Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DNA kit ordered (RESULTS ARE IN..SEE LAST POST)

I just purchased a DNA kit to test Bentley. I will post the results when I get them. But until then, any guesses?

I was told "through the grapevine" when I got him, that he was a Chihuahua/Miniature Pinscher mix (hence the screen name lol). I see some Chihuahua, but definitely not min pin.

MOST people guess pug/beagle mix. And while I agree that he looks "puggleish" (HA!), he is a lot smaller than all the other puggles I've met. So MY best guess would be pug/beagle/chihuahua mix. I'm really curious to see what the test shows

·
Registered
126 Posts
Definitely see pug/beagle. But I don't see chi...

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I could buy pug/beagle/chi. Btw, I totally thought your name was supposed to read "chip-in-mom," LOL

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
He looks almost exactly like my neighbor's dog Jack. Jack is a Puggle and besides the white on your pooch, looks exactly like him. So I'm going to say Beagle/Pug mix here. I see no Chi whatsoever.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I can see pug/beagle/chi

But I bet the results from the DNA test come back with pug, beagle, chi, and newfie (or something else outlandish)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Results are back!

Bentley:
Level 2: Pekingese
Level 4: Chihuahua
Level 4: Miniature Pinscher

No pug OR beagle. I'm surprised. And he actually does have Miniature Pinscher in him which really surprises me. I never EVER would have guessed Pekingese though!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I never EVER would have guessed Pekingese though!
Coat length is always a game changer for our eyes. Its easy to not even think of the long-coated breeds when guessing ancestry on a short coated dog. The long coat of the Pekingese is recessive to short coat (or short coat is dominant - whichever way you want to think of it). All of the pups from a short coated breed bred to a Pekingese will have short coats themselves (some will show some minor flarings though).

I have an affection for solid bone and body on small dogs. I love his 'splash' of white markings. He is a gorgeous boy.

SOB

·
Registered
232 Posts
That`s funny! I was going to say Peke or Pug mix LOL

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Btw, I totally thought your name was supposed to read "chip-in-mom," LOL
ME TOO. so weird, i've been saying it wrong in my head for months haha.

and he is too cute! i want to do a test on toby so bad but im 99% sure it would come back as "mixed breed, mixed breed, mixed breed, mixed breed' haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Results are back!

Bentley:
Level 2: Pekingese
Level 4: Chihuahua
Level 4: Miniature Pinscher

No pug OR beagle. I'm surprised. And he actually does have Miniature Pinscher in him which really surprises me. I never EVER would have guessed Pekingese though!
I want to get my dog Bandit DNA-tested too. I've been asked what kind of dog he is so many times in the 4 weeks since I adopted him that I now want to be armed with an answer. The folks at the rescue described him as a pug-mix, but we have no idea what the mix is or even he's even part pug. People have guess everything from beagle to chihuahua to pekingese. I've heard that not all DNA kits are designed to test for all breeds. What DNA kit did you use?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Re: Results are back!

Does anyone know how accurate or reliable these tests are? I'm interested to do them on my 2 rescues!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts