Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a 7 month old doberman mix. We are doing well with crating and peeing. However, he consistently takes forever to get around to pooping. I mean we've been out for over an hour before, he'll get so close as squatting but gets distracted by everything. And I know he has to go. We can go back inside and catch him going to squat, get him outside and it's another 20 min ordeal. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been watching a youtuber who runs a training kennel and his recommendation was basically... "Schedule pooping time before exercise time, they want to go before they have to run around, just like you would. Plus them knowing something fun is waiting on them to go helps cut down on the wait." You can map a word for when they go and reward them, and then use it to encourage them once it's solidly mapped.

Also they become attached to certain textures and in my experience the property line. Mine really likes to poo in the pachysandras (though she is broadening her defecation horizons).

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I would have my dog on leash and take him out for 5-10 minutes, giving him the cue to poop and making sure things are super boring. I'd walk around a little bit but in a small area, repetitively. If the dog goes, leash comes off and out come the treats and 5 minutes of playtime. If the dog does not go, back into the house and into a crate/pen/restrictive area so he does not soil the house.

Basically, pooping fast = fun times ahead
not pooping = boring and no rewards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts