Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I mailed Ida's sample for the Embark DNA test. I am very excited to get the results back - not just her breed mix, but also the genotype that's resulted in her coat (which I love and is my ideal), and also any disease markers that she might have. She was picked up as a stray, so I have absolutely zero knowledge about her background.

Ida is 25 lbs, ~18" at the shoulder and slightly longer than she is tall. She has a long neck, long tail, prick ears, a pink nose, DARK brown eyes, and is cream with white markings, or maybe white with cream-coloured patches.

She loves people, loves balls, loves chasing things, is moderate drive, quite biddable, and very soft. She has a huge range of vocalizations ranging from excited yips to low coos to incredibly loud demand barks.

Anyway, on to the photos!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Based on your signature picture (which is the only pictures I see) I'd guess American Eskimo mix.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
okay, now I'm seeing more pictures. I still say mainly Eskie, and agree maybe a dash of Sheltie or Border Collie.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
You can really see that her fur isn't spitz-y when you see her next to Snowball. Her fur actually looks like Finn's, he's a Rough Collie. So, yeah, maybe Sheltie.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can really see that her fur isn't spitz-y when you see her next to Snowball. Her fur actually looks like Finn's, he's a Rough Collie. So, yeah, maybe Sheltie.
It's so not spitzy! She is incredibly soft - much softer than any eskie I've ever encountered - and even though she has lots of "floof" and her hair is longer than Snowball's, she's not nearly as "poofy".

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
She is beautiful! I mailed my Embark kit in on Tuesday, just checked the tracking this morning and it is on its way! I am soooo excited to see what it says about my Belle. I should maybe start her a thread here too. I found it hard to tell if I got enough saliva on the applicator thingy as of course I couldn't touch it nor touch her mouth to see if she had much in there. She tried to bite it too but I don't think she did. I swabbed both cheek pouches so hopefully got enough. It says on the site though that most people don't think they got enough and they did so hopefully I did too. I won my kit, was sooo excited to win one. It says 6-8 weeks for the Embark results, a bit longer than the other DNA tests out there but I suppose it is because of the genetic testing. Did you fill in all the surverys they had on there, that was sort of interesting.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is beautiful! I mailed my Embark kit in on Tuesday, just checked the tracking this morning and it is on its way! I am soooo excited to see what it says about my Belle. I should maybe start her a thread here too. I found it hard to tell if I got enough saliva on the applicator thingy as of course I couldn't touch it nor touch her mouth to see if she had much in there. She tried to bite it too but I don't think she did. I swabbed both cheek pouches so hopefully got enough. It says on the site though that most people don't think they got enough and they did so hopefully I did too. I won my kit, was sooo excited to win one. It says 6-8 weeks for the Embark results, a bit longer than the other DNA tests out there but I suppose it is because of the genetic testing. Did you fill in all the surveys they had on there, that was sort of interesting.
Thank you! I think she's pretty darn cute myself, although she did go through some reeeeeally awkward puppy-uglies.

Yeah, I completed all of the surveys! We did the ones for Darwin's Dogs as well (and were among 10 lucky non-Americans to be accidentally sent DNA test kits when they sent out the first batch, but they haven't been genotyped yet.) I love doing surveys, I love genetics research, I love dogs - it just a win all around for me. :D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Thank you! I think she's pretty darn cute myself, although she did go through some reeeeeally awkward puppy-uglies.

Yeah, I completed all of the surveys! We did the ones for Darwin's Dogs as well (and were among 10 lucky non-Americans to be accidentally sent DNA test kits when they sent out the first batch, but they haven't been genotyped yet.) I love doing surveys, I love genetics research, I love dogs - it just a win all around for me. :D
I never heard of Darwins Dogs, found it and joined there too. What type of kits do they use and do you know if everyone gets a kit?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I'm still saying 3/4 eskie and 1/4th sheltie.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never heard of Darwins Dogs, found it and joined there too. What type of kits do they use and do you know if everyone gets a kit?
I don't know how they're doing their genetic analysis, but the swab they sent was identical to the one EMBARK uses. As far as I know, everyone who signs up gets a kit (at least everyone located within the continental US), but I can't speak to how long it takes to get one.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still saying 3/4 eskie and 1/4th sheltie.
The only thing that makes me hesitate about sheltie is I'm not sure if shelties carry ee red. That and she seems to act a lot more like the BCs that I've met than the shelties that I've met.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
That's why I put 3/4th eskie. :p.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Definitely see the collie, but she's small for a samo mix! That's a bit odd. Gorgeous either way!
I was really surprised at the sammy too - I was 99% confident that she was an american eskimo X BC mix. But, female Samyoeds can be as small as 19" and 37 lbs within the standard which wouldn't be that far off, considering how little bone Ida has (she is around 18-19" at the shoulder and is pretty fine boned). But she did test as homozygous for two of the give "small size" alleles; I'm guessing those are from the the cocker, maybe the border collie too (since the small ones are close to Ida-sized).

I also became aware recently of a "breeder a few hours away from me who has been selling "samoyed" puppies on craigslist. I've been in contact with someone local to me who got a puppy from them - it was one of those cases where they felt like the conditions were terrible so they "rescued" the puppy.... and their dog is a spitting image of Ida, although a bit bigger (just over 30 lbs at a year old). If she's actually from a really terrible "breeder" (I'm using the term very, very loosely) it might explain why there is mostly samoyed on both sides and why her COI is so high (21%!).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts