Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
A quality kibble with the AAFCO stamp is a balanced diet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't give mine any vitamins. I know our breeder told us that this usually isn't necessary if you give them kibble for puppies, it should contain all of the daily vitamins that the puppy needs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I disagree. Even the best puppy foods are lacking. Have you read the aafco standards? Did you know that Ol'Roy is considered complete according to aafco standards? Every dog food that is on the shelf is considered "complete" by aafco standards so they are allowed to put that on the bag.

I think that feeding a quality kibble is the best foundation for your puppy (protein and fat) but then adding a good supplement to supply the things that are cooked out of your pup's food (or were not even put in the food), like vitamins, minerals and omega fatty acids. Just think if you ate the same diet daily for months or even years...you'd have some imbalance in your nutrition too.

Also, there are things that are good for your puppy/dog that are not in the list of aafco ingredients. Spirulina, that has proven excellent health benefits and can be fed to human children can't be added to a dog's food because it is not recognized by aafco.

Remember, aafco is a regulating body. Their publications change every year. Their standards aren't set in concrete. Overall, their recommendations and their regulations for uniformity are helpful but certainly not something to blindly adhere to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should always consult with your vet before adding supplements. If you are feeding a well balanced quality formula dog food, supplements are usually not needed and in many cases can be dangerous!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have found two different schools of thought on this forum, that mirror what I think is going on in society in general. There are the people who consult their doctor for everything (or their vet) and those that don't.

I don't think that adding scientifically known nutrients that are required by canines that are destroyed by heat to my dog's diet as "dangerous". Just like I don't find giving my kids or myself supplements "dangerous".

Also, my vet is the first to tell me that the training he received in vet school regarding nutrition was at best, minimal. We have had many discussions regarding nutrition and in many instances, he asks me for answers.

I do rely on my vet for medical questions and for treating medical conditions but would not rely on him for questions about nutritional deficiencies. His first reaction is that an itchy dog should be on medication for allergies vs. my first reaction is to try to use nutrition to help before going the medication route.

I spent years going to a dermatologist for excema and it never really got "cured". But I got years of steroid treatment and lots of medicated shampoos and creams. When I began looking into it from the other side, I found that a fatty acid deficiency can be the culprit...and basically, with fish oil supplements and adding some tea tree oil to my shampoo, I have resolved this without medication and have been excema free for the past 15 years.

So, I agree that vets are needed for some things but truly, common sense, research and applying known nutrition and science facts can sometimes be an alternative.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I wouldn't add any minerals as kibble is usually over supplemented with those anyway. Don't think I would add vitamins either. I would and always have added fish oil to the diet for the Omega 3 fatty acids. O3s are very fragile and it is difficult to imagine they could survive the kibble process or get sprayed on after and survive air exposure.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I give Alvin a joint supplement because, well, he's old and he has bad joints. Prior to this dog, I've never given a pet vitamins or supplements.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think in moderation things like that can be just fine, personally I stopped barking up that tree a few years ago *L. When I first got a dog and found out so much more was involved then just walking and feeding him it seemed like every idea was a great idea. Top notch kibble sure, powder supplements sure, vitamins sure, kong with treats sure, dog breath stuff for the water sure and then I just threw on the brakes and had to stop all that stuff. It just seemed like so many good things were out there that I should be getting for my dog and every 6 weeks something else would be written about or new to the holistic pet store that needed to be introduced, how stupid it all got *lol. No way in heck could all that stuff be good for my dog, even though it seems harmless I mean what dog doesn't get treats and food and breath freshener stuff but really, every day? I had no idea if any good OR harm was coming out of this so it all went to the garbage but for the quality kibble. No more kongs for training, treats only every 6 weeks when he had a bath and really should in my mind get one *lol and back to basic, normal, no additives bowl of water. Gotta say I like it *smiles*, no kongs to wash, ingredients to read, none of that stuff.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes we feed a :

Multi -vitamin
Joint/Muscle supplement
Digestive Aid supplement

Here is a forinstance take Glucosamine supplement added in your dogs kibble for joints look and see how many cups of kibble you need to give your dog to equal 500mg because anything under 500mg is not going to do anything for your dogs joints ect...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, I am just passing on advice that my breeder has given me. I fed my puppy her food, and have always only given my dogs their food even as adults with no additional vitamins. I do not go to my vet for every little piece of advice, but for me PERSONALLY, I would ask my vet before adding anything additional to my dog's diet such as vitamins and supplements because yes, if you do not know what to give your dog it could be dangerous. I am not judging anyone or saying that anyone is right or wrong for doing so, just passing on some advice that I have received, and sharing what I have always done with my dogs who have always seemed fine with this. I hope this clears some things up, I apologize if I offended anyone.

·
Registered
361 Posts
With two giant breed puppies I do give a daily joint supplement. A bit of extra glucosamine and chondrotin won't hurt and could very well help their growing bodies. I'll probably keep it up the rest of their lives because it's fairly inexpensive and joint issues are always something to watch out for (even with OFA tested parents).

I also do probiotics because there have been some recent studies that show puppies do better generally when given probiotics while getting through the puppy vaccine series. Once they are done with their shots I'll stop the probiotics except for if/when they are on antibiotics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I give my dog True-Dose Jointcare. I like it because you just spray it on the food. I have a discount code to get it half off. Message me if you want it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts