Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a mom of three kids so I'm a huge fan of first aid kits. :wink: So I'll be making one for the dog (or any dog) to keep in the car.

Just wondering what you have in your first aid kit if you have one?

Some suggstions I have found are minimal - gloves, gauze, vet info, etc. While others are so complete I feel like I'd need a degree to use some of that stuff, lol.

Feel free to discuss. :)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
gauze, vet wrap, polysporin eye/ear drops, syringes, ozonol, vetrasyn, cotton balls, hair clipping scissors, super glue, peroxide, Iodyne shampoo, yadda yadda. I have 8 dogs in my house who are rarly at home they are always out getting down and dirty, AKA accidents happen.. a LOT lol, Misty sliced a chunk of of her pad a few weeks ago, Happy ripped a toenail out of her foot last week. last summer in all her obsessive glory, Happy snuck around the caretaker at work and shoved her face under the steel shovel he was just slamming down at that moment, suffered a lovely deep gash under her eye..actually, come to think of it its just the border collies that manage to injured themselves on a weekly basis lol I cant even think of a time anything this those things has ever happened to any of the other 6 lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
actually, come to think of it its just the border collies that manage to injured themselves on a weekly basis lol I cant even think of a time anything this those things has ever happened to any of the other 6 lol

Note to self: be sure to have a dog first aid kit ready once I get my border collie! Haha useful tip! Thanks!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
My canine first aid kit is better stocked than my human first aid kit.

I have a muzzle, nail trimmer, extra leash, bandaging materials (telfa pads, square and roll gauze, coflex/vetwrap, medical tape), Benadryl, Dramamine, Pepcid AC, antibiotic ointment, eye wash, and an antiseptic. Because of my circumstances I'm able to also keep some prescription medications like a prescription canine pain reliever, sedative, steroid and antibiotics in there. I'm sure there's something I've forgotten, but I'm too lazy to go look at it. When I go camping I also throw in some human supplies like band aids and human pain relievers.

Funny thing is, I've used the bandaging material on myself but never on the dogs while camping. :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
I barely have a human first aid kit....but I do have a room that's well stocked with bandages, saline, antibacterial ointment, a couple kinds of medical tape, various thermometers, syringes (just the needle-less kind :p), gloves, scissors, etc... I probably should put together a Wembley-only kit though.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I'm not sure of everything I've got but it includes

Thermometer
Antibiotics
Antibiotic ointment
Eye antibiotic ointment
Pain killer
Benedryl
Betadine
Iodine shampoo
Sulfadene
Suture
Super glue
Gauze
Vet wrap
Lactated ringers
Cotton balls
Q-tips
Tweezers
Syringes
Needles
Oxytocin
Vitamin K
Epinephrine

Not sure what else. Pits are a lil like Border Collies it seems. While an accidental fight can lead to wounds as can rough play they also seem to find other ways to hurt themselves. From gashes to split toe nail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts