Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a six year old, well behaved lab. We adopted a beagle/boxer mix the beginning of this year. She is about 1.5 years old.She was very quiet when we got her, didnt get into much. Then she started destroying everything. She has been difficult to train. It took awhile just to get her to stop peeing and pooping in the house. We ended up having to baby gate the upstairs of our old house because thats where she would go to use the bathroom. We would tell her no, show her where she did her business and put her outside. It finally was under control. We play with her a lot and walk her and the other dog daily. She would still have attention seeking (to me) behaviors. Constantly stealing things and trying to eat them. She would get into anything she could and almost ate some bad stuff that could hurt her. We then had to move because of a job change. She started being a bit aggressive with her wrestling with our older dog to where she wouldnt let go of his neck and it really scared us. She wouldnt release to where my husband had to pry her jaw off. And we expected some house accidents due to stress of the move. We have been here almost a month now. We had accidents at first but we kept telling her no, bad, and taking her outside. We take them on a leash to use bathroom every 3-4 hours during the day. She was fine for a week. We had to leave the house for about four hours. When we came back she went to the bathroom all over. We assumed she just couldnt hold it. Now today she went pee outside, came inside and took a poop. We are at our wits end. We have to keep our eyes on her constantly or she gets into something or uses the bathroom on our brand new carpet. We are having a fence installed June 1st for them. We just dont know what to do to train her. Please any tips I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Have done any training with her at all? She sounds desperate for some guidance. I'd put her on house arrest. She has to be in the room with a responsible adult at all times and isn't allowed access to your other dog without supervision. Take her to potty every hour, while she doesn't need to go that often you may be missing times she does need to go. Be sure to give her praise and a little cookie when she potties. Watch her when the dogs are together and interrupt when she is starting to get riled up. Starting, not when riled up, big difference. Maybe zero bouncing is allowed. Maybe open mouth is not allowed. Teach her obedience basics formally and use the words as often as you can - before she's being a stinker!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean we have tried to train her. When we got her from the pound she was almost out of control when we got her home. She would steal something and would not just give it up to where we would have to give in to her game and chase her but it was usually because she grabbed something not dog friendly. And it’s not that we left stuff out it’s that she would open cabinets. We would take it off her say no and give her a toy to play with and then praise her. A lot of the time with her accidents , she would do them when we weren’t looking and then it’s too late to scold and take outside. She does have an adult home at all times but it’s like we do need to leave for an hour or so here and there. We walk her before any time that we leave. When we are home the older lab is always in the room with one of us. We will start interrupting their wrestle time. They used to love it so it will be hard to distract them because the neck biting is new. Any tips on the potty training aspect?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
You need a crate and total vigilance. Showing a dog her mess and telling her no simply is antiquated and teaches the dog nothing EXCEPT to avoid going potty in front of you or near you or when you are present.

Get a crate only big enough for the dog to turn around in and lay down in. Take her out. If she pees/poops outside make it a party and FEED her something GOOD like Cooked chicken or roast beef. Make it the best thing ever to go bathroom outside. Bring her in and immediately crate her.

End access to the other dog. For now. In fact, I would structure their play time to the yard and only when watching them and for a limited amount of time but that won't happen for a few MONTHS.

Do not walk them together. Walk them separately. REWARD REWARD REWARD this dog for doing the right thing. Everyone wants to correct a dog. Most people forget to really reward.. and I mean over the top reward.. for any good behavior. Most people correct a dog for doing things "wrong" and the dog has no idea in the dog's eyes why she just got corrected. Corrections only happen after MONTHS of rewarding and building the right behavior and you need to do that first.

You dog has no idea what you want. Add structure and clarity to this dog's life (crate, walks, rewards for doing the right things) and the dog will be MUCH happier and so will you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts