Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently adopted a dog. yesterday, i probably fed her too much food with salt in it. but I let her out in the yard about an hour ago. i thought that she already knew not to urinate inside the house. so i let her do whatever inside the house. but somehow she urinated again inside the house! I was there, she was sneaky, she didn't try to sniff around me. and at her usual sleeping area, i always have some dried newspaper with her urine scent on it. she didn't go to that spot, either. instead, she found a spot where I can't see her, and did it right there! and while i was cleaning it, changing the cleaning water, she urinated again a few steps away from that spot! the total time when i was absent on that spot was probably less than 1 minute! i think that the first time when she urinated was probably less than 30 minutes ago, so I thought that she was already done urinating, so I didn't take her out again. I totally didn't expect her to urinate AGAIN in such a short time, and without showing me any signs!

i have seen her sniffing around the house quite often, at first i always assumed that she wants to urinate, but she hardly ever does. and this time, i only saw her sniffing on her urinated spot a few seconds. now i was really pissed at her.

so i wonder if most dogs actually show signs when they want to eliminate or is my dog just out of the ordinary, is she just simply stupid?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I need to know the following before I can answer:

1. How old is the dog?
2. How long have you had the dog?
3. What kind of feeding/walking schedule does the dog have?
4. What kind of training methods are you using?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 year old, 1 month.

i usually leave the dog out in the yard after feeding her. and i stated in the first message, i let her out in the yard about an hour ago. when she is alone in the yard, i never see her urinating one after another.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i just recently adopted a dog. yesterday, i probably fed her too much food with salt in it. but I let her out in the yard about an hour ago. i thought that she already knew not to urinate inside the house. so i let her do whatever inside the house. but somehow she urinated again inside the house! I was there, she was sneaky, she didn't try to sniff around me. and at her usual sleeping area, i always have some dried newspaper with her urine scent on it. she didn't go to that spot, either. instead, she found a spot where I can't see her, and did it right there! and while i was cleaning it, changing the cleaning water, she urinated again a few steps away from that spot! the total time when i was absent on that spot was probably less than 1 minute! i think that the first time when she urinated was probably less than 30 minutes ago, so I thought that she was already done urinating, so I didn't take her out again. I totally didn't expect her to urinate AGAIN in such a short time, and without showing me any signs!

i have seen her sniffing around the house quite often, at first i always assumed that she wants to urinate, but she hardly ever does. and this time, i only saw her sniffing on her urinated spot a few seconds. now i was really pissed at her.

so i wonder if most dogs actually show signs when they want to eliminate or is my dog just out of the ordinary, is she just simply stupid?
Quite often, dogs don't. And those that do can take a while to develop a way to alert you (or for you to recognize the signs they're giving). How long have you been working on housebreaking with her?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i am free, i walk the dog.

when i am not free, i take the dog out to the backyard about every 2 hours.

isn't that enough for the dog. this dog is so stupid.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
when i am free, i walk the dog.

when i am not free, i take the dog out to the backyard about every 2 hours.

isn't that enough for the dog. this dog is so stupid.
Dogs don't know where to use the bathroom any more than babies, until they're taught. You may need to start with the basics of potty training all over again, because if you rescued this dog, you have no idea where it came from and what skills it actually has. My Dachshund was listed as "potty trained and knows basic commands." He knew neither. So I taught him, and he is now.

And if she's peeing so often, you need to visit a vet and rule out a UTI or other problems.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
First of all, I don't care for your nick-name, or the way you are talking about your pet.

Secondly, my puppy does this all the time. It's what non-potty trained dogs do...they urinate...and poop...A LOT! Just have a lot of carpet cleaner and paper towels on hand. I usually have to take my pup out every hour...which I do religiously, and she still potties in the house very, very often. I think if they have to go badly enough, they won't sniff...or sometimes I don't think they care where they go.

Was it your choice to get this dog? If so, maybe you should have rethought it. I get frustrated sometimes with mine...but you sound beyond frustrated.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
First, stop blaming the dog for being a dog. Dogs like to pee; after eating, sleeping, and humping, it might be their favorite activity. If you start getting frustrated with her for doing what she likes to do, you could scare her into a submissive urination, making your problem even worse.

Second, by keeping a newspaper with urine on it inside the house, you've basically been communicating that it's ok to pee inside. If she's going that often, she might be scent-marking the house. Unless you feel like marking over her scent, you need to use an enzymatic cleaner to get rid of every last trace of her urine indoors; regular household cleaners won't do the job. A blacklight is useful in finding spots you missed.

Third, you're doing a great thing by taking her out every couple hours. Praise her when she does go outside. If you're using a clicker or bridge word, use it the second she begins her squat, and have a treat ready for her when she's done. Keep track of what time she goes, and start setting a regular schedule. Eventually, she'll figure out that she gets rewarded for going outside, but not inside.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
And if she's peeing so often, you need to visit a vet and rule out a UTI or other problems.
Absolutely. She's not stupid. Even if she doesn't have physical issues causing this, she's only as smart as the training she receives. Train her to go outside. Start by going every hour. Praise her when she goes outside. When she's consistent with that, then you can go back up to two.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
If you've been taking her out after every meal, you have done a good job of preventing accidents from happening, and you're about halfway there. HOWEVER, I don't see anything that you've done as far as reinforcing that THAT is where to pee- you've just been not allowing her to pee anywhere else.

Keep taking her out after food and stay with her. Keep her on leash if you need to, or just follow her around, and as soon as she starts to eliminate, start praising- and as soon as she's done, give her a treat. (Not just praise, because frankly, I doubt your praise means much to your dog.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts