Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a post recently whether dogs can demonstrate emotion, referring mostly to the devotion, love aspect. But they do have another side to them also, that being a littlle selfish.

Example, I have two small dogs, and they have over an acre of land to play in but for special treat, I take one at a time into the Forest area behind my house. I use a flexie leash thats why the one at a time and (so they will not chase deer, or turkeys and get lost), so I always take the girl first, as soon as we are out of sight of the male he will start barking, I feel he is concerned he cannot see the female. She totally ingnores him.
But when I take the male for his turn, she will wait, then start to bark, but not in the same tone as the male, more like I am in trouble bark, and the male will immediately turn around to go back, cutting his trip short. So when we get back she is all tail wiggles wanting me to take her for another walk because the Male came back so soon!:)

To me this demonstrates how shrewd, and crafty dogs can be, and full of many different kinds of emotions, not only nice ones!:eek:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I wondered about the samething sometimes. Ilya plays tricks on Lola she has a look of disgust on her face and it seems like he will quit and tell her he's sorry. He will even ask us to give him biscuits and give them to her immediately as if it was a peace offering.

Just when I thought Lola doesn't care about Ilya, he will get one of his anxious fits where he's not able to calm down and we have to leave. He wasn't too upset to where he would hurt himself and we were going to be back in an hour. When we arrived home, Lola was laying down in front of his crate with her head towards him and he was laying facing her. Compassion?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Oh yeah, I believe dogs can act in ways to attempt to manipulate their environment. I think that's a trait most living creatures share :)

On the emotional side, I also believe dogs have emotions, and can interpret context in social situations - and I would say that context also includes emotional state.

So why not a dog that can be selfish (or at least displaying "I want what he's getting!" which is probably closer to envy/jealousy)? And why not compassion? If dogs are able to read emotions keenly - why can't they act in a way that would display a level of compassion in response?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts