Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After struggling to help my adopted terrier mix, I stumbled across this video on another forum that confirms my conclusions! I decided, through trial and error of trying various kibbles, that the potatoes (either regular or sweet) were part of the problem, as were grains. Since switching to a grain free, potato free, low carb kibble (I feed Maddie Evo Herring and Salmon), as well as bathing her with a tea tree shampoo, her itchiness is significantly lessening - yay! Apparently, sugar and carbs (which break down to sugar) feed yeast, which is very itchy. Maddie was also scooting, even after having her anal glands expressed, which I now know was itchiness, due to yeast. I wish I'd seen this video to save me all the trial and error appraches I tried before hitting on something that worked!

Here's a link to the video, made by a holistic veterinarian, Karen Becker. It's a little long (almost 14 minutes), but well worth it, if you have an itchy dog! It offers causes and solutions to the problem. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/05/03/eating-these-foods-can-make-your-dog-itch-like-crazy.aspx

I hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our dog is a Canaan dog, we just recently found out he is allergic to pollenating grass (specifically in the Spring and Summer). We have to give him Benadryl once a day and a steroid to make his immune system stronger. So if someone experiences a dog being itchy they might just be like us- it's the grass' fault!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, we think Maddie has an allergy to the grass in our yard, as well. Our vet said to pay attention this winter when the grass is dormant, to see if she shows improvement, which will confirm or deny this suspicion. She's better though, following the advice in the link, so that's good. We give her 1/2 a Benadryl (she's only 12.5 pounds) twice a day, which keeps the itching under fairly good control.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts