Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of guess what breed Spirit is. The vet simply says "a lot of terrier" which is like calling a car a GM. Over the 1.5 yrs I've went from guessing Poodle to SCWT x. Then I saw near identical dog that was supposedly Chow, retriever, & terrier. Just a few weeks ago I met another identical dog (black & slightly smaller) which was a Schnoodle.

I give up. I've gone back and forth and will give up. Does anyone have recommendations or preferences for at home DNA test? Besides answering "What is she?" I'd like to know what breed specific health issues to look forward to as she ages.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The DNA tests are notorious for being inaccurate, I personally wouldn't spend money on it. I know people with purebred dogs who have tried it just for fun and to see if it works, and the results would come back as like a mix of 5 different dogs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I used Wisdom Panel for Lela and was VERY pleased with my results! It was only $49 and what a blast. Here's the thread I started about it: Lela's Doggy DNA Test- RESULTS!

Jen

Edited to add: DNA tests have come a long way recently. Wisdom Panel has three different tests- one for mixed breeds, one for "designer" dogs, and one to confirm if your dog is a purebred. That being said, I've heard many people having very... interesting, lol... results. Personally I would do this test again in a heartbeat! It was SO fun! :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I also used Wisdom Panel for Mercy and am really happy with the results. The breeds that they reported make complete sense both behaviorally and physically. Not only has it given me an answer to "What breed is your dog?" but it has also given her trainer and myself a better understanding of some of her specific issues, allowing us to formaulate a solid plan for dealing with them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hmm, I may have to check that test out then. My sister has a chihuahua from Mexico that for sure has something else in him, I have always wanted to know what.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
We did the Wisdom Panel insights test and I found the results...OK. 50% retrievers (makes sense), a smidge of Sheltie, but the other breeds make no sense. (Chinook? Kerry Blue Terrier? No.) That said, it was still fun and you never know.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I believe some tests only check for mixed or designer breeds. I think there is a more specific/expensive test to confirm purebreds.

I used BioPet. I was really expecting to get back some sort of ludricrous result. I was kinda disappointed when it showed exactly the mix that the shelter said she was. What fun is that?? =)~

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I used Wisdom Panel, which cost about $80, and got back ridiculous results. They said Buffy was 12%-25% Old English Sheepdog, Sheltie and Chow. Seeing as she's a 30-lb. shorthaired brindle dog, it seems pretty unlikely. That said, I complained to them and, after showing them a photo, they agreed with me and refunded my money. So, they have good customer service at least.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I used Wisdom Panel, which cost about $80, and got back ridiculous results. They said Buffy was 12%-25% Old English Sheepdog, Sheltie and Chow. Seeing as she's a 30-lb. shorthaired brindle dog, it seems pretty unlikely. That said, I complained to them and, after showing them a photo, they agreed with me and refunded my money. So, they have good customer service at least.
I'm curious. How long ago was this?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just got a Wisdom Panel kit. Paid $50 on ebay (can catch them for about as low as $40 at times, too). I figure for that little bit, it's worth it for laughs, if nothing else. We'll see!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I used Wisdom Panel and was happy with the results...they made sense:) It states right on there not to test pure breed dogs, so if someone did so they should have read the directions before they wasted their money.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I received a Wisdom Panel through work (there was a sale for vet offices) and did one on my late Grimm for funsies. The results were beyond ridiculous. He, a 16 lb, shaggy brown dog, who was nonshedding and resembled a Shih Tzu on stilts (funky dentition and all) came back as Dachshund, Pom and Large Munsterlander... Every Wisdom Panel we've sent out for clients at work has come back absurd..amongst others, a 60 lb Pointer looking mix who came back as Puli and French Bulldog, and a coworker's dog, a mid sized, pointy nosed generic brown dog, came back as Chow and Bullmastiff...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts