Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Yeah not seeing most of these. Although I have to say if I saw Squash/Shambles/and the others, I would have never guessed husky for them either and we know they're half husky.

I do think it's hilarious how all the black and white dogs regardless of what they looked like were guessed to be border collies.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wow, that is amazing. I'm no expert but I can tell some of those are not what the survey says. :) Thanks for sharing the link. Goes to show that some people (maybe a lot) can't tell a dog by looking, however I suggest putting something in the photo for size comparison.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Wow. Some of those breed guesses were hilarious as the dog looked nothing like what they were saying! And how some people came up with some breeds that didn't even resemble the breed is unbelievable. I wonder if these are shelter workers, the ones near us have no clue as to what some breeds are.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Some were pretty funny... I can just see the designer names rolling in.

"For Dog 1, we crossed our top Toy Fox Harrier bitch with our CH Chinese Shepherd stud, and we're extremely pleased with the results."

EDIT: Dog 20? definitely at least a fourth cane corso. (though realistically its hard to tell with a puppy, but it still makes me laugh.

·
Banned
126 Posts
ahhh Doggie DNA testing...the gypsy magicball of fake science.
I would love to see the accuracy of Dog DNA testing when sending in a purebred AKC dog (nazi-esque bloodline) and see what results come back.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Thanks for posting this - very interesting! I'd love to see what Maddie actually is - several have guessed westiepoo, westie/schnauzer, westie/bichon. Wouldn't it be a riot if there's no westie in her at all? She's definitely got a terrier personality!!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Hmmm, lots of rare breeds popping up in the dna results, I have been skeptical of dna tests for a while. I would be inclined to believe random guesses over some of these...Puli? Dandy Dinmont? Swedish Valhund?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
First of all I can't take this seriously, they don't even spell weimaraner correctly.

Hmm, isn't dog number 4 a Pyrenean Shepherd? or at least it really closely resembles one. I am not sure any of those breeds went into making a Pyr shep, would have to look.

The only ones that seem plausible to me are, and I am going by the DNA results part, not the survey.

Dog 6
Dog 9
maybe dog 11
Dog 12 if going by the first two breeds
Dog 14
Dog 15
Dog 23 only the Am staff part
Dog 24 but only the chihuahua part
Dog 29 maybe
Dog 30 somewhat, but just the first two breeds
Dog 37
Dog 42 but just the first two breeds
Dog 44
Maybe dog 46
Dog 49 but out of standard
Dog 52 but just the cattle dog part lol
Dog 59 and 60
I can see the dobe in 61
just the first two breeds on dog 67
Dog 84, but I would say there is more lab than weim
95 and 96 and 97 I can see somewhat
maybe 104
106 but only the dachshund part

I do have to say, I hope the owner's of dog 40 did not pay for that groom job.

Also dog 81, dogue de bordeaux really?

And what is up with all the weimaraner percentages. I can say there is no weim is dog 93.

Most of them are complete baloney, and even the ones I said are plausible there are breeds that would not be in that dog.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Some of those are totally believable. Some of them are. . .LOL.

I believe the top breeds on Toby's, Penny's, and Shug's DNA results. Maybe not the peripheral breeds, but the top breeds are what I guessed. Miracle's results, though, were crazy. I should send hers to that website :p.

I just sent in a kit on a friend's dog who is supposedly a known Lab/Springer mix. We'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Of course, we can say it's nonsense (because you know that anyone else seeing the pumpkin pie puppies' results would be saying "no way he's half Husky!"), but who knows? I knew a dog who was definitely a Pom/Westie mix. The Pom was his mother, so no doubt there. He looked just like a Cairn ("no way he's half Pom!", says the peanut gallery). Genes are funny things.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm, lots of rare breeds popping up in the dna results, I have been skeptical of dna tests for a while. I would be inclined to believe random guesses over some of these...Puli? Dandy Dinmont? Swedish Valhund?
I would add Irish Water Spaniel to that list.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
One of Toby's breeds was Afghan Hound. I just don't really think there are a lot of stray Afghans running around the greater Omaha area :p. But at least I can call him a Golden ChowHound because of it. . .:D

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
ahhh Doggie DNA testing...the gypsy magicball of fake science.
I would love to see the accuracy of Dog DNA testing when sending in a purebred AKC dog (nazi-esque bloodline) and see what results come back.
Geez, you could have said "purebred AKC dog" without throwing in a Nazi crack. With this plus your "joke" about Americans believing only in creationism and not evolution and your attempt to rile people up by claiming you saw no issue with your parents adopting a coyote pup as a pet, you've really been turning me off reading your posts... and that's disappointing, because I love your photography.

I don't think that very many of these results are accurate, just because the breeds they came out as are so rare. I laughed at the guesses, too... especially Alaskan Klee Kai for that big fat husky.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I would add Irish Water Spaniel to that list.
More than that too

Harrier
Anatolian Shepherd
Afghan Hound
Sealyham Terrier
German Wirehaired Pointer, not as common as its Shorthaired version.
Irish Wolfhound
Flat Coated Retriever
Manchester Terrier
Keeshond
Entlebucher Mt Dog
Dogo Argentino, although I guess that would depend on what part of the US
Borzoi
Tibetan Mastiff
Irish Terrier
Scottish Deerhound
Dogue De Bordeaux
Welsh Terrier
Neapolitan Mastiff
Lancashire Heeler
Old English Sheepdog
Schipperke
Beauceron
Australian Terrier
Lowchen
Field Spaniel
American Foxhound, only one of those dogs resembles this breed, and this breed is like at the bottom of AKCs records, I know maybe two kennels in the US, never see any other kennel names but them.
Miniature Bull Terrier
Komondor, yeah I am sure dog 85 has that breed in it
Glen of Imaal terrier
Black Russian Terrier
Norwegian Buhund
Jindo
Ibizan Hound
Small Munsterlander

and probably more. Do you think they pulled these breeds out of a hat, and made up percentages? lol

And at least they could have spelled some of the breeds right.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Some of those I could buy showing up in mixes (maybe not those mixes). Anatolians aren't all that uncommon depending on where you live and what the typical LGD is in the area. And I don't know about most places but I see quite a few OES around here. I know 4 off the top of my head.

I also saw a (badly bred) schipperke yesterday downtown.

As far as foxhounds and the AKC goes it was my understanding that most foxhounds are not AKC registered. It's hard to judge a lot of working breeds by AKC numbers because so many people don't register their dogs.

I do agree though that most those breed guesses are ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts