Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3-month old puppy has just figured out that he's able to jump onto the couch whenever he wants. It doesn't bother me that he jumps up onto this particular couch. And, it's fun to have him sit with us on the couch sometimes.

I mean, I wouldn't want him to jump on every couch he sees, assuming we take him to someone else's house. But, am I encouraging bad behavior if I allow him to get onto our couch? Should I start teaching him that dogs on couches is a no-no?

On a similar note, is it bad for me to let him sit in my lap while on the couch. As a seasoned cat owner, I'm happy with pets sitting in my lap. But, in the dog world, is it perceived as a demonstration of power for the dog to literally sit on me? I've seen so many differing points of view on what we're supposed to let our dog do in this regard, I'm a little confused.

Sorry, this turned into two different topics.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I let mine on the furniture, but only when invited. The first year, they are not allowed on. It is an earned privilege.

But having said that, there' nothing like curling up with the dogs, whether it's on my couch or my bed. Lot's more cleaning for me though.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Don't buy into that dominance crap. You're dog laying on you're lap isn't dominating you, he's enjoying being close to you.

Mine is allowed on the couch and on the bed but she knows when off means off. I really don't think it's that big a deal. They aren't likely to go jumping on everyone's couch and if they do its a simple matter of telling them to get down.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Dogs don't generalize particularly well, so in a way, yes, if he's allowed on YOUR couch that doesn't make other couches different to him. My mutt will climb up on our patio furniture to have a sit with us. Every one is allowed on any thing they want.

You can teach the on and off command. He can learn that he isn't allowed to get onto a couch or any furniture unless asked.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
We bought leather furniture FOR the dogs so yeah, they're allowed wherever they want to go. I waited til I had a husband and two kids before I got my first dog; they're part of the family and the family is allowed on the chairs!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I personally think the invite only is the best way to go, both for the couch and laps. If it is a free for all, like you said, your pup may jump on someone else's couch or lap without invite! It isn't really two different topics, it is very related!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Corona has free reign, which isn't the end of the world since she's small enough that she can simply be picked up and put on the floor, but I should have trained her to be invite-only. George I taught to only come up when he is invited, and I MUCH prefer that.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
My two little ones are allowed. The one little one sleeps with me. The big one sheds, so she has to be invited. Sometimes she just puts the top half of her body on the couch and looks at me as if to say " I'm not really on it....just a little".....Lol!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yup, my two big boys are allowed on the furniture. HOWEVER! If you expect your dog not to jump up on furniture your best bet is probably not to allow it at all.

My dogs also know the commands "jump up" (if I want them in a certain place) and most importantly, "off". Off is probably one of the best commands I have taught my dogs. I can sit on the floor, invite Tyler to cuddle and sit in my lap (and yes, he is 80 pounds!) and then tell him calmly, "off" and he gets off of me and gives me space. Its lovely.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Yep, my dogs are allowed up. Obi jumps up whenever he feels like it, but Pixie always asks permission. I didn't teach her that, I guess her previous owner did. They both love to sit on my lap too, which I think is nice.

You could teach him to ask permission before jumping up, by asking him for a sit and then release him to come up, and whenever he jumps up without being told to he gets put back down. You could also teach him to settle at your feet, for when you visit other people.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I allow ours on furniture. When we go to friends places I take their doggy doughnut pad w us, they are naturally drawn to their pads, they normally lay on them at home. Easy transition.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My big dog is apart of the family. He's like having a son since I have no children. He has free reign of the furniture and has actually claimed my fiancé's leather chair as his own. He sits in it hilariously too. He knows he's not allowed in our bed (he's big and my bed is already too darn small) but like a child he climbs into it around 4-5AM, lol. I don't mind since he doesn't usually disturb me, but I can't fall asleep if he's on the bed when I first go to bed. So that's his schedule. Not allowed in bed until 4-5AM. :p

Sitting in the chair oddly. (Someone told me they think he sits this way because he may have a hip issue - which, unfortunately, may be the case at only 8 months old).

Sleeping in the chair.

He's made it his. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,277 Posts
All the time, and he hasn't tried to take over the household yet, lol. He's chewing a bone next to me right now, in fact.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Used to have a special dog throw over our one couch that we would wisk off if we had company... then one dog got too old to get up there any more and the new young dog developed spay incontinence, so alas we now have no dogs on the furniture, the cat is delighted!

·
Registered
136 Posts
To be on our couch & be canine you must weigh 20 pounds or less. 2 of ours are tiny & a big dog hopping up might mean the death of one of the littles. So small breeds yes, large breeds no. That's okay the littles aren't allowed to go do some of the big dogs favorite things nor do they get the big raw meaty bones that the big guys do. If I allowed big dogs up, it would be by invitation only.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ahem....:redface:

LOL

Oh and yes, he sleeps in the bed with me too.

Every dog I've ever lived with has been allowed to at least sleep in bed with me. I don't buy into the whole dominance idea either. If I worried every time Luke laid on me, leaned on me, sat his butt on my lap, I'd be a wreck.:wink:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Yep. We have crap furniture so in my case I think it would be silly to ban her from it. She's not going to do any damage that hasn't already been done to it in a past life. :p

1 - 20 of 46 Posts