Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our 1 yr old puppy for aprox 12 days now. For the most part he was a good boy, until he decided it's entertaining to chase a squirrel in our yard. All the sudden he started digging for the last couple of days. I caught him once but maybe he wasn't digging but observing? . The squirrel digs holes as well in my flower pots and garden and hides things, could he have picked up a bad habit? I take him out and wait and wait till he does his business but he is too busy playing and chasing the squirrel, so I engage him in playing as well so he has a good run and has a distraction from the squirrel? Finally I get tired and go in but come back to check on him a few minutes later, I don't know when he manages to find enough time to dig a new hole, so now I'm questioning who is digging the holes? The other day I went to wash his paws but the water came out clean? Maybe he is getting blamed when it's not him at all?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Digging is really good doggy fun. If you don't want him digging in your gardens, then you can't leave him out there unsupervised. If you do, he will create his own fun. Take him out on leash & walk him around until he relieves himself. This will eliminate the problem of getting distracted & 'forgetting' to go. Afterwards, you can reward him with some off leash playtime, and then bring him inside when you want/need to.

You might also consider building him a special area to dig in. A child's sandbox works, or you can build a spot in a corner of the yard & fill it with sand. Then part of his playtime can include you encouraging him to dig in that spot. Bury toys/treats in it & let him sniff/dig them out. When you have a dog that really loves digging, it's usually much easier to redirect it, then eliminate it entirely (and a lot more fun & enriching for the dog!)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Yes, the best solutions for digging are often supervision and/or creating an appropriate space and training the dog to dig there, instead. Some dogs will naturally stop digging as much with an increase in mental or physical stimulation (so more training, enrichment, or exercise), but for others it's more of a hard-wired thing where they just do it for the love of it.

There's some fixes like filling the holes with larger stones that might put a band-aid on the issue, but unless it's to prevent digging in a very specific spot (eg, attempting to tunnel under a fence), you'll likely just wind up with a bunch of rock-filled holes all over the yard and a dog who keeps finding new digging spots.

I do find it suspect that he doesn't have dirt on his paws. Not my experience with my digger at all, haha.

Oh, and if you do go the sandbox route, consider making a cover for it if you have any free-roaming cats in your area. Your dog might appreciate the 'snacks' they'll leave, but I doubt you will, haha.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No dirt, and I did all 4 paws? I just did a good brush down and checked and combed through the paw area, nothing???? That squirrel did do damage before he even came so I know what they are capable of?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your helpful advice just in case it's him. I spend a lot of time supervising him, but he never does any digging when I'm around except for the one time, I only seen his back end in the air standing over the hole that either he or something else dug LoL, I have no proof? .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts