Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old Great Dane who had 3 UTIs in a row last spring, and has been deemed prone to them by my vet as a result. She consistently has crystals, and frequently a high white cell count, on routine urinalysis, even without active infection. In December, she had a lot of crystals, so the vet had me begin wetting her food. Incidentally, she is eating 3 cups 2x/day of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken, plus about 2 tablespoons of flax seed oil. In the past few weeks, she has suddenly developed incontinence, which worsened drastically on Thursday and Friday of last week. Admittedly, I did not realize until last week that the problem was incontinence, because she's also quite the drooler, and I assumed the wet spots when she just got up were just drool (a Great Dane hazard :wink:). At any rate, I made a vet appointment for her on Friday, which unfortunately had to be canceled at the last minute when the vet went home with a migraine. We did go ahead and do a urinalysis, so that the vet could see the results on Saturday from home, and it still showed high crystals, but no active infection. However, given her history and current condition, the vet recommended trying a round of antibiotics first, in the hopes that it was the beginnings of an infection and basically as a last-ditch effort before putting her on a lifelong medication for incontinence. In a prior conversation, she also asked about the mineral content of my water, and recommended trying distilled water for Ella. I live in a condo built in 1926, with original plumbing, and on city water--because of the age of our pipes, I suspect that the water does have a high mineral content by the time we drink it. I intend to get a kit to test it later today, but I have been giving her only distilled water since Friday evening.

So, here's my question for you all. . . how quickly would distilled water create improvement in a dog getting crystals because of hard water? Because the vet did not prescribe antibiotics until late yesterday, so I have not actually started her on them yet, but I have already seen a drastic reduction in the incontinence problem-as in it is probably 95% resolved. I have a vet appointment on Monday, and will obviously review with them, but I'm curious if this could be the whole problem.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I don't know, becuase my mom's dog that had crystals, had surgery to remove them, then went on distilled water, low calcium food, and a cranberry capsule. But it the crystals never came back.

There is a food out there that has Blueberry, that is supposedly good for bladder issues you might look into. Search the food/health forums for "blueberry".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts