Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

In my household dogs

• Are never allowed to lick dishes, cookware, pots and pans, or other food prep items.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Are allowed to lick some pots and pans, but never eating ware

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Routinely prewash dishes and cookware

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was raised in a family where the dogs got a go at pots and pans and sometimes dishes before they went into the dishwasher. I can't see that it did any harm, and continue the family tradition. Who knows, it may do some good. Everyone in my family has very robust immune systems...colds, headaches, flu, etc. seem to pass us over.
I know a lot of people think this is awful. What do you think?

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
My parents always gave the dog and cats a chance at the plate before going into the dishwasher. I don't mostly because it seems like extra steps when cleaning up.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
i often do yeah. i mean i just shared part of a fruit smoothie with her and then continued drinking out of the same bottle so... yeah. lol

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I don't deliberately give him things to pre-wash but if you're loading the dishwasher he'll pitch in without being asked. I don't worry about germs or anything because the dishwasher sterilizes the dishes. I wouldn't let him lick the plate I was eating off of, though there have been a couple times where I've been bad and eating on the couch and he's been bad and took a quick tongue lunge before I could stop him. I just pretend it didn't happens.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I'm not worried about getting their germs, but no, we don't allow them to lick dishes or cookware of any kind. If I'm giving them something off of a plate or raw meat while I'm making dinner, it just goes in their food dishes.

I worried it would be difficult for them to distinguish why it was sometimes ok to lick our dishes but it is not ok to beg or take food off of our dishes without us offering it. So we just don't feed them from our stuff, and we don't have any issues.

We do share coconut milk popsicles with them all the time.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
lol.. first thing I ever taught my dog as a kid was not to bite the whole Popsicle, just lick it when sharing .. lol ... lots of plate washers over the years :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I sometimes do, depending on what we had for dinner. If it was some juicy like steak or chicken, then heck ya! He get to lick it clean.
Macaroni or spaghetti or something else, NO!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel gets to lick plates, bowls, silverware on occasion. It's not routine but it isn't that rare either. Mostly it depends on what I ate and if it has something in it he shouldn't have. Usually if I make tuna salad he gets to lick the bowl when I'm done but a bowl of soup no because too much salt for him. I'll let him lick a plate if I'm being lazy and don't want to take it back to the kitchen yet. Usually in that case there isn't really anything but a few crumbs there, I just let him lick it so he knows there is nothing there and he'll leave it alone on the back of the couch.

No concern about germs. They are going in the dishwasher which will kill whatever might be there. Plus he's a huge kisser, I'm already getting his tongue all over my face and occasionally in my mouth. No more harm will come from licking a few plates.

Pots and pans no, mostly because as Cookieface said it'd be an extra step in clean up. What he does get is 98% of the time on the couch with me, 2% licking silverware like if I made a peanut butter sandwich. I'm not letting him into the kitchen to lick pots and pans, they go straight to the sink for a quick rinse then await the dishwasher.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Eddee is my littlest dishwasher licker. :) Always has been ... always will be. He is the only one to do so. I am sure the dishwasher detergent and the high heat setting kills the germs.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My diet isn't that strict, why should my dog's be? She gets leftover sandwiches from lunch, leftover meat from dinner that can't be made into something else. The only thing that I don't give her is processed food on a regular basis because of the sodium.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Yes my dogs lick the dishes several times a week, tho they are not allowed to lick dishes that are being loaded into the dishwasher because I am afraid of them cutting their tongue on a sharp knife.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Yes. I let Ryker lick my pates/dishes every day as long as I didn't eat anything that wouldn't be good for him. He's never tried to steal food from my plate. He lays patiently on the floor until I'm done and then I set my plate down near his food bowl to lick. I don't have a dishwasher so he actually helps with the rinsing process lol.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Yes my dogs lick the dishes several times a week, tho they are not allowed to lick dishes that are being loaded into the dishwasher because I am afraid of them cutting their tongue on a sharp knife.
Sharp knives should be hand washed to best maintain the blade ;)

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Never. Not because the germs, but because I'm watching Jewel's weight and don't want to add un-needed extra calories. Also, I don't want her to get in the habit of licking dishes. We often eat on the couch and I don't want her to think dishes are for licking.

·
Super Moderator
7,277 Posts
Yes. I let Ryker lick my pates/dishes every day as long as I didn't eat anything that wouldn't be good for him. He's never tried to steal food from my plate. He lays patiently on the floor until I'm done and then I set my plate down near his food bowl to lick. I don't have a dishwasher so he actually helps with the rinsing process lol.
Yep, same here. Kuma has been taught that as long as he is polite, he WILL get a little something from my plate, but only once I'm done with it. He never tries to steal food, in fact, I can leave my plate on the arm of the couch and go into the kitchen, and he doesn't touch it.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
lol.. first thing I ever taught my dog as a kid was not to bite the whole Popsicle, just lick it when sharing .. lol ... lots of plate washers over the years :)
lol when i share ice cream with roxie she bites the top off

oh yeah, she also gets tiny bits as im eating... right off my fork :) i guess shes spoiled!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts