Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been taking my dogs to get groomed at the same place for years. The first time I went years ago, I tried to tip the guy who did the grooming and he said he doesn't accept tips. Incidentally, he is the owner. Yesterday, I bought my dog to get groomed and the lady who was at the front desk who I handed the payment to looked like she was expecting a tip. Now I feel terrible because I came with just the amount for the service. What is the proper etiquette here? Does the owner not expect a tip but everyone else is supposed to be tipped? I never really know who the groomer will be working on my dog. Am I supposed to ask who the groomer was and hand them the tip myself?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Maybe I am just a bad person.. but i have only tipped one groomer ever. Because she was saving up for a new table and had a tip jar on the front desk.

No one should just expect a tip. I think thats really rude.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I have a friend who is a groomer and she has said that you're supposed to tip. More depending on how difficult the dog/groom was. (if the dog put up a fight or was very matted, for example)

She's in the US and I know when to tip is a very cultural specific thing.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Maybe I am just a bad person.. but i have only tipped one groomer ever. Because she was saving up for a new table and had a tip jar on the front desk.

No one should just expect a tip. I think thats really rude.
Not sure if you mean in general or just groomers, but in the US it's commonplace for waiters/waitresses to be paid under minimum wage with the rest of their income expected to come from their tips.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
When I worked as a bather in a groomer's shop, tipping wasn't EXPECTED, but it was very much appreciated, particularly as the groomer always shared tips out with all of her staff, none of whom made much more than minimum wage. It's a service, much like any other, such as hair cuts, taxi, etc, and I do think it's a good idea to tip whenever possible. I can say from experience that dog grooming is NOT easy, particularly for the support staff who do the bathing, etc, and tips are always very much appreciated, particularly if you have a dog that can be difficult.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I tip Aidan's groomer. I like her a lot and she does a great job!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I'm typically a very good tipper when the person has done a great job with anything (my own hair stylist, waitresses/waiters, etc) but it honestly never crossed my mind to tip my groomer. Crap. They always do a great job, so I will have to consider doing so in the future.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I always tip the groomer just as much as I tip my hairdresser or a waiter, 20% ...always!
These people work very hard and their livelihood depends on their tips!

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Yes, tipping groomers is "proper etiquette" in the us, just like
A waitress or hair stylist. I groom a little bit and trim nails at a dog park, and while I'm not EXPECTING a tip, most people do and it's kind of aggravating when I spend ten-15 minutes trying to trim the nails of an aggressive/mouthy/squirmy/energetic adolescent dog and I only make $4. I don't mind not being tipped from owners with well behaved dogs.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
As a groomer myself. I don't expect them. But I sure do appreciate getting them 9 times out of 10 people tip me. On average I make a extra 30 Tp 50 bucks a day on tips/nail trims. I groom a newfie every few months. He takes most of my day and his mom always leaves me 25 bucks. Which I love since I can't groom my normal 6 or 7 dogs a day when I have him I do 3 or 4 which drastically decreases my pay that day. But he's worth it

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Yes, it's appropriate to tip a groomer. I've been in the service industry as a groomer and a hair stylist, and I've never personally expected a tip because I am getting paid for my job and tips are just a nice bonus. I don't think it's appropriate to act disappointed in front of a customer when you don't receive a tip. Now, when I am a customer I tip kind of excessively (at least if you ask my boyfriend who is a solid 20% guy) especially if I got a really great service.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If the groomer has been good all year both me and my mother give a card with cash tip for christmas, we also do this for our hair dresser though. Now if it's someone filling in for our groomer one day and he/she does a great job. Then I tip for the good job because likely I won't see them around christmas to tip.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
I usually do.
10% - 20% sometimes as I really think its a hardworking job.

A hair cut for humans is not even that much hair to work with compared to dogs'.
To top it off humans don't bite.
And I give my hairdressers tips, so do hubby...

So definitely I'll give tips...
Unless they cause my dog unnecessary pain.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Grooming is HARD WORK. and Keep in mind some groomers if they are working in someone else facility may only make 50% of the actual profit ( maybe more maybe less) so suddenly a 35$ groom isn't so much to the groomer. Again. Dog grooming is HARD work and I think it is very good to tip your groomer. They get bit , scratched , pee'd on, pooped on, drooled on, farted on, anal glands. its not a glamorous job.

10 reasons why Pet grooming is more expensive then your haircut

10. Your Hairdresser doesn’t wash and clean your rear end.

9. You don’t go months without washing or brushing your hair

8. Your hairdresser doesn’t give you a sanitary trim.

7. Your hairdresser doesn’t clean your ears.

6. Your hairdresser doesn’t remove the boogies from your eyes.

5. You sit still for your hairdresser.

4. Your haircut doesn’t include a manicure or a pedicure.

3. Your hairdresser only washes and cuts the hair on your head.

2. You don’t bite or scratch your hairdresser.

1. The likelihood of you pooping on your hairdresser is pretty slim.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all of you .. i really need that suggestion.. next timei keep in my mind and take extra cash with me for tip..

Thank you soo much

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I think it's one of those unspoken rules that you're supposed to tip the groomer. I tip our groomer every month when she does Luke; we usually give her around $12-13.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Grooming is HARD WORK. and Keep in mind some groomers if they are working in someone else facility may only make 50% of the actual profit ( maybe more maybe less) so suddenly a 35$ groom isn't so much to the groomer. Again. Dog grooming is HARD work and I think it is very good to tip your groomer. They get bit , scratched , pee'd on, pooped on, drooled on, farted on, anal glands. its not a glamorous job.

10 reasons why Pet grooming is more expensive then your haircut

10. Your Hairdresser doesn’t wash and clean your rear end.

9. You don’t go months without washing or brushing your hair

8. Your hairdresser doesn’t give you a sanitary trim.

7. Your hairdresser doesn’t clean your ears.

6. Your hairdresser doesn’t remove the boogies from your eyes.

5. You sit still for your hairdresser.

4. Your haircut doesn’t include a manicure or a pedicure.

3. Your hairdresser only washes and cuts the hair on your head.

2. You don’t bite or scratch your hairdresser.

1. The likelihood of you pooping on your hairdresser is pretty slim.
I'm not sure why this is a list because it's a strange comparison. With a cosmetologist license, I did quite a bit more than wash and cut your hair. Manicures, pedicures, waxes, and facials cover most of this list. We discover infectious diseases and other not so great things.

I know quite a few stylists that have been bitten by children. ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts