Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if you have to brush your dogs teeth. I don't want to waste the time and money of doing that. Can you just give them those dental sticks or whatever and be good?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Those dental sticks are surprisingly expensive, you won't save any money doing that instead of brushing the teeth. They're also not very healthy. The answer is that some dogs need tooth brushing and some don't, but it's generally a good idea. Some dogs chew on things (Nylabones, Bully Sticks) and keep their teeth clean that way. Lots of people feed their dogs raw meaty bones and have good luck with that keeping their dogs' teeth clean. Small dogs are more likely to develop tooth problems, so I would plan on toothbrushing.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If your dog is the puppy in your avatar, I would suggest starting tooth brushing with him now, just to get him used to it. He may be just fine with out tooth brushing when he's older if he has a good supply of bully sticks/meaty bones to chew on, but he may not, and it will be a HECK of a lot easier to brush his teeth when he is older if you got him used to it when he was young. A tooth brush and dog paste isn't very expensive, especially not in comparison to the chews!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@hamandeggs- oh wow i didn't know that. I might just end up brushing his teeth. My mom had big dogs when she was little and she never brushed their teeth and had no problems so ur probably right on that.
@Binkalette- my avator is not my puppy but it is the breed of the puppy. I have not gotten him yet but will in a week or so. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Raw meaty bones help clean a dog's teeth. It's generally cheaper than those dental sticks too. Do some research into feeding them as treats.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes brush your dogs/ puppy's teeth. Raw bones and chews are not a bad idea. But for some breeds they don't help as much. We give our Cocker Spaniels bully sticks and they still need teeth brushing. Better safe than big dental bill.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes brush your dogs/ puppy's teeth. Raw bones and chews are not a bad idea. But for some breeds they don't help as much. We give our Cocker Spaniels bully sticks and they still need teeth brushing. Better safe than big dental bill.
Not only that but teeth problems can cause heart disease, just like in humans. Also the stress of being put under anesthesia is much greater than brushing 2-3 times a week, not to mention the risk of death.

Small breeds especially MUST have their teeth brushed. Because their mouths are so tiny and teeth so close together, bacteria breeds faster and plaque builds up.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well I had never really brushed them so they had a lot of build up and plaque. They were starting to irritate her gums. I used to use those Greenie treats that supposedly keep teeth clean, well great job they were doing. I also stopped giving Greenies because they are very hard to digest and can block the intestines.

She didn't have to have any teeth pulled, she just had very dirty teeth. Just little things like a teeth cleaning can be soo expensive. I learned the hard way that you get what you give. I only gave her a Greenie daily for her dental care, and I got hit with a big bill a year later. Served me right, but I definitely know better know. She gets her teeth brushed now and raw meaty bones. I just got a Maltese puppy about two weeks ago so luckily he will probably not have to have his teeth professionally cleaned since I will be starting brushing with him so early.

Give your puppy a treat after each brushing so he eventually learns that brushing means good things.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ya now im definetly gonna brush his teeth. That a good idea too about the treat
Brushing is still pretty new for us so a routine hasn't been set, but my boyfriend's mom brushes her cat's teeth all the time. He HATED it at first but will now just sit there because he gets treats after. He will now walk to the couch where he usually gets his teeth brush when she brings the brush out. He is all like "FINE just brush my teeth if you hate me that much… MMMM TREAT!"

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have never tried the three sided one. My yorkie has a very small mouth so I have to be careful of what size I use. Itty bitty baby tooth brushes would probably work okay too, and they come in cool old themes like disney princesses and batman haha.

·
Registered
203 Posts
LOL at the cost of brushing vs a dental cleaning. I wasn't initially planning on brushing my dogs teeth. I was just going to have them professionally cleaned when needed. Well, I stopped by the vets office to drop off a "sample" and asked how much the cleaning costs since they had a giant banner out front that read "Making teeth cleaning affordable - 10% OFF!!"

Well, 10% off of $350 and yeah, I bought a toothbrush the next day. :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts