Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently adopted a chihuahua mix a couple of months ago. i also have another mixed terrier mutt that's been with me for 12 years. between my two mutts, i've been getting more and more curious as to what their heritage was. finally decided to fork up the bucks for some dna testing. really forked up the bucks, because i decided to get both of them tested with two different companies to see if the results would be similar. they were somewhat similar, but the more accurate results [in my opinion, just looking at the traits of my dogs] were from the company with the larger purebred database. to be expected, i guess. anyhow it was a lot of fun getting the results, so i thought i'd share:

DSC00015.jpg
Harvey shows to be a 50/50 of chihuahua and poodle. Definitely could see the chihuahua, but the poodle was a nice surprise.

IMG_0064.jpg
Maddie's DNA is 50% mutt dna [so mixed, can't be determined] with the other 50% being a mix of shih tzu and soft coated wheaten terrier. i definitely knew she had terrier in her, but very cool to find out she's part Irish! St Pattie's day will have an all new meaning now ;)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Harvey actually looks to have Jack Russell or even patterdale terrier in him (head is definitely terrier like). I know people like those breed tests, but you really have to take the results of most of those tests with a grain of salt, most are really inaccurate.

Nice that you know now what could be in your dogs and you can somewhat get an idea of behaviors to look out for.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Harvey actually looks to have Jack Russell or even patterdale terrier in him (head is definitely terrier like). I know people like those breed tests, but you really have to take the results of most of those tests with a grain of salt, most are really inaccurate.

Nice that you know now what could be in your dogs and you can somewhat get an idea of behaviors to look out for.
Agreed. I can always remember wanting to do them, but never did, and finally realized how inaccurate they are. My mutts is mutts.

·
Registered
905 Posts
There was a sale from the company that makes the Wisdom Professional tests and they were available to vet clinics for a really low price (less than a bag of food) so I did one for funsies, fully prepared to get ridiculous results.

I was not disappointed. :)

Meet my "Dachshund mix X Pomeranian mix" with a dash of Large Munsterlander...yes....Large Musterlander

·
Super Moderator
7,277 Posts
I once met a man at the dog park with a really obvious Husky/Corgie cross. The man insisted his dog was half Pug, because a DNA test told him so, lol.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Shug's, Penny's, and Toby's results all came back with somewhat believeable results (showing Toby to be mostly GSD, Penny to be mostly Husky, and Shug to be mainly Aussie and Springer), but Miracle's came back with some really odd results. She looks like a small skinny black Lab, or maybe a Whippet mix. Very slim-built like a sighthound, very thin single coat, about 30 pounds. Her results had Rott, Newfie, Collie, Great Pyrenees, and Beagle. I could maybe see a little Beagle, just a teeny bit. But the other breeds were just ridiculous!

But I would believe Chi/Poodle for Harvey. Don't know about Wheaten for Maddie, but I could see some Shih Tzu. Did both of the tests come back with the exact same results?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I did Bella's DNA a few years back (just for grins)....it told me she is Lab/GSD mix - exactly what the shelter told me she was. Although it said she had a touch of Weimeraner, too. I personally think it may actually be Rhodesian Ridgeback....she looks a lot like one, especially when her hackles are up! LOL

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It's nice that you got results that seem to make sense. Like many others in this thread, my mutt's were pretty ridiculous:
less than 25% of Old English Sheepdog, Chow & Sheltie (from Wisdom Panel cheek swab). Buffy is about 16", 30 lbs. and somewhat muscular.

When I complained, they asked me for a photo so that they could explain the results to me. Once they received the photo, they didn't even try and just refunded my money.

I would like to try the other popular one, which is much cheaper, for fun. I forget the name of it though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But I would believe Chi/Poodle for Harvey. Don't know about Wheaten for Maddie, but I could see some Shih Tzu. Did both of the tests come back with the exact same results?

The second test I did with the other company didn't have wheaten on their list of breeds, so it showed Maddie as part shih tzu and part Irish Terrier. It was in the same family at least. The second test for Harvey showed no chihuahua, but did show a large poodle influence. So not exactly the same, but similar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts