Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thank you for all of the updates. I can't even imagine how scary it must be for you guys right now. We have had the blue algae scare around here, with 2 dogs succumbing to the toxins a state over. Blue algae is easily avoidable if you are aware of it by avoiding water/keeping the dogs on leash around water, and that alone has had me on edge when hiking even taking proper precautions.

I'd be a nervous wreck if I were you. It's obvious you aren't making any decisions lightly and that you are handling everything well, and I'm sure your dogs will be fine! Fingers crossed that they figure this out ASAP! My heart goes out to the people who have lost their dogs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not sure if something like this was mention already, but this is what is happening around here:

Fatal Algae

Locally, pigs ears sold at Pet Supply Plus have been found with salmonella and recalled in the last couple weeks. Just some extra food for thought.
I hope you guys in Norway can find an answer.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Algae toxicity and salmonella have been ruled out already between the autopsies and surveys. Unfortunately most of the easily tested for/common causes of bloody diarrhea and intestinal inflammation have. But thank you for the thought, Tater, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, an update, but not the one we really wanted.

They've declared the outbreak event over. Dogs are still trickling in with symptoms, but not in the high numbers of early days. Between that and the determination that this is not very contagious - or not contagious at all - between dogs, they've lifted the recommendations to restrict contact between strange dogs, avoid dog-trafficked areas, etc. Now it's basically common sense advice - don't take your dog to shows/events/etc. if they're sick, pick up poop (HAH I wish people did that around here), and seek help if your dog appears ill.

As for the disease itself... research is ongoing. They're pretty sure that this is a multi-factor infection at this point. Based on the strains of bacteria they've looked at so far, it appears that not all dogs were even infected from the same source, so the 'outbreak' might actually be multiple events. They're still analyzing results, but it sounds like all the testing they have to do now takes a significant amount of time, so I don't expect to hear anything soon. Possibly at all.

I really wanted them to find an answer. This is frustrating and worrying - I can only imagine it's a thousand times worse for people whose dogs were affected. Even though new infections are slowing down, there's still 43 dogs dead from mystery severe bloody diarrhea (at least - there's a chance there's a few cases that never made it to a vet/never got reported). Our dogs, our in-laws' dogs, and all the local dogs we know are fine thank goodness, but this is a very unsatisfying conclusion (though I'll try to update if we ever do hear more conclusive results). Can't blame the investigators, I'm sure they're just as disappointed to not have clear answers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I heard about this quite a bit over here! Lots of articles about it on anything dog related. So sorry you're going through this, my anxiety would be through the roof!!

I do wonder since it just popped up so suddenly.. if time of the year may have something to do with it? Like maybe some kind of poisonous plant/mushroom grew in larger numbers this summer? Could explain why not all dogs in one house get it considering not all dogs will just munch on plants. Sorry if that possibility was already ruled out. As I said, soo many articles about this online, hard to keep up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I do wonder since it just popped up so suddenly.. if time of the year may have something to do with it? Like maybe some kind of poisonous plant/mushroom grew in larger numbers this summer? Could explain why not all dogs in one house get it considering not all dogs will just munch on plants. Sorry if that possibility was already ruled out. As I said, soo many articles about this online, hard to keep up.
That's a good thought. Kind of like blackleg in cattle.

How scary, though. Especially for those that lost dogs but have no real idea how to keep their other dogs safe.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if something environmental was contributing. Doubt it's as simple as a plant or mushroom given the autopsies turned up nothing consistent in the gut, but maybe microbes of some kind. We had an unusually wet summer (and last year was extreme drought), so the timing there is interesting.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts