Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is so very GSD in everything she does. I don't think she is pure. Well she could be I don't know. She is a rescue. I have been thinking of doing the DNA test. They seem kind of fun. I have one friend that did it and results did make a bit of sense. She is happy she did it.

You can get the test for $65 on amazon. If done right with little contamination results can be good.

If you have done the DNA test I would love a to see a photo of your dog and tell us what the test said it was. Was the test worth it?

My dog Cookie who I want to do the test on. My guess is mom is pure GSD dad might be German shepherd husky mix. Cookie story is. She was owned by a lady that got her as a pup. When cookie came Down with Parvo the owner contacted A GSD rescue telling them she "found" cookie and she was sick. Once the pup recovered the lady wanted it back. The rescuer said no we will find her a new home.That new home was mine. Here is cookie my parvo survivor.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not only do I think that Cookie is a beautiful dog, but I also have DNA test experience! :)

I did the Wisdom panel on Mercy and she came back as 1/4 Akita, 1/4 JRT, 1/8 Border Collie and a bunch of other stuff they couldn't identify. The results definitely make sense, both with respect to her appearance and her personality.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think most mutts have many other breeds in them. So I don't think it is crazy to have you dogs DNA to come back with many breeds.

Thanks guys and thanks for sharing the photos.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I found the wisdom test for $55 I bought it. I can't wait to see what it says. I'm a crazy dog nerd and I think it will be fun.

·
Registered
66 Posts
our rescue does the Wisdom panel for around 40.00. From some of the mixed dogs we've done at the rescue..i'm not sure how much I trust it..
This dog is supposed to be -DNA results - Chihuahua, English Sheepdog, miniature poodle.. i can believe the chi and poodle..he's around 10lbs

And this puppy is supposed to be Pom/Soft Coated Wheaton/and Labrador this puppy was around 15-20lbs at around 8-9 wks old

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fist poodle thing has the colors of a sheep dog. The DNA test go by % of breeds in the dog. The sheepdog breed might have been a small % but traceable. It dose no seem that far off.

The black dog makes sence. A Pom is small and a wheaten is medium small. So these to could breed. The pups of that mix your be in the 25lb range I think. A male of that mix could mate with a small lab female. The black pup looks like that mix.

I can't wait to see what mine comes back as. Her personality and looks are very GSD with some husky. There might be another dog in the mix we will see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought about it myself.... I just wanna know! Kinda like a adopted person, they just have that desire to know where they came from. We all wanna be able to lay claim on something, why would we deny that to our dogs right? Let us know how your sweet friends test turns out!
R

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I got results

She is GSD, Shetland sheep dog, chow, and mix.

The mix breeds in her could be made up of these dogs.
18.11% glen of imaal terrier
6.26% shiba inu
4.20% standard poodle
3.84% chinook
3.17% am staff

The 3 main breeds that do make my dogs DNA honestly make sense to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts