Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.....just wondering if you groom your dog yourself or do you take them to a groomer?

If you groom yourself, any good product tips?:wave::wink:

·
Registered
751 Posts
I use to shave him myself, not anymore due to the clippers dieing one to many times haha!
However biggest tip I can give is ALWAYS bathe your dog before shaving.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I do them my self. But I am a groomer lol. Somedays id rather have some one else do them lol. Not that either is bad. But after a long day of grooming other peoples dog. the last thing I want to do is groom my own lol

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I take Pixie to a groomer. I do trim her face myself sometimes, when it needs it and it doesn't seem worth paying for something that would take 5 minutes. Other than that I only shower them and occasionally brush them.

I'd like to get nice clippers and do my own grooming, because a lot of the time she comes back from the groomer looking ridiculous. I use the pet store for grooming because I know them and they are cheap, but they basically just shave the dogs all over, even goldens and various other breeds that shouldn't be shaved. One time I took her to a place that does style cuts and asked for a "poodly haircut" and got her back in the worst teddy cut EVER. Seriously. I couldn't believe any groomer would send her home looking the way she did. Basically shaved all of her short, except her face, which wasn't touched at all.

But I digress. I'd love to do my own grooming, but can't afford $300 for clippers at the moment, so for now I'm stuck with a groomer.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I do them all myself. Leeo and Blu Boy were my experiments as far as grooming and clipping Poodle type hair. The first few times they looked rather odd ... I eventually after 5 years became pretty good at it ... if I must say so myself! Lol! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Kenda has short fur and she really likes water, so I bathe her myself. I use some hippy-dippy henna shampoo that someone gave me (but in truth I like it a lot - the scent isn't overpowering and she gets squeaky clean.) She's a sort of rough-and-tumble dog who spends a lot of time in the woods and lakes and creeks, so as long as she isn't stinky or oily to the touch, she's groomed enough!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Biscuit really just needs baths, and we do it at home. We have a shower stall with a handheld attachment so it's not so bad. I do take her to a groomer for nail clipping and occasionally to have her ear fur evened out.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
We use a groomer. We've done between-groom baths, but never clipped. I'd love to try trimming her myself, but I'm so scared I'll cut her with the clippers.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I bought some clippers for less than a $100 and a grooming arm with noose that clamps onto a table and clip Casbah myself. I don't do a great or even necessarily a good job but fur grows and it's definitely cheaper than taking her to Petsmart every few months like I used to do. Now I only take her to the Petsmart groomers if she needs her anal glands expressed. I'm sure they appreciate that. :p

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I do it myself: Bathing, brushing, teeth, and nail trims (clippers and dremel). No need to bother with ears, anal glands, or trimming hair with Kit. Short hair means she always looks groomed no matter how long it's been.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I do it all. Sassy did look unkempt during shedding, she could have a cloud of fuzz going when it was in full swing. After I got the furminator and gave her those nice walk til dry baths she mostly looked pretty nice.

Max is fun to groom. He doesn't really need trimming except for the hobbit feet he gets so shortening up his ear fuzz and fringes and pulling out the undercoat is at my discretion. Very few knots and mats, I have to not brush for a couple weeks before he gets a small one or two. A dremel takes care of the feet and I don't need to clear his anal sacs ever unlike Sassy. He dries in a half hour walk if I am lazy or half an hour with the dryer if I want to get rid of some of the curlies.

From day one I work on body handling with the dogs so I can clean even sore ears, handle the mouth and feet if and when it is necessary.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I do them at home myself with a shower attachment. I also will take Sierra to be groomed every great once in a while (although Misty never goes to the groomer - she is too much for them to handle) and I will also take them to a self service salon (provides all the professional tools/table/high power vac/expensive equipment) for a small fee and I do them myself there. I usually do that when Misty blows her coat and needs a HV vac blowout of her hair or I want Sierra trimmed just so.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I do all Jubel's grooming myself now, used to take him to petsmart/petco for nail trims/grinds before I got my own grinder. Basically just give him a bath in the shower with hand held attachment every 1-2 months when he gets a bit stinky or grimy to the touch. Ideally I'll touch up his nails 1-2 times a week with the grinder and clean his ears with about the same frequency. Usually just a wipe with a tissue, using some ear cleaner if the tissue comes out looking gross.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I groom all of mine myself. I can't imagine the fortune I would spend taking all 10 to the groomers. lol

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I groom Buster myself. He went to PetSmart for grooming once as a puppy. Once he hit, I think, 5 months they wanted over $100 and I just cant see paying that for something I can do myself...and the one time I had him done he came back looking just like I'd done him.

Bath & dry every 4-6 weeks, as needed. Trim fur on paws about once a month to keep him from slipping on hard floors. Clean ears weekly. Grind nails twice a week. Brush thoroughly 3-4 times a week, daily when he's blowing coat (his adult coat is SO much lower maintenance than his puppy coat was!). I'll wipe down his legs, chest & face between baths as needed to keep him clean and limit ouchie skin sores from staying wet (he drools and soaks the front end...and tends to piddle on his back feet).

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
When we first got Luke, we bathed him ourselves, but then decided to take him to a groomer. We took him to one five minutes away and it was awful. The groomers didn't listen, cut our pup and didn't tell us, insulted my mother on how she combed him, etc. So we left and went to another one and we love it. Our groomer listens, cuts Luke just right, and Luke likes it there too.

So yes, we go to a groomer. The price is a bit high, but Luke is worth it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts