog sleep in the bed with you?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I don't see any problem at all with sleeping in bed with your dogs! I so wish I could let Bennie sleep in our bed when we get her, but my girlfriend is allergic and that would just be too much for her allergies. So sadly, she's going to be sleeping next to our bed or really wherever else she decides she likes to sleep. It makes me sad because I love a good cuddle with a dog, but we can't have my girlfriend suffering all night every night.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
My BIL said that letting your dog sleep in your bed makes it think that it's the alpha and can lead to aggression (like it did for his sister's bulldog apparently). Is this true?
Do you let your dog sleep in the bed with you?
In my opinion, there is no truth to this whatsoever.

Our dog and 2 cats sleep with us most nights. The cats are a lot more annoying in the bed than the dog. The cats are constantly moving around, trying to get under the covers, and pawing to be petted. The dog pretty well just stays in the same spot.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I don't see any problem at all with sleeping in bed with your dogs! I so wish I could let Bennie sleep in our bed when we get her, but my girlfriend is allergic and that would just be too much for her allergies. So sadly, she's going to be sleeping next to our bed or really wherever else she decides she likes to sleep. It makes me sad because I love a good cuddle with a dog, but we can't have my girlfriend suffering all night every night.
That's too bad. My husband and I had a strict no dogs on the bed rule for a while, but you can see how that ended lol

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
There's no such thing as dog/human dominance and the alpha theory has been debunked many years ago. So no, it's not true. :)

There are tons of links about that on this forum. I'm sure you'll find plenty if you do a quick search on here, if you feel so inclined. You may even want to refer some to you BIL, lol.

All that being said, my SO and I are on the same page about no animals on any of our furniture, simply because neither of us like it. We actually don't even technically let animals in our bedroom (shedding fur, etc) but sometimes that rule gets bent.

So, no animals in my bed, but it won't turn them into a rabid blood sucking beast out for world domination, either.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
My dog sleeps in bed. I might be more wary with a tiny dog, but mine is 45lbs and I can't accidentally squish him.

The alpha stuff is nonsense.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
There's no such thing as dog/human dominance and the alpha theory has been debunked many years ago. So no, it's not true. :)

There are tons of links about that on this forum. I'm sure you'll find plenty if you do a quick search on here, if you feel so inclined. You may even want to refer some to you BIL, lol.

All that being said, my SO and I are on the same page about no animals on any of our furniture, simply because neither of us like it. We actually don't even technically let animals in our bedroom (shedding fur, etc) but sometimes that rule gets bent.

So, no animals in my bed, but it won't turn them into a rabid blood sucking beast out for world domination, either.
You're smart. I've created a monster. I can feel her creeping up at 6:30 am and dare I make eye contact, it's over. I get mauled with kisses. This morning I woke up to her trying to pry my ear plugs out of my ears.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought it sounded pretty Caesar Millany, but I just wanted to make sure :p thanks :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota goes to sleep in between my husband and I, but at some point he must get too hot, or irritated at the lack of space, because when I wake up, he's in his own bed. But he's 35 lbs, so I'm not accidentally kicking him off or breaking any bones.

That being said, whatever you decide, make sure you have a good "off" command and a bed of some kind for your dog. Dogs will resource guard the bed and it's best to have training in place just in case.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You're smart. I've created a monster. I can feel her creeping up at 6:30 am and dare I make eye contact, it's over. I get mauled with kisses. This morning I woke up to her trying to pry my ear plugs out of my ears.
LOL and this is why I had to ban Duke from our bed, just can't trust him. Really though our old bed was high off the ground (above my hip and I'm not short/have long legs) and it just got too high for him to want to jump. I wound up sending him to my son's room to sleep. Now he can night maul my son. That is where he really wanted to be anyway. Serves a dual purpose, I no longer get woken in the middle of the night by "mommy I had a bad dream can I sleep with you" or doggy snores. It is win win. I would love for Remus to sleep with us (he did when he was a tiny puppy) but he got really fidgety and started hopping out of bed and chewing on stuff around the room so he had to start sleeping in his crate at night. I'm thinking now that he is older and settles at night maybe he could sleep with me again. We actually switched to a smaller bed though so he might need a bed of his own at the foot of the bed/next to me. Freyja is in her own crate at the foot of the bed for now. She'll move to a crate out of the room when she is older.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I slept with the farm chocolate lab once haha
She definitely creeped up on me. Eventually I started giggling because I could just FEEL her staring at me. And she jumped on me and started licking my face so forcefully I had to get out of bed to escape her. Wake up call 101.

I shared a bed a couple times when I had a Pomeranian/poodle mix. She was super tiny, but I wasn't too concerned. If I did roll over onto her it would've been a slow process and she could have moved. Usually I end up getting pushed all the way off the bed just by her tiny little body. You don't even realize it's happening. She'll start getting closer and closer and you just naturally move over in your sleep when you're trying to be careful. Then when you wake up you're at the edge and she's in the center sleeping peacefully.

I haven't tried yet with Sansa, and I don't want to for a while. I value my sleep too much and don't imagine I'd be very pleased if she woke me up repeatedly shifting around, eating the blankets, and other puppy things.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My dogs don't sleep on the bed with me at night because that's cat territory. Altho they're welcome to it during the day! We do take naps on the couch together, I'm a restless sleeper so they don't stay too close or they will get kicked or pushed off! I think it helps bonding with a new dog to sleep close by...

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
My dog always sleeps in bed with myself and my husband. She usually sleeps at the end of the bed, sometimes wedges herself between us. haha

My dog also doesn't have a dominate bone in her body. Know why? because it's a load of BS

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Yeah, we have Caeda and two cats with us pretty much every night....when Dexter was with us it was two dogs, though both were in the 70lb range. More likely WE would get hurt if they tried to romp around.

The alpha stuff is absolute bunk, though I will say, bed space comes with some rules, at least in this house (well...for the dogs anyway). Off when we say off, scoot when we say scoot, no climbing all over us unless invited, any of those rules get too thoroughly ignored, out the door and the door is closed. Pouncing in the middle of the night was an instant-out. The cats...well, they are a little harder to deal with, but at least they don't knock the wind out of us by pouncing on our bellies trying to cuddle (well...they rarely do anyway lol).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I do, but when I first got her I crated her at night. I didn't do it because i was afraid of dominance issues (because bs, and shes sooo submissive) but actually because I didn't want my cats to get upset. Once we moved to a new place, we let her sleep in bed with us.. and the cats will also sleep on the bed if they feel like it.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yes, my dogs let me sleep in their bed with them I feel so privileged that let me do that. My big dogs no but the little guys you bet. they love to sleep in and when cold sleep under the covers. For the most part they like to cuddle up to next to each other. They will get off the bed if I tell them

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i see your point about a small sleeping in bed with you. as you see i have a GSD. i worry
about him laying on us. i taught my dog "it's sleepy time" (whick i say in an animated voice.
it sounds like i'm saying "it's sheepy time". when my GF or i say "it's sleepy time our dog
goes to our bedroom and he'll either sit beside the bed untill we're in or he'll lay on his
and wait for to settle in then jumps on the bed. when he jumps on the i always sit up
and pet him and tell him he's a good boy. my GF screams "no, no, no, don't pull the
covers off me". we go through this every night. lol.

our dog will also cuddle on the sofa with us.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
My dogs sleep in my bed and sleep on my furniture. The house is theirs. I've never in my life had a dog grumble about being moved when I have had to move them. I can lift/drag/shift my dogs around while they are sleeping and they don't mind in the least. I even feed every single dog I own something off of my plate every single time I eat. I play tug of war with them and we wrestle. I even let them bite me quite a lot while we rough house.

So far, none of them have made a move towards world domination, but there's always tomorrow...

·
Registered
125 Posts
For the most part yes, although Zoe prefers to sleep in her crate.

I don't mind if they're on the bed, they know when I say "off" that they have to listen and it's nice to snuggle with Esme and Zoe at night, especially if it's cold. Those two are good little furry heaters, haha!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts