Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice in house training our puppy, Jackson. Jackson is a miniature Aussie, and 8 weeks old.

To set the scene, we live in house with a shared yard. Our neighbour's dogs, Jackson's mother and father, have a doggy door and go in and out as they please.

We have been trying to house train Jackson, and it was going really well for the first week. Unfortunately, every time we take Jackson outside, his mother comes so see him. This results in him chasing her instinctively for milk, even though she isn't producing any more, and her trying to play. This wasn't a problem in the first week, because Jenny (his mother) would play for a couple minutes then run away. Now they'll stay out and play for half an hour or more. Jackson usually forgets what he is outside to do, and if he does try to go, she either tries to clean up for him while he is going, or continues trying to play. He ultimately gets distracted and doesn't finish what he's doing. He's started having more accidents inside the house.

Unfortunately because Jenny isn't our dog, there isn't much we can do about her involvement. We can't keep her inside or tie her up. Once Jackson starts to go, we try to hold her back. But if we hold her in place before he starts his business, he just comes after her.

I'm finding it really difficult to separate them so he can focus. I've been trying to sneak him out without her noticing he is there, and sometimes it works, but often it doesn't.

Does anyone have any advice that might help us out? I know Jackson is little and it will take time, but the distraction isn't helping. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Unfortunately it's a farm and there isn't really a distinct front or back yard where I can separate them. I tried taking him out on the leash just now, and knew he needed to go to the bathroom because he'd eaten and drank and then fallen asleep for two hours before going out. So, I took him out on the leash and he peed, but then Jenny showed up and he didn't finish what he was there to do. I gave him a treat as soon as he peed, and when he started getting distracted I brought him inside for 5 minutes. When I took him back out on the leash she had gone inside, so we walked around for 5 minutes until he finished his business. So I gave him another treat and we finished our walk to come in. I can keep doing that over and over again until she gives up and goes inside, but she likes to sleep on our porch so that could take a long time.

I don't know if there's much else I can do. Is there a way I can train her without tying her up? I know it's instinctive.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
How about putting an x-pen outside and putting him that when it's potty time? He might get a bit distracted, but will be left alone enough to finish his business.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts