Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my dog from the pound, but we still can't figure out what breed she is!

They advertised her breed as dingo at the pound, and put 'cattle cross' on the registration papers. (i doubt they're either)

Someone thought she might be cross african basenji? she does look a little bit like one, but is shorter and stockier.

If i could pick a breed i'd say she was staffie cross because of the short stocky build and certain chracteristics like how she sits on her side and lays down with her legs spread back behind her.

She's tan in colour and has a white marking on her chest and neck. Her ears are pointy and sit upright. She's only 9 months old, but we havn't noticed any change in growth since we got her (at 6 months). Her paws are also quite small, so i don't think she'll grow much more.

I think she might be a basenji cross staffie.. What do you think she is??? I've attached some images below.

The football should give you a good idea of her size.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I would rather say jindo or shiba and some short haired breed (Belgian Malinois? Heeler ?). Shibas have a groove on the forehead just like your dogs has.

I don't think there's any ounce of staffie in this dog because of the head and the body.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I would hazard a guess at cattle dog/hound mix/shepherd...if it was shiba or jindo the tail curl would most likely be evident (I'm pretty sure the gene for the spitz type tail is dominant).
The long body and tail look like Cracker's...houndy, and the blockiness of the body is like a cattle dog/kelpie.
Hard to say though..there is almost always more than two breeds in mixes like this. This is a pic of Cracker, the shot makes her look a lot shorter legged than she is, but you get a good example of the long body.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would rather say jindo or shiba and some short haired breed (Belgian Malinois? Heeler ?). Shibas have a groove on the forehead just like your dogs has.

I don't think there's any ounce of staffie in this dog because of the head and the body.
I see what you're saying with the markings and the groove on the forehead, but she doesnt have a tail likethose dogs.

I thought she may have basenji in her because of how much she looks like them, but the tail and the height of the body didnt fit.

I'm inclined to agree she has no staffie in her, but sometimes she looks like one.

I would hazard a guess at cattle dog/hound mix/shepherd...if it was shiba or jindo the tail curl would most likely be evident (I'm pretty sure the gene for the spitz type tail is dominant).
The long body and tail look like Cracker's...houndy, and the blockiness of the body is like a cattle dog/kelpie.
Hard to say though..there is almost always more than two breeds in mixes like this. This is a pic of Cracker, the shot makes her look a lot shorter legged than she is, but you get a good example of the long body.
i agree that the tail would have to be curly to look like a shiba or jindo.

i dont think shes a cattle dog/hound mix/shepherd. all those dogs are quite large and have distinct markings ie. cattle being multi coloured and shepherd having black facial features.

she could possibly have hound in her, but not directly..

i thought about kelpie.

shes more like a kangaroo / ferret than anything. she doesnt stop fidgeting. although she is only a puppy.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Am I crazy for seeing staffy or pit bull in the face? Not a lot, but just a touch....

There's probably a bunch of breeds in there. She looks a lot like the 'island' dogs' I see in the Caribbean. Just a little of this or that. I like to call them 'natural dogs'. Too mixed up to tell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts