Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, i got a new car and the xl dog crate wont fit in the back now, I do have a metal barrier that i can still use in the back to keep my lab from jumping up in the front. My question is, the only thing im worried about is when i open up the big door in the back that my lab will jump out befor i get a chance to open it completely and hold her. Do i just need to teach her to stay until i get the door open and get her leash on? Is there anything else i can do to keep her from jumping out befor i get the door open all the way??? I dont know if she is gonna jump out, im just worried about it cuz im pregnant and cant go running after her.
I do have a 20FT training leash. I could attatch her to that and just set it in the back incase she does jump out i have a chance to grab the leash until she learns to stay.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Most of us train the dog to resist bolting through openings and doorways until invited to do so. This way, if you are distracted and don't give the "stay" quickly enough, the dog remains in place anyway.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would teach the wait command, wait is asking your dog to wait until the leash is on and you invite them out the door. Stay however means stay put and is usually used for longer periods of time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts