Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a pure breed Husky puppy a few weeks ago.. He's 3.5 months old now. At first, he knew nothing! Since he came home, he has learned quite a few things.

He will always go to the bathroom outside EXCEPT when he is in his crate! I believe I understand why .. before I got him, he was kept in a crate all day, and this is where he used the bathroom. So I assume that he assumes that it is okay to relieve himself in a crate.. I have gotten him to understand I am unhappy when he goes inside the house and very happy when he goes outside. I do not keep him in his crate often at all. All day he is with me pretty much. I used to put him in the crate at night time but he would howl the whole night (Yes, I know.. I was suppose to ignore him, Sorry!) so now I let him sleep on my bedroom floor. Now.. when he sleeps in my room, he will not use the bathroom at night and will wait till I take him outside when I wake up. But if he is in his crate, he goes to the bathroom. Even though I don't put him in there much at all, when nobody is home he has to be there, so what can I do to get him to lose the habit of going in his crate?

Also, what can I do to have him act more obediently in general? If I am having a little training session with him, and he sees I have treats, he will do what I tell him like a little angel.. but once we are somewhere else, he will do as he pleases and completely ignore me! I get very worried about this. Huskies grow to be quite large and strong.. If I don't teach him to listen to me now, he will be dragging me everywhere! Lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
First Off, Congrats On Your New Puppy And I'd Love To See Pics! Huskies Are Gorgeous.

I Have No Real Advice For You Concerning The Potty Issue, I'm Sorry. I Hope Someone Else Can Shed Some Light In That Area.

Also, what can I do to have him act more obediently in general? If I am having a little training session with him, and he sees I have treats, he will do what I tell him like a little angel.. but once we are somewhere else, he will do as he pleases and completely ignore me! I get very worried about this. Huskies grow to be quite large and strong.. If I don't teach him to listen to me now, he will be dragging me everywhere! Lol.

However, This Sounds Exactly Like My Pom Pup! He Is Very Obedient INDOORS (Even When I Do Not Have Treats) But When He Is Outside (And Busy Sniffing) He Ignores Me As If I Am Not There. I Am Hoping And Assuming That It Is Just Because I Haven't Had Him Long And If I Continue Training Indoors And Slowly Take It Outdoors, The Problems Will Clear Up.

Anyway, Sorry For Babbling. I Hope You Get Better Advice! :)

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
So I got a pure breed Husky puppy a few weeks ago.. He's 3.5 months old now. At first, he knew nothing! Since he came home, he has learned quite a few things.

He will always go to the bathroom outside EXCEPT when he is in his crate! I believe I understand why .. before I got him, he was kept in a crate all day, and this is where he used the bathroom. So I assume that he assumes that it is okay to relieve himself in a crate.. I have gotten him to understand I am unhappy when he goes inside the house and very happy when he goes outside. I do not keep him in his crate often at all. All day he is with me pretty much. I used to put him in the crate at night time but he would howl the whole night (Yes, I know.. I was suppose to ignore him, Sorry!) so now I let him sleep on my bedroom floor. Now.. when he sleeps in my room, he will not use the bathroom at night and will wait till I take him outside when I wake up. But if he is in his crate, he goes to the bathroom. Even though I don't put him in there much at all, when nobody is home he has to be there, so what can I do to get him to lose the habit of going in his crate?

I have ideas how you can deal with the crate potty problem, but I don't have direct experience with it so I'm sure someone will come along to help you with that. I can, however, answer the last question.

Dogs don't generalize the things they learn well. For instance, if you typically train "sit" in the bedroom, the dog will learn that sit means only in the bedroom. It won't know he has to sit in the hallway, in the living room, outside, etc etc.

The best way to deal with this is to teach the puppy what you want in a low distraction environment. So for instance, teach the puppy to sit wherever you normally train him. Once he can do it reliably, go to a different room to train it. Then go to your backyard. Then your front yard. Maybe take him to a pet store and do it in front of the store. And so on. Eventually he will generalize it to everywhere. Some dogs generalize better or faster than others. So it might be instant, it might take a while.

As for leash pulling,

http://www.dogforums.com/3-dog-training-forum/4547-loose-leash-walking-using.html

That's an excellent resource. The earlier you start, the better! Loose leash walking is a slow and frustrating training process for most of us. Unlike most of dog training, you're fighting the dog's nature to just go ahead with loose leash walking. So take it slow, don't expect the puppy to get it in a month. It can take several months, it can take two weeks, there's no telling. Just work on it slowly and steadily.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You will have to get rid of the crate. This is a common problem for dogs that lived most of their lives in one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will have to get rid of the crate. This is a common problem for dogs that lived most of their lives in one.
That is what I figured, that it was already programmed into his brain that it's acceptable to urinate in a crate. I was just wondering if there was anyway I could get him to lose the habit because EVERY TIME he is in his crate, he will relieve himself and I don't trust him running free in my house when I'm not home so sometimes I have no choice but to put him there. :(

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
That is what I figured, that it was already programmed into his brain that it's acceptable to urinate in a crate. I was just wondering if there was anyway I could get him to lose the habit because EVERY TIME he is in his crate, he will relieve himself and I don't trust him running free in my house when I'm not home so sometimes I have no choice but to put him there. :(
Maybe you can set up some kind of play area that's puppy proofed. Like the laundry room, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You can use baby gates in the laundry room, bathroom, or even an x-pen in the kitchen. Be sure to puppy proof those areas first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts