Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is partially about dogs...

Well I went to our local chain pet store tonight, because it's the only pet store in Fairbanks..and I hate them with a fiery passion.

Well everything actually has been looking okay for the past few months, yes the reptiles are still kept on the wrong substrates and some of the wrong temps, but most looked healthy and fat...well....not tonight..

I was looking at one of their Fat tailed geckos and noticed something was definitely wrong..he was an adult and thin as a pencil, and his entire jaw was swollen up and closed shut with mucus so he couldn't open his mouth to eat, or drink..So he was basically..starving to death. I told the manager about it and they were like awww poor guy, but there's nothing we can do about it.
He probably had mouth rot, and there is not much that can be done once it's that bad, except putting the animal out of its misery.

Well before I left I offered to adopt him and have him put to sleep, and you know what she said....

She was like, "No, we only put animals to sleep when they are in pain or suffering." And I was like, letting an animal starve to death is not suffering!?!

And she just walked away..

But you could bet, if that was a dog, and someone complained about the dog STARVING to death, they would have done something. But it makes you wonder..what if it was a dog?

How are there so many people like that still in this world who really have no compassion for species below them?

It makes me sad, but maybe just because I believe every animal life is important, even reptiles, heck, I even try to keep my crickets "happy" even though they are going to die anyways.

·
Registered
640 Posts
:( That is sad. I know what you mean about keeping creatures "happy" even if they're going to feed another creature. I'm not a vegetarian, but it's VERY important to me that any chicken or beef that I consume lived humanely, and died humanely (i.e. free range, grass fed beef, etc.). It makes me mad when someone thinks it's "JUST" a (fill in the blank). If they have a brain and a nervous system, they can suffer and it's their caretaker's responsibility that they don't allow them to suffer!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know how you all feel I am the same way I dont even like to kill bugs if there is no need or no harm I will take them outside to go away unless its a black widow or something harmful but even then I try to just get it over if I HAVE to do it. I have a lizard she eats worms and I feed them to her but I do not make them eve suffer. Its really sad that people can not see that every living thing on earth can suffer pain....

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want to go back their in case the little guy is still there, I think i'd raise some...h-e-double hockey sticks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
call your local animal control in that town, it depends on where you are who has to deal with a sick petshop animal. If its a corperate store (petcos/petsmarts, etc) call their corperation. I work for a petco and I've seen some managers slide on animals because they are "too busy" or "I'll deal with it later". Now this has never happened in my store because I raise heck, I don't tollerate animals suffering. I've called corporate on one occasion about a store the next town over. If you see one animal suffering there are probably a lot more... The gm of that other petco was fired, most corporations DO care, its just hard for them to keep up with health. Thats why I personally feel big stores like that, and most stores, should not be allowed to sell pets. There just isn't time to take care of all those animals properly.

·
Registered
643 Posts
And that's one of the many reasons I no longer work at petsmart. True animal lovers can't do it. Well, maybe educated animal lovers. That poor little gecko. THat's how I got one of mine. No mouth rot, but super skinny. Poor little guy.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
E-mail the chain's headquarters. All the chains have strict policies concerning vet care, and once a customer makes a stink, they HAVE to look into it. In that respect, at least, they're better than the mom-n-pop stores.

On that note, a couple weeks ago I was at the exotic vet, and a girl from PetCo brought in a sick lizard. I was impressed.....sadly.....that should be expected. But I didn't think they did that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts