Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a do not pet patch for my dog cause I hate when people come up and pet him especially kids cause he likes to jump sometimes. I’m not good at telling people no so I’m wondering if it’s a ok for anon service dog to wear do not pet patch on their harness. Please give your opinion on this I haven’t been able to get much feedback

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don’t think it’s wrong. As long as it doesn’t say “service dog”. The issue isn’t your lack of a “do not pet” patch though, even if you had one, many kids wouldn’t understand, or read it, all they see is a dog. And many parents don’t care enough to stop their kids. Even if you had a “service dog” patch, there are still plenty of people who will look past it and pet the dog anyway. It’s always worth a shot, but don’t be surprised if people pet him anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks! They’re pretty cheap so I’ll try it if anything it can only help and can’t hurt to try

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah I don't see anything wrong with that, if you don't feel comfortable telling people not to pet your dog. Some people will probably ignore it, but at least it might make some people slow down and start that conversation.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
As long as you are not going to be using than as part of passing off a pet as a service dog, there is nothing wrong with it at all. There are lots of reasons to not want people to pet a dog. You can get patches, collars, and leashes with "Do Not Pet' on them. my dogs used to wear harnesses that said "Working" on them when. The harnesses I use now don't allow the patches.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Go for it! I bought a 'bark note' for Atlas that also says Do Not Pet. Like you, I can shy away from asking people not to pet him, which isn't fair to him. (In my case, he generally doesn't love strangers touching him.)

It hasn't stopped everyone, but I was surprised on a camping weekend that we did with it, how well it did work. I had a couple people see it and comment that they would like to pet him, but they respected the sign, or people watching him roll in some leftover snow just watched without trying to gain his attention or approach him. I have it slipped on his harness, so not everyone can see it right away, but I haven't had anyone who saw it still try and reach for him. It also gave me the little boost to be more assertive when out in public.

·
Registered
935 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a "Do Not Pet" patch it is your dog and you have that option, some want to train/socialize way and nothing wrong with that.

You know your dog best and should feel no guilt in not wanting people to come up to your dog for any reason.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Totally agree. You're only hitting unethical if you put patches on him that say "Service Dog" or "Service Dog in Training" OR attempt to use the patches to get him in places pet dogs aren't allowed. Sounds like you understand that and have a totally legit reason for wanting 'do not pet' patches! I wish more people put thought into how their actions might reflect on genuine service dog teams...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I know that’s why I wanted to know for sure and ask other people’s opinion’s cause I wouldn’t want to offend the service dog community

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree with the other posters. If a "Do not pet" sign will help avoid a tricky or potentially dangerous situation go for it. I am not implying you have a unpredictable dog but sometimes accidents happen for whatever reason.

Leave it up to the dog to decide who she or he wants to approach.

Something else that might help is to teach the dog an unobtrusive signal to "ignore" or avoid someone you don't want near you or the dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts