Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a question, just need somewhere to quietly freak out about this.

There's an unknown illness killing dogs in Norway - some in as little as 24 hours. Bloody diarrhea and sometimes vomiting, which gets worse very quickly. Most cases are in the Oslo area, so a bit north of us at the moment, but... it's a small country. The Norwegian Food Safety Authority is involved already, and the Norwegian Kennel Club is actually delaying or even canceling events and cautioning against contact between strange dogs. There's no clue yet what's causing it, but it's being treated as if it's a virus or bacteria and contagious, based on the number of cases and spread, I guess?

It's estimated twenty dogs have died so far. Yesterday it was seven.

So I'm a little freaked out, yeah. Good vibes appreciated, for us and for the whole dog owning community up here. I really hope they figure out what's up soon, and some kind of treatment/preventative follows shortly after...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Wow! How terrifying. I hope they figure it out quickly.

Were the dogs who died anywhere in the same vicinity? Swimming or anything? We've had a major issue over in the states with toxic algae that has been killing dogs.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the cases have been in the same region, but as far as we've been told there's no known connection between them re: location. The investigation's ongoing, of course, but we're only getting very bare-bones updates. It's being treated as an infectious agent for the moment, but no one's ruled out toxin or even some kind of food/treat contamination. There's some cases being reported in other parts of the country, but since we don't know what's causing it, there's no way to confirm that it's the same thing.

I considered algae too, but that's a neurotoxin and so far I haven't seen any reports mentioning neurological symptoms in any of the dogs affected.

Last I heard they were autopsying two or three of the fatalities today. Hope that gets some answers, or at least narrows down the possibilities, but we might not hear what the results are for a bit, knowing how involved testing and bacterial cultures and whatnot can be.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
How scary. The symptoms sound a lot like parvo.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
That's so scary! I hope they figure it out soon and I hope your pups stay safe.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parvo has come up in a lot of discussions I've seen about it. One person who worked the original parvo outbreaks of the seventies (supposedly, I mean this is the internet) said that this feels a lot like that.

There was a press conference yesterday. 190 cases across 70 clinics. Last I heard the death toll is still at 20 - hope it stays that way. They've ruled out salmonella and campylobacter, and there investigations so far show the dogs were eating a wide variety of different foods, so it doesn't seem to be some kind of food contamination (or at least not one restricted to a single brand/factory). They only have 7 dogs to autopsy which is a really small sample size, but still hoping they'll offer some answers soon. Sounds like the autopsies so far have all revealed serious damage in the small intestine.

Our local dog park has closed. Frodo's breeder has cancelled her group ringcraft classes. At least a couple of the local pet stores have stopped offering free nail trims and are encouraging people to leave their dogs at home. We actually cancelled the local group we put together for "passing training" (ie people with dogs with minor leash/reactivity issues get together to work with our dogs and go on a tandem walk). The NKK (Norwegian Kennel Club) has cancelled or postponed a LOT of events, particularly in Eastern Norway, which has been the most heavily hit.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We now have a longer list of what it's not. Most recent update I've seen is:

salmonella, campylobacter, algae poisoning, parvo, anthrax, tick-borne disease, rat poison (or similar), tularemia.

Food and treats are currently considered highly unlikely, as the autopsies and surveys are revealing no patterns in the kind of food/treats the affected dogs were eating.

They're also finding that it doesn't seem hugely contagious dog to dog, as the surveys are reporting frequent cases of one dog in a multi-dog household getting ill, and the rest being fine. Just heard this yesterday, don't know what it means yet.

They're looking into two bacteria - Providencia alcalifaciens and Clostridium perfringens - found in the majority of the autopsies, both known for causing diarrhea in humans, but neither have any record of causing such extreme symptoms or rapid death. Unclear if they're directly the cause, opportunists, or part of some kind of complex infection involving multiple pathogens.

No answers yet, but the apparent low infectivity is good news, at least. Just wish we knew how these dogs were getting sick in the first place. Death toll is now at 26.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Low infectivity is good news indeed but still, 26 dogs. That's just terrifying. I'm so glad they're so on top of this trying to figure out what it is.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll take any good news I can get right now. Low infectivity does beg the question how dogs all over the country are getting sick, of course, but at least it means the spread and toll will probably be slower/lower than we first feared. I just hope we DO get answers, eventually.

Though with the recent news eliminating ticks and reports of low infectivity, I think I'm going to risk getting Sam out in the woods soon. We know other dogs hike there, but it's not as crowded as town and it's unlikely we'll run into any face to face. Besides, poor boy is losing his mind being cooped up in the apartment with the puppy, no matter what enrichment/training we do.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It really does. That's what makes no sense. So many dogs sick but little evidence that it's a really contagious disease? The unknowns are scary. Because you can do everything right and STILL get it. I hope that everything remains safe for you and Sam!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Dog Food: It's not so much the individual "brand." But the manufacturers (and co-packers), who produce a lot of brands for other company names. Few do it in house anymore. Tularemia is the next huge issue (of toxicity) that due to a previous lack of publicity has been a problem remaining under the radar. Look for much more to be said about this, going forward. The issue behind dog food, is sourcing (not only processing)! Including 4D rendered meat, and the use of spoiled supporting ingredients (like what makes the carbs in a diet). With the recent (but collective) issues around flooding, and storms, lately (etc.) producers are looking for a way to salvage their land, and what can't be sold to retail. They look for a way to clean up their fields and unload waste. There are exchanges that buy up that material, and sell it at discount to producers who incorporate it into products. (Yes, there's a reason why the "Dollar Store" is able to sell a $3.50 can of dog food... for only a "dollar." Haven't you wondered why?). Rest assured no PF company is taking a hit on their profit. And a lot of restrictions on landfill, won't permit "animal carcasses" to be dumped in those areas. Guess what happens to that (rotting) protein? And guess how long it takes for that rotting protein to be processed? It sure isn't being refrigerated in the meantime! And cooking at high heat does NOT destroy all the bacteria. (Check out the issue of endotoxins).

The illnesses caused can not always be directly pinpointed. Except for the eventual shutdown of organs in the pet. That's exactly why the PFI gets away with it. So nobody supposes it could ever be the food. But (we have to ask) why is there suddenly of cluster of "unexplained" illnesses in dogs in certain areas. Deadly serious illnesses.

So switch to food with human edible ingredients, fit for retail. Feed fresh whole meat. Control the fillers you are using. And make sure the water sources are pure and free of contamination. When a dog eats inferior products over time, it looses its natural systemic defenses. And then makes it more vulnerable to other life threatening factors.

You can research anything you wish (to verify all this) on the Truth About Pet Food. Tens years of archived material. Much has been revealed through whistle blowers. And insider information. The FDA is NOT doing their job. And companion pets are considered of no more value than "livestock" and being fed in that manner. For short term maintenance.
This is not even happening in the USA...and this has nothing to do with the issue.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Pacific Sun

Dude.

We're not a third world country here. The top veterinary institute, the food safety authority, and various vet clinics/hospitals around the country are working on this. When they have ruled out a possibility, and announced that to the general public, they have a pretty darn good body of evidence to back that up. Just going to ignore that your first assumption was that the entire Norwegian veterinary community saw dogs dying with bloody diarrhea and somehow hadn't tested whether the cause was the virus best know for causing bloody diarrhea.

In the case of food, we are reasonably certain it's not involved. Out of 60+ surveys completed by people who've had dogs get sick or die with this, there is so far NO pattern of what food they've been eating. That means dogs eating crap supermarket kibble, fancy grain-free, European brands, North American brands, Norwegian brands, raw, canned, fresh rolls - no pattern to the type, brand, processing plant, etc. In addition, as I stated above, there's a pattern of only one dog in a multi-dog household getting sick. Some households do feed different foods to different dogs, but not most, and if the food was the problem we'd surely be seeing this hit most or every dog fed from the same batch. Additionally, food crosses borders. With 99% of cases being in Norway*, it makes NO sense that this is food related.

I'm not saying there's no problems in the commercial dog food industry. But it's REALLY not relevant here. I'm no epidemiologist and I can see that. It's really not helpful right now to assume that the veterinary community working hard to save our dogs is either incompetent or corrupt/lying, okay?

*Now there's suspected cases in Finnland and, somehow, Italy, but we're talking a couple, not the outbreak an entire contaminated batch would cause.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Does the age of the dogs have anything to do with it? Dogs with weak immune systems? Or is it quite indiscriminate?

Whatever it is, it sounds absolutely terrifying. I'm sorry you have to worry about this!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Age, breed, and location also seem to be currently unlikely based on the survey results, I'm afraid.

It's a frustrating experience, moreso by the day with Sam getting stir-crazy and the puppy now missing a week+ of prime socialization time. We do what we can in-home ofc, but it's not the same.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
Dog Food: It's not so much the individual "brand." But the manufacturers (and co-packers), who produce a lot of brands for other company names. Few do it in house anymore. Tularemia is the next huge issue (of toxicity) that due to a previous lack of publicity has been a problem remaining under the radar. Look for much more to be said about this, going forward. The issue behind dog food, is sourcing (not only processing)! Including 4D rendered meat, and the use of spoiled supporting ingredients (like what makes the carbs in a diet). With the recent (but collective) issues around flooding, and storms, lately (etc.) producers are looking for a way to salvage their land, and what can't be sold to retail. They look for a way to clean up their fields and unload waste. There are exchanges that buy up that material, and sell it at discount to producers who incorporate it into products. (Yes, there's a reason why the "Dollar Store" is able to sell a $3.50 can of dog food... for only a "dollar." Haven't you wondered why?). Rest assured no PF company is taking a hit on their profit. And a lot of restrictions on landfill, won't permit "animal carcasses" to be dumped in those areas. Guess what happens to that (rotting) protein? And guess how long it takes for that rotting protein to be processed? It sure isn't being refrigerated in the meantime! And cooking at high heat does NOT destroy all the bacteria. (Check out the issue of endotoxins).

The illnesses caused can not always be directly pinpointed. Except for the eventual shutdown of organs in the pet. That's exactly why the PFI gets away with it. So nobody supposes it could ever be the food. But (we have to ask) why is there suddenly of cluster of "unexplained" illnesses in dogs in certain areas. Deadly serious illnesses.

So switch to food with human edible ingredients, fit for retail. Feed fresh whole meat. Control the fillers you are using. And make sure the water sources are pure and free of contamination. When a dog eats inferior products over time, it looses its natural systemic defenses. And then makes it more vulnerable to other life threatening factors.

You can research anything you wish (to verify all this) on the Truth About Pet Food. Tens years of archived material. Much has been revealed through whistle blowers. And insider information. The FDA is NOT doing their job. And companion pets are considered of no more value than "livestock" and being fed in that manner. For short term maintenance.
Hijacking threads is against forum rules. The OP has made it clear that the authorities do not believe dog food is in any way responsible. If you wish to discuss the pros and cons of commercial dog foods, please start your own thread.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Minor update: giardia and cryptosporidium are now excluded, and a mutated strain of parvo has been deemed unlikely. Authorities have now received upwards of 102 surveys, and have a better grasp on the disease history. It seems the increase in dogs presenting with the relevant symptoms started around August 20th - makes me even more glad it doesn't seem to be very contagious. They're investigating the bacteria they've found more thoroughly, trying to figure out if it's all the same strain and the like. Small numbers of new cases are still being reported every couple days.

Our trainer's consulted with some of her friends and contacts in the veterinary community, and we'll be going back to puppy classes next Tuesday. She's arranged some extra precautions and we may not be doing any play sessions for the next week or two, and of course any puppy with any kind of diarrhea or vomiting isn't allowed to attend. Wish we had more answers, but at the same time Frodo's socialization window is closing fast, so we think it is, based on what we currently know, worth the risk. Still nerve-wracking. Same goes for starting up our trail walks with Sam again. It's all a risk, but we also have to balance their quality of life. Sigh.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Thanks for the update Daysleepers! I hope your pups remain safe and healthy! What a stressful time to be raising a puppy... But you are doing a great job and Frodo will be fine :) I hope the authorities find conclusive information soon.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
any possibility of a bad vaccine ingredient contamination? it would be something that many dogs get in many different areas that all come from a particular Lot # batch number from a single company..

Send good thoughts..

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't heard any discussion of that possibility, Patricia, but of course we're not getting updates on every single thing they're trying to test for or rule out. I know the surveys include information about locations the ill dogs have been, so I imagine if they've all been vaccinated recently then they'll pick up on that pattern. So far they still seem to be pursuing these bacterial species they've found as the most promising lead, but work continues on other possibilities too.

Eight more dogs reported sick today...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Distemper, coronavirus, and circovirus have joined the list of things it's probably not. Tests for yeast and 'mold' are negative... not sure if that means all fungal infections - my limited Norwegian fails me with this one. I'll have to see what my wife thinks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts