Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have this chihuahua/terrier mix, at night time, she likes to sleep on my lap. even when i push her away, she will automatically crawl on my lap, and sleep like that.

is that their instict or it is just this dog's preference?

·
Banned
352 Posts
My wifes Guide is a little 50 lb. Black Lab, and she likes to crawl up in my wifes lap at times. My wife says she doesnt have a "Labrador"; she has a "Lapador".

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
My goodness.. there are ppl who would love a dog to do just that. :)

I think the lap dog term has more to do with the dog's size than any predisposition for laps. Sounds like you little dog is connecting with you though. What is your dog's name? Does he have short hair like the Chi or longer, wirey hair like the terrier side? How big is he?

If you don't WANT him in your lap you can train him to stay in a bed at your feet or next to your chair.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Icesis will sit on my lap sometimes, but she rarely will sleep on my lap. She has a overstuffed chair right near mine at the computer that she prefers most of the time, most likely becuase it's a chair she gets all to herself instead of having to share.

She prefers bed cuddles, because then she can hog most of the space.

·
Super Moderator
12,061 Posts
I'm mostly a big dog kinda guy, but I find it very comforting to have my mother's shitzu or my daughter's miniature schnauzer fall asleep on my lap. You can actually feel your blood pressure reduce and the cares of the day melt away.

It's an entirely different experience than playing tug-of-war with a 75-pound Plott hound.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Our Yorky/Llapsa/Pekineese is right now laying on my husband's lap and the Pomeranian puppy is laying on her side on the sofa between us.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have four "lap dogs" and really, only two of them would I say are truly "lap" dogs...if they had their way they'd be on my lap sleeping all day, every day. My other two are more spirited and want to get into things and do stuff only want to "cuddle" sometimes.... I think it depends on the dogs personality rather than size....my sister has a 70 pound boxer that would crawl up in her lap every night as well if she'd let him :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
"lap dog" doesn't mean the dog likes to sit on laps, it is the term given to small dogs originally bread for nobility, which would tend to be placed on one's lap. Cuddling is not an instinct due to the breed's classification.
Not all dogs like to sit on people's laps, but some dogs do. It often has to do with a sense of security and/or affection. Each dog is different, let's not overlook the quality of personality!! (or the fact that some very large dogs like to sit on laps too).

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I have a 72-lb. "lap dog," a 55-lb. "lap dog," a "34-lb. "lap dog," and a 12-lb. "lap dog." 3 are Standard Poodles, and one is a Shih Tzu. It ain't size, it's an attitude! LOL

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a 72-lb. "lap dog," a 55-lb. "lap dog," a "34-lb. "lap dog," and a 12-lb. "lap dog." 3 are Standard Poodles, and one is a Shih Tzu. It ain't size, it's an attitude! LOL
Heh heh, I was just about to post the same about my 55-pound "lap dog"! ;) (The two babies are still less than 30 pounds but I'm sure they will be just as lap-loving when they're 50+ pounds too!)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Heh heh, I was just about to post the same about my 55-pound "lap dog"! ;) (The two babies are still less than 30 pounds but I'm sure they will be just as lap-loving when they're 50+ pounds too!)
Oh yes, indeed! My big and muscular male is a real snuggle bunny! LOL And to think that there are people who are actually afraid of him because of his size just cracks me up!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'm not sure about whether it's "most" dogs, but I know my dog Max likes to nap on my lap. Sometimes we take an afternoon nap together on the couch. I'll lay down on my back and he'll curl up on my stomach. It's so comforting and relaxing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Awww.. Please don't take her back. It sounds like she is really comfortable with you. Tell us more about her. Is she a puppy or an older dog? What is her name?
If she is not a puppy- she is probably used to sleeping like that with her previous owner-it probably makes her feel safe. Dogs like to sleep with their back against something. Does she have a bed--maybe with sides or donut shaped that she can snuggle into? You could put that next to you if you don't want her on your lap.
From this post and some of your others- it sounds like she is very lonely and insecure and wants very much to be with you. I think once she feels more secure she will be less of a "velcro dog". She just needs to know that you aren't going to disappear too.
Please give her a chance- trust me there are worse things in life than having someone that loves you and wants to be with you no matter what. You can teach her boundries little by little but she as to feel safe first.
Think of where she has been- wouldn't you feel a little insecure too????

·
Registered
304 Posts
My AS would be in my lap every time I sat down, if he could figure out how to fit in my chair.lol

The little dog (twelve pounds or so) prefers to lay down on the couch next to somebody.

My Border Collie prefers to be on the couch, but she doesn't care whether anyone is on the couch or not.

·
Registered
198 Posts
carrie (the rat terrier) would like to sit on the couch within view of people and the windows slash doors. unless i have a blanket, then she will go under.

dafe (jrt) would like to be on top of a person. she will put her butt next to the laptop (if it's in my lap) if i re-adjust, she scoots back onto my lap while the computer is in the air. very sneaky.

roxy (pibble) would like to be on the couch snuggling and looking at someone with adoration in her eyes.

my mother's great dane is also a major lapdog, the only difference is that she can only fit her head or sometimes her butt on top of you.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Haha, we used to tell Willow that she was a "Lab dog", not a "lapdog", LOL. She weighed 60 opunds and was always trying to sleep on somebody. Toby wants to be a lapdog, too (85 pounds!). Silly dogs.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Akira will not come (and never stay) on my lap unless I am brushing him ! He does not want to sleep close to anyone but eh I chose my breed knowing that :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts