Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My English isn't very well, sorry :C

My mom said, I would get a dog if I can find a black dachshund. But my question is; do they excist?
I've been looking around and I couldn't find one. I only found black & tan.
But my mom wants a black one.

Can someone help me?

I'm from the Netherlands, so links of breeders doesn't help me.

Thanks C:

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
To my knowledge, no they don't exist. You can get a black and tan with very faint tan markings that make the dog appear to be black but I don't think there is solid black in the breed.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Really, and I am sorry if this upsets you, but if all your mother cares about is the color the dog is. Then in reality she doesn't need to be getting a dog. I'm sorry but, you/your mother should be focus on getting healthy dog from a reputable source (i.e COE breeder, or shelter/rescue), not focusing on color. Aesthetics play a small part, but health and temperament should be the focus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, you're totally right about that.
But I want a dog so bad. And if we got a dog, she will absolutely like him/her.
Well, we'll see

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I believe I have heard of it occurring, but I'm not sure how often. Solid reds and creams obviously exist, but there aren't any color faults in the Dachshund. There are things that aren't desirable, but not a fault.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just google image searched it, it is quite a striking look...Maybe thats just cause I'm not use to it. Anyways, sorry to hear about your luck. When you're old enough you can move out and get your own dog, and you won't be stuck adhering to someone else's nonsensical standards and stipulations.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lindi, are you sure you mom is not just trying to make it impossible, or at least improbable, for you to get a dog? I don't know how old you are but in my experience it's usually the adult, and often the female adult of a family, who ends up taking care - for the most part - of said animal. And your mom might not want that responsibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for helping me you all. :)

AgentP: She said she saw a black dachshund, and she liked him. But I'm not sure if it really was a dachshund.
Yeah, my mom said that before. A few years ago though. (I'm 14 now by the way). So, I don't now if she still thinks the same about that now.
I'll just keep looking around. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for helping me you all. :)

AgentP: She said she saw a black dachshund, and she liked him. But I'm not sure if it really was a dachshund.
Yeah, my mom said that before. A few years ago though. (I'm 14 now by the way). So, I don't now if she still thinks the same about that now.
I'll just keep looking around. :)
Rather than keep looking for a dog you might not find, why not ask mom for a straight answer? I think it's OK not wanting that responsibility. Dogs do live many years (hopefully) and you might be off to college and partying, travelling etc. in a few years time. I have a couple of couples/moms here in my neighborhood who take care of their kid's dog... one couple said getting the dog was the best mistake their daughter ever made, because they fell in love with her and don't mind taking care of her full time now while their daughter is concentrating on her career and having fun. The other mom is not all that happy about.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
There is a black dachshund in my dog's dachshund meetup group. His name is Blackie! haha. He's actually a rescue from a puppy mill, where he was a breeding dog. He isn't a particularly well bred dachshund, so maybe that accounts for the color, but what can you expect from a puppy mill?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts