Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The cause is s/he's a dog. To stop it you have to supervise the pup. When not abole to supervise the pup should be confined in a crate, ex-pen, or puppy-proofed dog run/pen.

Give the pup a place where it's ok to dig such as a sand box where you hide treats and toys for him/her to find. Teach the pup that this place is his/her place where digging brings praise (from you) and rewards (finding special toys/treats). If you catch her/him in the act of digging anywhere else, correct the pup (a firm "no") and redirect to the sand box (or digging place).

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Yes, perfectly normal. But, that being said, if you don't want the dog digging up your yard, give it a place it can dig and correct it when it digs anywhere else.

Also, since digging can be an indicator of a bored dog, make sure your dog has enough physical and mental exercise. Goldens need at least a good 30 minutes twice a day of aerobic exercise and plenty of mental stimulation as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do you walk your puppy ? Is the dog outside for long period of time ? Does the dog have a lot of energy ?

·
Registered
673 Posts
my dog is a BIG DIGGER. No matter what, she digs and buries, she even digs in her bed and "thinks" she has her treats buried:p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I do walk my dog. In the morning and in the evening. She plays in the backyard a lot, but when she is in the house she likes to lay down. She is still 3 months old. So, what do you think baorb?

·
Registered
640 Posts
All three of mine dig like mad, and they all get plenty of physical exercise and mental stimulation. It's just fun for them. I have a sand pit under the deck where they are free to dig to their heart's content... much better than when two little puppies were attempting to dig up a 100-year-old oak tree! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All three of mine dig like mad, and they all get plenty of physical exercise and mental stimulation. It's just fun for them. I have a sand pit under the deck where they are free to dig to their heart's content... much better than when two little puppies were attempting to dig up a 100-year-old oak tree! :D
That's great!!! so I have nothing to worry about right?

·
Registered
640 Posts
That's right... nothing at all to worry about... just provide an outlet for all that digging energy and you'll be fine!

Oh, forgot to mention, Dixon does that "digging on the bed" thing too... and into sofa cushions... usually she's either burying a toy or digging it up. We affectionately call it "playing squirrel." (Much to our chagrin, she once "dug up" a stale hunk of BREAD from under a sofa cushion. No clue how she had gotten hold of that, nor how long it had been there!! :eek:)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes I do walk my dog. In the morning and in the evening. She plays in the backyard a lot, but when she is in the house she likes to lay down. She is still 3 months old. So, what do you think baorb?
Does she only dig when your not there ? My siberian husky does that. If she does it when your there, you can make a correction or a distraction. Seems like she is just bored. Training will help drain some of her energy.
You can also use a crate when you can't watch her.
Digging isn't a bad thing, unless a nice backyard is what you want. My puppy just chew everything.
Good luck. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does she only dig when your not there ? My siberian husky does that. If she does it when your there, you can make a correction or a distraction. Seems like she is just bored. Training will help drain some of her energy.
You can also use a crate when you can't watch her.
Digging isn't a bad thing, unless a nice backyard is what you want. My puppy just chew everything.
Good luck. :D
She digs only when the house help is watching over her. When I'm home it isn't much of a problem.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I'd say your house help isn't giving her enough attention. Digging is fun for dogs, so they do it when they don't have any other fun. I had a golden retriever who used to dig up the sod in the bakc yard everytime he'd get left out longer he shoulda been. He got bored and started digging for amusment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts