Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yorkie may have dementia. She doesn't respond to her name, paces around the room, stopped barking, sometimes stuck at corners, etc. My question is could it be due to a dog attack where my GS bit her on the neck shoulder area and she had to recover from that at the emergency months ago. Her neck was compressed I recall being told by the vet. I know the spine has to do with the brain but my guess vets will say it's age.

I want to know if there are stuff I can do to improve her brain memory or to not forget.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think you need to take her to the vet. Food or supplements might help slow progression but not reverse it. There is medication you can try if you see a professional.

·
Registered
438 Posts
We had a recent discussion on a Samoyed facebook page about Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind food. Several people say they saw noticeable improvement in their dog after a couple weeks. Another person said that at a dog show they were in a room with a bunch of judges and they were raving about the food.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
At least talk to the vet and get her checked out. There may be something they can do and there is a medication that is supposed to help slow the progression. You might also consider a blood panel if she hasn't had one recently, thyroid issues can cause similar symptoms and you want to make sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has thyroid and is on medication for that, the rest of her panel was good. I don't like to feed my dogs the Purina brand.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
She needs to see a vet. There is a medication to slow the progress of dementia, but the longer you wait, the less effective it is.

I find it highly unlikely a change in food will do anything, unless she was eating such utter garbage it was leaving her with nutritional deficiencies. The placebo effect is a very powerful force and can greatly affect how people perceive their pet's behavior.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I am quite sure if just feeding her something else would help, they would have found it for people who have dementia. They do have some drugs that help but there is no way of reversing it if it is actually dementia which it sounds like it is. It is too bad that it effects some dogs as they get older.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I agree if she's been on decent food the bright mind stuff isn't going to help. My golden had dementia before she passed and my mom tried it in desperation, but she wouldn't even touch the stuff (I don't blame her). Not sure which type of Nutro you are feeding, but looking at their lower end line even that one isn't too bad. Not something I'd feed personally, but she shouldn't be getting any deficiencies from that. Although I definitely saw an improvement in energy/over all condition in my older dogs switching them to a 'higher end' food that is more meat based, not an improvement in my golden's dementia though.

You aren't going to cure her dementia with random stuff you can buy online or at a store... it just doesn't work that way. Anything you give her would just be helping the rest of her body stay strong. The only chance of helping would be to take her to the vet, but seeing as you've waited this long it's likely a pretty ineffective option at this point, anyways.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I have a dog here that will be 17 in a couple of months.....
About six months ago she started changing...

She was getting AGGRESSIVE... Well met me correct that. She has always been a little human aggressive with those outside of the small circle of people she accepts. (She has always been amazingly gentle and devoted with HER people.) But she was never dog aggressive with dogs she knows and any dog that does not start crap with her. She carried our Labrador puppy around and tried to nest and nurse her until the Lab was almost as big as she was... She tried to nest and nurse the ACD puppy I got last May.

Well she started getting testy with the other dogs... I wrote it off as her getting old and grumpy. Then she went after my male ACD Merlin Full on attack mode twice. Luckily he dodged and weaved around her until I could grab her. But if she had got a piece of him, it would have gotten ugly QUICK. Both times I grabbed her she initially got testy with me... Then seemed to snap out of it. like "oh hi?"

It was a really dangerous situation.... She is still quite formidable and athletic. I would not want to have to go toe to toe with her...

She also seemed confused and "not there" a lot. She was withdrawn at times.... This has always been a HIGH management dog.... What if she did not know my wife or I any longer?

I considered having her euthanized... Rather than risk serious injury to one of the other dogs or my wife.

But my Vet put her on Anipryl. Thus far it is HELPING... A LOT... I have heard mixed results but for her it is working.
She is her old self.... I am still extra careful with her.... And do not let her out with any of the other dogs without me being right there.
And if I am not here, she is crated or in a room.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sassy would get stuck in corners, poor thing. She couldn't see well and was having some trouble getting around. I don't know that it was dementia so much as just being really old. The vet called her spinal problem degenerative myelopathy but it wasn't the genetic kind that takes dogs down fast, her hind feet had been knuckling under for years. Maybe a lot of brain power has to be diverted to simple locomotion when spinal function is impaired, don't know. I think so, when I was regaining strength and rebuilding muscles after a serious accident I'd be tired mentally as much as physically.

Make sure she is well hydrated. Sassy had kidney disease and was all mopey and distant. Her numbers got bad enough that subcutaneous fluids could be helpful and they were. The day after her first treatment she was a different dog. I am not saying your oldster needs subQs. Just be aware and try to be sure she gets about the suggested amount into her daily. Sassy just plain wouldn't drink water as she aged but she would finish any water added to her meals. If you are feeling like watered down kibble looks pretty awful [it does but she ate it anyway] maybe buy a can of good quality dog food and mix a spoonful of that into water to make gravy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had good luck with giving Cholodin to my 13 year old springer a few years ago. It is not super expensive & readily available. She seemed to improve for a while as soon as she started taking it. I think it is marketed for dementia.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
If you like the idea of Purina Bright Mind (Medium chain fatty acids), then you might talk to your Vet for his opinion of high dose fish oil and a teaspoon to tablespoon of organic coconut oil. Shep didn't have dementia, but the oils helped his arthritis for a few months...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree if she's been on decent food the bright mind stuff isn't going to help. My golden had dementia before she passed and my mom tried it in desperation, but she wouldn't even touch the stuff (I don't blame her). Not sure which type of Nutro you are feeding, but looking at their lower end line even that one isn't too bad. Not something I'd feed personally, but she shouldn't be getting any deficiencies from that. Although I definitely saw an improvement in energy/over all condition in my older dogs switching them to a 'higher end' food that is more meat based, not an improvement in my golden's dementia though.

You aren't going to cure her dementia with random stuff you can buy online or at a store... it just doesn't work that way. Anything you give her would just be helping the rest of her body stay strong. The only chance of helping would be to take her to the vet, but seeing as you've waited this long it's likely a pretty ineffective option at this point, anyways.
Lamb and Rice

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At least talk to the vet and get her checked out. There may be something they can do and there is a medication that is supposed to help slow the progression. You might also consider a blood panel if she hasn't had one recently, thyroid issues can cause similar symptoms and you want to make sure.
She does have Thyroids.. Which similar symptoms?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sassy would get stuck in corners, poor thing. She couldn't see well and was having some trouble getting around. I don't know that it was dementia so much as just being really old. The vet called her spinal problem degenerative myelopathy but it wasn't the genetic kind that takes dogs down fast, her hind feet had been knuckling under for years. Maybe a lot of brain power has to be diverted to simple locomotion when spinal function is impaired, don't know. I think so, when I was regaining strength and rebuilding muscles after a serious accident I'd be tired mentally as much as physically.

Make sure she is well hydrated. Sassy had kidney disease and was all mopey and distant. Her numbers got bad enough that subcutaneous fluids could be helpful and they were. The day after her first treatment she was a different dog. I am not saying your oldster needs subQs. Just be aware and try to be sure she gets about the suggested amount into her daily. Sassy just plain wouldn't drink water as she aged but she would finish any water added to her meals. If you are feeling like watered down kibble looks pretty awful [it does but she ate it anyway] maybe buy a can of good quality dog food and mix a spoonful of that into water to make gravy.
Yeah some of them don't like drinking much water. I'll make sure they are getting the suggested amount. This doggy had a panel a few months ago and her results were okay. She was attacked by my large dog though by her neck / spine area. Did the spine have to do with those symptoms? Could it be something related to that instead?

What's the subQs for?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a dog here that will be 17 in a couple of months.....
About six months ago she started changing...

She was getting AGGRESSIVE... Well met me correct that. She has always been a little human aggressive with those outside of the small circle of people she accepts. (She has always been amazingly gentle and devoted with HER people.) But she was never dog aggressive with dogs she knows and any dog that does not start crap with her. She carried our Labrador puppy around and tried to nest and nurse her until the Lab was almost as big as she was... She tried to nest and nurse the ACD puppy I got last May.

Well she started getting testy with the other dogs... I wrote it off as her getting old and grumpy. Then she went after my male ACD Merlin Full on attack mode twice. Luckily he dodged and weaved around her until I could grab her. But if she had got a piece of him, it would have gotten ugly QUICK. Both times I grabbed her she initially got testy with me... Then seemed to snap out of it. like "oh hi?"

It was a really dangerous situation.... She is still quite formidable and athletic. I would not want to have to go toe to toe with her...

She also seemed confused and "not there" a lot. She was withdrawn at times.... This has always been a HIGH management dog.... What if she did not know my wife or I any longer?

I considered having her euthanized... Rather than risk serious injury to one of the other dogs or my wife.

But my Vet put her on Anipryl. Thus far it is HELPING... A LOT... I have heard mixed results but for her it is working.
She is her old self.... I am still extra careful with her.... And do not let her out with any of the other dogs without me being right there.
And if I am not here, she is crated or in a room.
How has the Anipryl improved her?

Mine isn't aggressive towards anyone but she used to be the dominant and barked at everyone.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yeah some of them don't like drinking much water. I'll make sure they are getting the suggested amount. This doggy had a panel a few months ago and her results were okay. She was attacked by my large dog though by her neck / spine area. Did the spine have to do with those symptoms? Could it be something related to that instead?

What's the subQs for?
Sassy had kidney disease and fluid injected under the skin helps hydrate better than drinking water for some reason. If you have ever gone hiking without enough water you may remember how tired you got and how it was hard to think straight. Dehydration is really debilitating.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sassy had kidney disease and fluid injected under the skin helps hydrate better than drinking water for some reason. If you have ever gone hiking without enough water you may remember how tired you got and how it was hard to think straight. Dehydration is really debilitating.
Thanks for the information. Yeah it gets very hot outside here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts