Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
To attribute feelings as only being human capabilities is ludicrous. It is well known exp for those in the horse world that horses feel fear, as do dogs. If they csn feel fear, why not happiness? Saddness, anger? Those are basic emotions that even 2 yr old kids csn feel.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Agreed! Not only do they have feelings, but they have personalities too ^__^ Why else would puppies cry when you leave them alone? If they don't have feelings, wouldn't they just be like robots?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have a really hyper and nervous dog. He constantly demands attention and I usually give it to him.

So I was a tad worried when I got into a big car accident last year and I was unable to walk or play with him for about 2 months. I had a friend who would drop by and bring him on a walk. We usually walk the town twice. He'd do the first round just fine, as if he needed it, then he'd throw a tantrum to come back when they'd walk by the house again. He'd come back inside, lay down at my feet and he'd stay there all night. Never a bark, never a request to go outside, nothing.

So yeah, I guess. If they have enough instinctive empathy to realize you are not feeling well and act accordingly, I can't see why they wouldn't have the really basic emotions.

·
Banned
280 Posts
If you wanna know if they have feelings get a Labrador! And watch them when they are happy! My dog's whole body wags when he is happy XD He cries when he sees me but cannot get inside. He barks when he wants attention. And his personality is just crazy! When I go out to him he cannot control his emotions XD

And he is afraid of cars. Don't ask me why...Whenever we go for a walk and a car drives past he will cower and hide behind me..And Coco is not fazed by cars at all..Even though she is the one that was hit by one...

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yep, funny story, one day I had a migrane, I took some meds & passed out. OH brought Izze in (this was before Josefina) for the night, he told me that she went to my side of the bed, but I was asleep on the other side. She then went to the side I was on & stayed by my face with her head resting on the bed for a long time, a few minutes, then she laid down on the floor next to me.

If that isn't love, I dont know what is.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
It's always, ALWAYS been ludicrous to me that people will deny that animals have feelings. We had a great dane for 5 days, who (the whole time) looked positively sad. His whole posture was that of something who was feeling sad. When they came to pick him up tonight, his entire demeanor was happy.
My youngest dog is obvious to me when he's happy or sad. His entire posture, ear/tail position, eyes, and over all expression change. I can't believe this is still debatable.
ETA: If anyone wants to debate if horses can feel anger, try standing behind them. You'll figure it out xD

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I think animals have feelings too, and I think the idea that they don't is a remnant from when humans needed to believe they were more special than other animals and the centre of the universe.

However, I found the article a bit awkwardly written, and it's not a scientific article. It's full of emotional terms and leading questions. I would like to see a scientific article that actually explores the evidence.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I think animals have feelings too, and I think the idea that they don't is a remnant from when humans needed to believe they were more special than other animals and the centre of the universe.

However, I found the article a bit awkwardly written, and it's not a scientific article. It's full of emotional terms and leading questions. I would like to see a scientific article that actually explores the evidence.
Scientific articles that explore evidence is fine with me, and I do enjoy reading the articles. There was a big stink on that you tube video of the mother cat "hugging" the kitten. 50% of the population said she was hugging the kitten, and the other 50% said she simply stretched, making it "look" like she was hugging the kitten. Articles are informative, but hands on experience gets a person farther IMO, and even if the articles disagree that dogs can feel relief, happiness, anger, and sadness, it's really a no brainer to me. I know if a dog stiffens slightly when I pick up his foot to cut his toenails, I might want to watch out. I know if my dog flops in my lap and sighs, he's probably content vs. sighing because he's bored/sad/whatever. People who spend their lives watching and observing animals are impressive, but people who have dedicated their lives to actually interacting with them are the ones I listen to the most :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Not only do I believe they have a range of feelings but, can read them too.

Specially with a companion breed, it always seems that my girl knows how to respond to what I feel. When I'm sick she knows and just lays quietly and watches me vigilantly. If I cry she freaks out about it and tries to lick tears away and sit on my lap (she is not a lap dog).

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It is completely obvious that animals have a vast range of emotions, very similar to our own. Anyone that thinks they don't is either thick or has never spent any time with one.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I think dogs have a wide range of emotions and depending on how sensitive they are, they are able to read our emotions.

I've told this story a million times but will again.

2 1/2 years ago my father passed after from cancer. I knew he was very ill but I still thought he had some time, so when he passed away, it felt very sudden. I remember the day it happened, I was laying on the couch very upset. Uallis came into the living room and VERY gently climbed up on the couch beside me. Now this is a dog that does not cuddle and he does not share couches. He's literally kicked me off the couch onto the floor numerous times. This time though, he was very gentle and for once, actually watching where he put his feet so he wouldn't hurt me. He laid down beside me on the couch facing me and just...looked at me with such an incredibly sad expression in his eyes. I know he didn't understand that my father died and that is why I was upset, he just knew that I was hurting and I'm convinced that he was hurting as well...just because I was. I put my arm around him and just cried my heart out to him. He never once tried to push or kick me away (he will normally if you try to cuddle with him)

For about a week after, he wouldn't leave my side, but rather plastered himself to me. That is completely out of the norm for him. He's a dog that likes his personal space.

But anyway, that was a day that I will never forget and not just because it was the day my dad passed but because it solidified the bond I had with my dog. I've never felt closer to him than I did in that moment.

I've seen my dogs afraid, sad, happy, angry and just merely annoyed. I've seen them read those emotions in me before.

No one will ever be able to convince me that dogs don't have feelings. I don't understand how someone could own a dog, live with that animal every day, and not understand that.

It just boggles my mind.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Possibly because his first language isn't English. However, he's a well known scientist and behaviorist. I think maybe why I like him is because he isn't stuffy and pendantic. I also find it ia bit interesting that for some people animals are allowed to have the sweet fuzzy emotions, but not the other kind. I personally suspect we have NO idea the range or depth of their emotions. However, if I'm not sure what that emotion is, I'm not going to base my behavior on an assumption. I'm going to base it on their behavior. And, if I acknowledge a dog's right to a full range of emotions, I'm not going to act upon it with anger or vengance.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's always, ALWAYS been ludicrous to me that people will deny that animals have feelings. We had a great dane for 5 days, who (the whole time) looked positively sad. His whole posture was that of something who was feeling sad. When they came to pick him up tonight, his entire demeanor was happy.
Something every dane owner I know will attest to (in regards to how they act/feel when seperated from their people). I've always believed that dogs feel much more than we mere humans give them credit for, but having Luke just cemented that a hundred fold. It's so typically human to assume we are superior to animals and that they can't possibly be as complex as we are.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Possibly because his first language isn't English. However, he's a well known scientist and behaviorist. I think maybe why I like him is because he isn't stuffy and pendantic. I also find it ia bit interesting that for some people animals are allowed to have the sweet fuzzy emotions, but not the other kind. I personally suspect we have NO idea the range or depth of their emotions. However, if I'm not sure what that emotion is, I'm not going to base my behavior on an assumption. I'm going to base it on their behavior. And, if I acknowledge a dog's right to a full range of emotions, I'm not going to act upon it with anger or vengance.
Oh, and it's also a blog. Not a peer reviewed article.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Wally looked all pitiful earlier today (or I guess yesterday) because I was playing and having a good time with him, but then had to stop, and he must have thought I was suddenly ignoring him.

He flopped on his bed and had his head down flat on the bed and looking at me all pitiful.

Then when I got up, he started bouncing around and standing up on his back legs and started like "huff huff, mmmmmmm" type sounds with his tail wagging.

If that wasn't the emotional shift similar to a manic-depressive I don't know what it is :D

It's insane that people used to think dogs didn't have emotions. What did they think they were looking at? Seriously? It seems so obvious...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I got electrocuted and burned badly a year and a half ago, and my normal pogo-stick terrier girl laid in bed, not complaining with my nicely drugged up self for about a week until I could get around again. I was so out of it that I know I didn't feed her, I know I didn't water her, or let her out to potty (my gf did, obviously), but any time I stirred to life, Deebs was always laying by my side and would wag her tail weakly before gently pressing herself closer and closing her eyes again. I once woke up to her staring at me from inches away, occasionally I whimper in my sleep, her little eyebrows and forehead wrinkled in the most concerned look on her face a dog could ever have.

When Deebs is told no (as example: getting on the bed with me), she will sometimes go sit with her back to me. This is the worst thing she can think to do, I guess. She sits with her back to me, head turned slightly to the side trying to still see me, and her ears slicked back as flat as they will go, hoping to hear any semblance of her name so she can whip around and stare (and possibly get to do what she was initially told no to). The attitude on this one, sheesh. She is p*ssed off in straight three year old little kid fashion. There is NO other way to interpret her actions.

Our family's female greyhound died three years ago and our boy nearly mourned himself to death over losing her. He wouldn't eat, drink, or play. He had to be forced to go outside to even go to the bathroom, and stopped taking care of himself. His face, once brindle, turned white seemingly over night. When a new puppy was introduced, he wanted nothing to do with this new dog and went out of his way to ignore and not see the puppy... the boy who normally loved puppies of all kind and gladly played with my own then-puppy Deebs the first time he met her. Sometimes, even now, he will dash inside from playing, run up to the room that she used to bask in the sun and stand at the door before wandering away... no one else uses that room. It's a spare.

Three easy, simple examples of two different dogs. You can't tell me that dogs haven't any feelings, especially after watching my sweet greyhound boy waste away because his bossy girl was gone. I completely agree with what everyone has said... there is NO way anyone could live with a dog and believe they didn't have emotions and very real feelings. I witness these every single day with my dogs and can't imagine how someone could miss the constant evidence.

bam, end novella!
(I'm in a long winded kinda mood!)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I haven't read the article but I know in my heart dogs, cats all of them have emotions, on some level. Maybe not as complex as ours, but emotions nontheless.

Every dog I have ever had has slept with me (except for 2 that didn't WANT to). When I was in college I had a Butch lookalike; a little smaller. Anyway, I had a male guest spend the night which meant no sleeping with momma. When I went out to her pillow the next morning, she looked at me, got up and very deliberately turned around an layed down with her back to me. If that wasn't one pissed of dog, I don't know what is!

Joy, sadness, anger, fear, intimidation, are all emotions that animals feel. But there are so many more...probably lots we as the "superior creature" have not clue about because most animals lack the filter that humans have developed over the years.

That's my take on it all!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts