Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would greatly value any feedback regarding experiences with canine distemper. We adopted an year-old male Pomeranian that seemed to be the picture of health, smart, and quickly bonded with the family. After one week he was diagnosed with a lung infection that has now been correctly labeled as distemper. He is receiving care from the vet, but seems weaker.
What I need to know is whether we continue the fight and any stories you might have to assist us through this horrible time. The little guy is part of our family and we want to do whatever it takes to bring him back home... but the vet gives us a 60% chance of survival.
thank you in advance...

·
Registered
643 Posts
My big guy in my sig is a distemper survivor. He was put on antibiotics, and we basically just babied him at home and hoped for the best. We had to syringe feed him for 2-3 days, but that was the worst of it. He did develop a neurological tick. He does the "gum chewing" with his jaw. Not all of them make it through this, but the fact that the dog is a year old makes it more likely that he'll make it. Good luck with whatever you decide with him; neither choice will be easy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts